Do Officers Gain XP by Playing Cards?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

phatkarp

Do Officers Gain XP by Playing Cards?

Post by phatkarp »

It seems like they do. Can anyone confirm this?
Tac2i

RE: Do Officers Gain XP by Playing Cards?

Post by Tac2i »

Officers gain experience when the troops they command are involved in combat. If playing a card entails combat, then I'd expect some experience increase. If just playing a card also increases experience I can't say.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Yes they win experience. One of my offcers won 20 xp using the sabotage card and later 10 xp using the fortify card. I suppose the amount of experience gained depends on the risk.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

Cool. I had an officer gain a level after playing the operational planning card from my Supreme HQ, which made me suspicious. Anyways, good to know.

Another officer question: Any idea exactly how risky "medium risk" is? Or "low risk"?
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

In the same game another officer got 25 xp using the charge card and a few turns later got 10 xp with the pillage card. It looks the risk depends on the card you choose, it doesn´t matter the number of enemy casualties.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

I played a blitzkrieg card to support an attack on a heavily fortified enemy city. My attack failed, with lots of casualties. The officer emerged unscathed.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

I made a suicidal attack using the charge card (it was a disaster to me [:(]) but the officer won 21 xp. Your officer always gets experience in this kind of cards (even if the action is a failure) because he´s commanding units.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
GunnyJarhead

Post by GunnyJarhead »

I have seen the cards mentioned...but have never seen one in the game. I am playing the ERM_EAI_Leaders Mod. Do those cards work in that mod? anybody know? Maybe Ill go back and play the vanilla upgrade to see when they pop up. Maybe I'm to dense to have noticed that they were available to me.
Some people are still alive only because it is illegal to kill them.
lancer

Post by lancer »

G'day Gunny,

The Mod is no different, card wise, to the standard game.

The way the Officers are designed you only get the opportunity to gain a card when your Officer levels up and they need to pass a random roll to do so. I'm also pretty sure that if you don't have any staff in your HQ then your Officer won't gain experience and hence won't ever level up.

Specifically you get a 20% base chance of gaining a card, when promoted. This is bumped +15% if you have the 'bright' feat and you get a +40% bonus if you have no cards in your hand. So gaining your first card is basically a 60% chance each time you level up and after that you drop to 20%.

Sometimes you end up with cards early and other times you have to wait a while.

The cards are easy to miss if you don't know where to look. They are little card icons next to the Officer portraits (right hand side, under their names).

Cheers,
Lancer
GunnyJarhead

Post by GunnyJarhead »

Lancer,

OK..thanks..I knew where they were located at. I like to play a slow game...have not had to many officers that have leveled up yet..and they may not have passed the random check to get any cards yet.I cant wait to get one!

By the way....I HATE Commerce Raiders!!
Some people are still alive only because it is illegal to kill them.
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

Another question: after you play a card, do they randomly replenish, or is that something that only occurs again when you level up?

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”