fighting for survival

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

bigbaba

fighting for survival

Post by bigbaba »

hi folks,

legends is realy a great game. why?

following situation:

i had my own tiny little prospering empire in a corner of the galaxy. got few colonies (one indipandant one with 400 mio. population), few good mining and research stations and was happy that i got some time to develop my empire and get stronger.

there were only 3 star systems unexplored in my corner and guess where were sitting in this systems:

-the legendary pirates (one base, 4 defensive bases and a huge fleet with capital ships)
-the notorious silvermist!

so from one second to the other there was no growing empire anymore but fighting for the survival of my planets.

few hours later i lost 3 colonies to the silvermist and almost all my bases to the pirates but was able to destroy the home base of the pirates with the "last battalions"". now i am crossing my fingers and wishing that my crash program for ion cannon and building a fleet to kill the more and more powerfull silvermist is finished before it attacks my homeworld.

the point is:

in all space strategy games i played so far i had never such a similar situation where a chilling game can turn into a struggle about life and death so fast.

well done guys!
Modest

RE: fighting for survival

Post by Modest »

Question... How fast is Silver Mist when it jumps from one system to another? :)

As for Your situation, I must admit that I love to expirience such demanding situations :) So, I wish You great challenge and lots of satisfaction with every one victory :) And of course I wish You to overcome this! :)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Some of the my fondest memories of Master of Orion 1 are from games where I was taking beating after beating. Every little victory felt like a major accomplishment, and simply surviving the ordeal was a fantastic feeling. Much more fun than the "turtle and steam roll" games. [:)]
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

I hope to experience this as well in DW...

I loved to start HoI2:Armageddon in the 1944 scenario as the germans. That was lots of fun. As you said, every "minor" victory felt like a major achievement.
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

It is fun being on the losing end in this game and struggling to survive.. Think I'm going to put myself into the worse spot I can.. play as humans, against a galaxy full of insects and spiders with lots of space monsters and pirates that hate me. On as aggressive of a setting as I can.
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

i played MAO2 too but it didnt feel the same. the Ai was cheating to hide the poor AI routines.

about the silvermist:

i realy dont know where exactly it came from. i have a cluster of monitoring stations but the silvermist can not be detected while traveling between systems.

damnd i like the guy from the forum here who designed the beast.:)

@Fideach:

great idea. maybe i do the same to get even a bigger challange.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

about the silvermist:

i realy dont know where exactly it came from. i have a cluster of monitoring stations but the silvermist can not be detected while traveling between systems.

damnd i like the guy from the forum here who designed the beast.:)

Personally....I CAN'T STAND WIZZ! Damn Silvermist dissolved my Korrabia Spice colony....made
my Galactic Credit Standing suck......Damn him...... [:@] LOL!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

*trollface*
Data

Post by Data »

weapons at the ready....he's still among us [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

WILD SILVERMIST APPEARS! "U MAD?" [:D]

Ran into it in my busted 1.7.0.1 Zenox game. Damn that thing's terrifying and fast. After I pulled my explorer out of there that thing just vanished! Deadly and elusive.
Gotta keep the ion cannons ready in my current game.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

ORIGINAL: WiZz

*trollface*

hah, finaly i got your creation.

was very sweeeeet to surround the 2 silvermists with my ion weapons carrying cruisers and shoot the hell out of them.:)

try something better for the next expansion, wizz.[:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”