possible new updated manual in PDF?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GeorgePatton

possible new updated manual in PDF?

Post by GeorgePatton »

Kudos to the dev team on the latest update in 2012 to AE but will a new updated manual will be available in PDF form? It's been almost 3 years since the game came out and already it's gone through so many changes.

I'm actually lost as to what some of the notations means now on the various LCU, base, naval unit lists etc. that are not in the printed manual that I had received in the boxed version in 2009. Having to go back through all the changes on the list is quite daunting as I find it hard to reconcile what got updated and what got deleted etc.

I'd be willing to buy a completely new manual as well if some of the major changes were incorporated into a new updated book [&o]

Thanks

War...war never changes.
Xavier5733

RE: possible new updated manual in PDF?

Post by Xavier5733 »

+1
nate25

Post by nate25 »

I'd purchase this as well. Looks like quite a few new features that, if you're new like me, need to be explained.

Thanks,
Nate
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Looking at the product page, it says in one place the boxed version comes with a 196 page full color manual. In another place it say a 330 pg. yada yada yada (the old book). I don't think they could have boiled down the original plus changes and additions to 196 pages unless the dimensions of the book have increased greatly (as well as the cost of the whole package). I'm thinking the 196 pg. thing is an addendum and you get both in the new boxed version. This ought to be available PDF or easily made so. If anyone knows who to contact on this issue, please do so, don't think they necessarily pay attention to these forums. [&:]

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Idea of new manual, even in PDF format is basically dead, IMHO.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

It'd have to be volunteer project..and life would be too short. This is one reason why there is this very active forum...ask and you will be answered. [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

It should not be that way... [;)]

I have done it with WitE... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Well...it'd be a massive project for AE. I shudder how complicated it'd get..not to mention getting 2 people to agree about how game calculates things. [:D]
AE is step up in complexity even when compared to WitE.

Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Well...it'd be a massive project for AE. I shudder how complicated it'd get..not to mention getting 2 people to agree about how game calculates things. [:D]
AE is step up in complexity even when compared to WitE.

It is big undertaking but it can be done... [:)]

The essential thing is to have the original WinWord document and all pictures from release manual. With that you create workable version in which you add appropriate rule to appropriate section in manual...

BTW, there should not be any problem with agreement / disagreement - new rules from addendum are just placed into appropriate manual sections!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
Sighted typo fixed...

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I'm still looking for the player who knows 100% how this game works...When I find him (her) we should take up a collection and ask him (her) to do it....[&:]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I have said that I will get an updated manual done sometime after (a) I stop making updates, and (b) have a break in my real work commitments which seem to have suddenly increased.

Well (a) seems to be underway as patch finally done.[:D]
Michael
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I have said that I will get an updated manual done sometime after (a) I stop making updates, and (b) have a break in my real work commitments which seem to have suddenly increased.

Well (a) seems to be underway as patch finally done.[:D]
Michael,
Can you tell us whether:-
[1] This means you'll no longer be making updates?
[2] Are taking a break from making new updates ?
[3] Are going to working in the background on new updates?
[4] Are undecided or been instructed to take a break ?

I'm sure most of us are curious about this ...
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

All 4[:D]
Michael
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Thanks for clearing that up! [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: GeorgePatton

Kudos to the dev team on the latest update in 2012 to AE but will a new updated manual will be available in PDF form? ...

Assuming that the last public beta is the same patch as the official v1.01.08r9, I haven't seen anything in my pdf manual to describe the new features; although many of them are self-explanatory, some need a brief explanation.

Would the biggest issue with updating the manual be changing the pages of the appendix to accomodate the added text?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

All we need is an addendum... explaining the new symbols especially from recent patch and frankly those who worked on patch must have the documented changes and what this added symbol means and just would need gather up those patch doc's and issue us an addendum sheet of what all the abbrevs on screen mean.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I'm still looking for the player who knows 100% how this game works...When I find him (her) we should take up a collection and ask him (her) to do it....[&:]

I think JWE probably qualifies. But if he wrote a new manual the Woof Ratio would be so high it'd be 1000 pages . . .

(Joke! Joke!)
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I am not a technical writer, but I am a writer and an editor.  As such, I would tremble, throw up and pass out at the very thought of the amount of time it would take to comprehensively and accurattely update the manual.  The amount of time required and the headaches would be awesome.  The only way somebody would do that is if they were (a) insane or (b) had a monetary incentive - IE, knowing that a four-year-old game would generate sufficient revenue to cover the immense amount of effort required.

While there is no indication that something new in the way of WitP: AE II is even in the contemplation stage right now, I think that project would be more likely at this late date.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I am not a technical writer, but I am a writer and an editor.  As such, I would tremble, throw up and pass out at the very thought of the amount of time it would take to comprehensively and accurattely update the manual.  The amount of time required and the headaches would be awesome.  The only way somebody would do that is if they were (a) insane or (b) had a monetary incentive - IE, knowing that a four-year-old game would generate sufficient revenue to cover the immense amount of effort required.

While there is no indication that something new in the way of WitP: AE II is even in the contemplation stage right now, I think that project would be more likely at this late date.

I would add my vote to not needing a new manual, but a 1-page summary of all the new and old ASCII symbols used in the report screens, as well as the meaning of various colored texts, would set me up.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”