ImproveUrGame!!DW Legends 100%

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

unidterror

ImproveUrGame!!DW Legends 100%

Post by unidterror »

Just goto Options under "Advanced settings" and remove--> "display nebulae clouds in systems" Just decrease your FPS to 15 or anything lower then 50.tbh or just remove--> "unlimited" FPS... put star Density all the way down, and increase your system cache to 12mb if you have the space.
This has worked Amazingly for me 100% better when you have the largest MAPs 16x16 with 1400+Stars. give it a go.. it will make your game faster. did for me.
Youll notice the improvement of speed mostly in the bigger maps only.
those are my favority types.. with all races.[>:]
Martian

RE: ImproveUrGame!!DW Legends 100%

Post by Martian »

Thank you for sharing your idea, but still this is all pretty useless. After few hours of play on a big map with many races the game becomes almost unplayable. I guess the only way to solve this problem is to update the game's engine to use a GPU on video card. Right now AFAIK it`s CPU only... Plus with the help of GPU a game's mechanics can be significantly improved including interface's windows management and a very smooth and HQ zooming will be possible. And more CPU's resources can be used by AI. I am sure Elliot already realize quite well that current engine limits game's rich capabilities much. It's just a matter of time that new engine will be written. So I am really looking forward for that day to come soon... [;)]
unidterror

Post by unidterror »

thats really weird cause ive playing a huge game 20 races and full 16x16 1400+ stars and i can play my game with no problems....

what i think is your problem possibly, is all the addons you've added to your game causing gamelag is that possible, maybe weapons mod or added your own custom shipsets this does increase LAG by huge proportions since the custom shipsets KB(size) are usualy much bigger then original shipsets which have accumalated effect. Little accumulation builds up in the long run and become 4x the size of original.

Also what your computer cpu.

Igot

System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A1, 27/11/2009

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 19.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 16.7 GB
Page File Space 11.9 GB

this help me run this game smooths as butter on HUGE maps
this game run my memory up to 3.01 gb private memory allocated to game only 1,260,580k lol
as a matter of fact im playing the game while i chat in this forum. HUGE game.. 20+ races 16x16 1400+ stars.. and my CPU usage at 0% atm
Martian

Post by Martian »

Don't get me wrong unidterror, I understand that you probably are very proud about your specs, but do I really need to know so much details about your PC?
Just mentioning something like "Core i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz with 8GB of RAM" is more than sufficient.

I am glad it runs smooth on your PC.
But not everyone have such specs, especially if they use laptop.

I have comparable PC (CoreQuad @ 3.6 Ghz with 8 GB of RAM) and game runs nice and smooth in the beginning. But later in game as empires grow big with hundreds of ships and spaceports in galaxy, frame rate falls to about 10-15fps, especially in the sector-scale zoom level where individual ships and planets are not visible (actually at the closest zoom game runs smoother, so obviously shipsets and other images are not a problem). And I don't use any ship or planets mods. I use only landscapes, ruins and races mods.
I think the main slowdown comes from ship's routing and trade-economy computing by CPU. The size of galaxy is not a problem here as it affects memory usage mostly. It's the increasing number of ships and spaceports makes game run slower, I think.
And don't forget that all these lags appear with lowest graphical settings. When I turn on nebula and increase stars density things go much worse.
Also from my observations this game use only 1 CPU core at a time.
So again I am really looking forward to new engine for this great game! [&o]

P.S. If your CPU usage is 0% then probably game pauses when you switch to browser. [;)]
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

how much modding in here ! [/sarcasm]
Martian

Post by Martian »

to Mad Igor
Agree, this thread should be in a general DW forum.
Hey, moderators! [:)]

Return to “Design and Modding”