Distant Worlds: Shadows

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

HectorOfTroy

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

Post by HectorOfTroy »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The extended development schedule has pushed back the promotional schedule. Just because it's been pushed back doesn't mean that it won't happen. I'll post up another preview as soon as we have the next build. Elliot's in the process of moving house which has slowed things down a bit but we are in the final stretch.

Regards,

- Erik

Cool, just putting it out there about StarDrive, I think it is competition to you guys.

Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

From another thread.
I'd say sometime in April, we're getting close to final balance and stability levels but a few more beta builds will be required.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy
Cool, just putting it out there about StarDrive, I think it is competition to you guys.

I've checked in on them once in a while, they seem like a good team and the game looks promising. I'm sorry I missed their Kickstarter, but unfortunately too busy to catch them all. Hoping to have a chance to play it once it's publicly available and I find some free time. [8D]

However, please keep this thread on topic. StarDrive discussion is fine, but it belongs in its own thread in the General Discussion forum.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

Hi all, my first post here.

"zero" Custom Service manager of StarDrive project equal to Erik here, say about Distant Worlds:
- we have better graphics
- our game is cheaper
- Distant world have more complex economy
- our ship design is faaar better

I think this 4 points are explain evrything [:D] So, i'm still like DW, and my private opinion is whenever devs decide get new path for DW don't forget what make this game so cool, complex economy(complex is good, complicated is bad). All those freighters hanging around, traffics problems, material shortages etc.

So if DW still go in actuall right direction, this expansion give us better ground combat, and another be cheaper, get graphics like StarDrive and better ship design there is no other product on market who can competite with DW. Can be remembered as game of 21 century like Master of Orion century ago [&o]

Thanks.
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

Damn Im looking out for the new expansion [:D]
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

"zero" Custom Service manager of StarDrive project equal to Erik here, say about Distant Worlds:
- we have better graphics
- our game is cheaper
- Distant world have more complex economy
- our ship design is faaar better

To be honest there is a whole stack of games in the last few years for which the same is true, but for one reason or another they just don't compare with DW. DW is easily moddable which a lot of people forget. Stuff with 3D graphics generally is not as easy to mod, especially strategy games that require many models. Unlike creating a single model for a car for a racing game for example, in strategy you may have to design 30 (for just one faction), not easy even for a professional!

I'm quite curious to try it but I have a whole backlog of other games I can't afford that I need to get through first [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

I've played both. If you could shoehorn SD's graphics, combat, and ship design system into DW's framework you'd have the 4X game of the decade. Period.
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
CrispMPS

Post by CrispMPS »

Really looking forward to this expansion!
republicofpepsi

Post by republicofpepsi »

Is there any new info that can be shared, or an approximate release date?
martok

Post by martok »

Erik has said they're hoping to release sometime in April (link).

That's still subject to change, of course; but either way, it sounds like we're finally starting to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. [8D]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: martok
it sounds like we're finally starting to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. [8D]

That's just an oncoming train!! [X(]
noego

Post by noego »

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

I've played both. If you could shoehorn SD's graphics, combat, and ship design system into DW's framework you'd have the 4X game of the decade. Period.
SD

If I had to crossbreed anything, it'd be Distant Worlds with Starsector (formerly Starfarer.) No one would play any other game again.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

If I could crossbreed dogs with cats, I would have the ultimate pet. No one would buy dogs or cats again. Maybe.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

If I could crossbreed dogs with cats, I would have the ultimate pet. No one would buy dogs or cats again. Maybe.

Woew

Darkspire
Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: VorteeX
One thing both games have in common is, very tiny interface on high resolution screen. Designing a fighter is funny, it's a small blip in the middle and I couldn't find a way to zoom in. The letters denoting the blocks were unreadable, so I had to click on a module to see where it could go (green/red).

Now, back to the Distant Worlds expansion. Going to get it of course, and I postponed my DW gaming until expansion gets released. DW is already a great game, and this expansion looks to add even more depth.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

You may be interested in this interview:

http://www.net4war.com/news.php?id_news=880

(Please note, the English translation is at the bottom of the interview)

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Mon dieu!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Some higher resolution versions of the screenshots in that interview:

Attachments
dwsh1.jpg
dwsh1.jpg (304.59 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Attachments
dwsh2.jpg
dwsh2.jpg (354.2 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Attachments
dwsh3.jpg
dwsh3.jpg (374.82 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”