Windows 8

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

HowieWowie

Windows 8

Post by HowieWowie »

Attempting to get CoH running on my new PC. I downloaded 1.17 and installed. Everything seemed to go OK. I'm running Win 8. Shows up as PS 2.0 Shader CoH on Start menu. I've tried to run as Admin and straight up and get the message that CoH has stopped working. Any ideas?

I also have Command Ops which I have yet to try and Gary Gigsby's A World Divided.
Andrew Loveridge

RE: Windows 8

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

We have done some testing with Win 8 and have not seen this issue. Have you tried updating your drivers? If you upgraded to Win 8 you may need to get drivers that have been updated for Win 8.
What are your system specs? Could you attach a DxDiag?

Command Ops seems to be Win 8 Compatible, but we haven't tested A World Divided to see if it is yet.
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

I have the same problem.

Installed and upgraded COH to latest version.

When I try to run I get "COH stopped working"

I tried different compatibility settings, no luck.

dxdiag attached
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(57.38 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

Here is some additional info from Windows Log:

Faulting application name: HexGame.exe, version: 1.18.4773.24412, time stamp: 0x5102d008
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988950
Exception code: 0xe0434f4d
Fault offset: 0x00014b32
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Headshock,

Im going over your problem and trying to replicate it now. Couple things you can try in the mean time is making sure your video drivers are up to date and install a Direct x 9.0. Although it should have been included in the instillation package of the game. I will get back with you as soon as I have more Info for you.
Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

Hi,

I installed this version of DX9
www-dot-microsoft-dot-com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Also I updated my video driver.

No change, stil "COH stopped working"
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Sorry to hear you are having problems. This error looks to be in in some .NET or XNA initialization code and probably isn't occurring inside of the actual game code (the code is for an "unhandled CLR exception" and the very first thing COH does is set up exception handlers for these sorts of things.) Unless your .NET install has been corrupted, my guess would be that your problem is an issue with your video driver. I notice in your DxDiag file that your driver is listed as 9.18.13.1100. According to NVidia this was released on Jan 29, 2013. It seems they've had several new drivers released since then, the latest on March 5th, version 9.18.13.1414. I would recommending updating to that driver version and seeing whether that resolves the issue. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling .NET with any anti-virus programs turned off (there are known issues in which some AV programs prevent .NET from installing properly -- the AV programs seem to flag certain .NET components as being dangerous and prevent them from running.)
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

I've updated the GFX driver to the latest from NVIDIA site.

Reinstalled .NET

Can't get the game to run...
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

I have no problem running "Battle Academy" and "Unity of Command"
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I've read further on some programming and Microsoft blogs about this error. The two most commonly cited causes are (1) corrupted .NET install and (2) security settings that prevent file read/writes. It seems as though you've addressed both these things by reinstalling .NET and running in Admin mode. I have read that reinstalling .NET is sometimes not sufficient to fix .NET corruption problems, and sadly there are some .NET install problems that do not seem to be easily fixed apart from a clean Windows reinstall. One commonly cited problem associated with .NET corruption and this error is the presence of 32-bit .NET libraries on 64-bit machines; I don't know whether that is a possibility in your case. As for security, even in Admin mode it is possible to deny programs permission to read/write from your Documents folder -- either by setting explicit permissions denying that, or by settings on firewall / antivirus programs. You might try right-clicking on your Documents folder | Properties | Security and making sure that "Permissions for SYSTEM" enable read/write access, and checking your firewall/AV programs to make sure nothing prevents access to your Documents folder (maybe trying running the game with these programs temporarily disabled). I hope this helps. I will keep reading programming blogs about this error.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Eric, couldn't the UAC also be the culprit?
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

I had a problem getting COH to run under Windows 7 sometime back. Turned out the problem was that I had the most recent update from NVIDIA. After spending over and hour and a half on the phone with a technician, he rolled back the NVIDIA up date and voila, problem solved. Don't know if you have the same issue, but it might be worth considering.

TomC
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
Eric, couldn't the UAC also be the culprit?

Ah yes, UAC settings might also be an issue.
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

Checked permissions on install folder for CoH and documents folder. User SYSTEM has all priv. except "Special Permisson"

Disabled .NET 3.5 from Control Panel (Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off)

Rebooted

Disabled Firewall and AV (MS Defender)

Enabled .NET 3.5 from Control Panel (Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off)

Reboot

Still not working.
Headshock

Post by Headshock »

Uninstalled CoH

Rebooted

Disabled Firewall and AV

Installed Coh

Working! Yeehaa!

Thanks for all the help!
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I'm very glad to hear you got it working.

Return to “Tech Support”