Is it possible to mod the UI?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Deggial

Is it possible to mod the UI?

Post by Deggial »

Oh well, I'm in "modding fever", obviously...
I managed to create my own flags and I'm looking to go further now.

And I wondered, whether or not it would be possible to alter buttons (the icons they show) in the game's main-screen UI.

Of course I did find all the (seemingly) UI related pictures in the "chrome" directory. But changing them did't do much to the UI so far. (Till now, I tried the "spy" symbol and got a result in the diplomacy screen only. Changing the "robot" had no effect at all.)

Are these icons hardcoded or did I miss the related folder so far? The "base icons" seem to be taken out of the shipsets, obviously, so altering them will be impossible. But what's about the rest?

I'm prepeared to read an "impossible" as an answer, but had to ask nevertheless.

Cheers,
Deggial
Ogaburan

RE: Is it possible to mod the UI?

Post by Ogaburan »

Can you share the flags?
Deggial

Post by Deggial »

Sure I can! [:)]

I wanted to start a separate thread for this a little bit later. There are still some flags missing and I want to change their order, as I did find out that all races have their own flag and they are *not* choosen randomly.

I don't want to hijackmy own thread, but as it is happend already:
Does anyone has a list, which flag number is related to which race? I will find it out myself for sure, but if some work is already donne, why do it twice?

The other problem is that I dont't have any webspace to make the stuff downloadable and I don't know a platform to do so.
Is it possible to send a ZIP-file to a forum moderator to make the stuff available here?

If you are willing to wait a little bit (I'm not at home at the moment), I'll post a overview of my flags (just a picture, not the usable flags). If you like them and don't care about order or completeness, send me a pn with your E-mail and I will send you a ZIP of the current state.

Cheers,
Deggial
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

The race flag is adjusted in the race text file together with the native colors. You can give them anyone.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Deggial

Post by Deggial »

Thanks, that's a very helpful information. I'll see how I can change my existing (and future) flags according to the current attribution.

Return to “Design and Modding”