Screenshots on product page

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

Garnier

Screenshots on product page

Post by Garnier »

The six screenshots on the SOWGB product page are pretty ugly compared to the real game, I think. Not only are they not really interesting scenes, they use some graphics from a pre-release version of the game that look really bad.

I have hundreds of screenshots accumulated from years of playing this game, some of them look much nicer and would be more likely to entice new players to buy the game. Some of these have been used in previous news articles about SOW. They're all from real multiplayer battles, so they're also less artificial.

Here's some that I've cropped to 1024x768. If it's possible to get the screenshots on the product page changed to these or something better, it would likely lead to some more sales. I've put these in the public domain to whatever extent that is possible, so modifying and publishing them is not a problem.

Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Blond_Knight

RE: Screenshots on product page

Post by Blond_Knight »

Wow those are nice shots. I bought it today.
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, nice Garnier. Especially the modded tree colors. Since you did use mods to enhance some aspects, how about my DRF's? Just funnin' with ya, I know what you think of stuff that bogs down FPS. However with my new texture sheets coming with CV that include the Union Flags, FPS is actually improved over the stock flags. So, something that you might reconsider.
Designer - Scourge of War
Scott Parrino

Post by Scott Parrino »

Nice shots Garnier, are any of those shots of the base game and without mods?
Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

With the caveat that we can only show unmodded screenshots that include the graphics that come with the game, we would love to post better screenshots and use them for any future promotional releases. Can you send the highest resolution versions that you have to me at erikr@matrixgames.com please?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

As a side note, if there are mods that the community agrees improve the look of the game, we can certainly discuss with Norb and the modders whether we could include those as official in the game in the future.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

Unfortunately no, they all have one mod -- the tree color is changed from the neon green. I don't know anyone who doesn't use that. I'm hoping eventually they will fix the tree color in a patch..

I did take some screenshots in the first couple weeks after the game was released that might have the neon trees, I'll look.

Edit: in response to your latest post, everyone has been using Jolly's Terrain mod since it came out two years ago.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/22473-trees-terrain
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks, does anyone have an e-mail address for Jolly? If so, please put him in contact with me at erikr@matrixgames.com and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

I do, I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

Edit: You should be getting an email from him, Erik.
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Jolly aka Davidd is top notch in terrain design, he's a professional graphic artist out of GB. He's been around for years enhancing both the TC and NSD productions, for free. Even builds upon request. We did a joint design effort with TC2M building the battle and winter terrain for Prairie Grove.

Email address: ddriver at ddriver.plus dot com
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

For the upcoming Chancellorsville release I would consider it an honor if my most recent flag designs were included with some promotional screenshots. They are only included as a mod (CV Extras) because of the map expansion guidelines excluding files that are necessary to include objects such as flags.

Also, I am now working on some High Rez models that really show off detail. Let me know, and I'll have several ready for some nice HD flags in action, enhancing close up battle sequences.
Mikesla

Post by Mikesla »

Very nice Screenies there Garnier.
William Tecumseh Sherman: I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Garnier

Unfortunately no, they all have one mod -- the tree color is changed from the neon green. I don't know anyone who doesn't use that. I'm hoping eventually they will fix the tree color in a patch..

I did take some screenshots in the first couple weeks after the game was released that might have the neon trees, I'll look.

Edit: in response to your latest post, everyone has been using Jolly's Terrain mod since it came out two years ago.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/22473-trees-terrain
I loaded down this fine mod.
But what to do with these Excel files in the Logistics folder? [&:]
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

The mod is complete, kinda like an app. Individual files are not moved, unless you're melding mods. Applying mods to the game is very simple, place in the Mods folder and enable 'in game' in the Modifications window. Full instructions can be found on the SOW website.

I think this is what you are asking...
Mikesla

Post by Mikesla »

You always had a good eye there Garnier. Good photos, it does the game justice.
William Tecumseh Sherman: I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

As a side note, if there are mods that the community agrees improve the look of the game, we can certainly discuss with Norb and the modders whether we could include those as official in the game in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

I'm in favor of this, hopefully allowing the mods to be used with the stock scenarios. Especially the graphic mods. Why was is it made so no mods could work with the stock scenarios, just wondering. somebody must of had a good reason.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

ORIGINAL: **budd**
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regards,

- Erik

I'm in favor of this, hopefully allowing the mods to be used with the stock scenarios. Especially the graphic mods. Why was is it made so no mods could work with the stock scenarios, just wondering. somebody must of had a good reason.

The stock scenarios are available in the SDK, available for download, then they can be copied, renamed and played in 'User Scenarios' as mods with mods.

GB stock scenarios don't permit mods because mods can allow cheating towards promotion, earning Generals' Stars and Bars.
budd

Post by budd »

ok, where can i get the SDK [the link to sdk 2.0 on the sowg website doesnt work] and step by step instructions on what i have to do. Thx for the help.

I see the forum link to the sdk 1.4 beta is that it?

budd

Post by budd »

Ok, i think i got it working. Looks alot better without the lime trees, thx again for your help.

It really wasn't as difficult as i imagined. The game is better off with these mods, thank you modders.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”