OUT OF SYNC - I thought we're past this?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Durbik

OUT OF SYNC - I thought we're past this?

Post by Durbik »

Hi.

In my new game with Bahnstieg I've noticed that the reports he sends me don't fit those generated by me. A classic desynchro. But I thought this bug is a long goner with all those "fixed settings" and such.

1. Is there a way to repair it? In vanilla there was a procedure to fix a sync bug, but does this work in ae?

2. Should we restart? I really don't want to.

Here are the reports: japanese and allied from the same day.
Attachments
combatreport_ald.txt
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
obey the fist!
Durbik

RE: OUT OF SYNC - I thought we're past this?

Post by Durbik »

other one
Attachments
combatreport_jap.txt
(38.57 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
obey the fist!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

The only instances of the Sync Bug I've heard of in AE are from players using different patch levels. 
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Not familiar with the "fixes" they've put in AE, but the first thing to do is for BOTH players to reboot their machines, then run the results again before doing anything else with their computers (such as loading a big program, etc.)

95% of the time, it fixes the problem and the games will be re-synced... or at least in the older version this was the case.

BUT - be sure you are both running the same version (and have the same mapfiles).
WLockard

Post by WLockard »

I don't think the two combat reports are the same. The Japanese player should not be sending his to the Allied player.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

The combat reports should be the same. The other files are not. I tested this in a main forum thread where I asked about what files were generic and which weren't.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

The combat reports should be the same. The other files are not. I tested this in a main forum thread where I asked about what files were generic and which weren't.

Mynok is right. The combat reports should be the same (unless you have a sync bug).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
Durbik

Post by Durbik »

thank you for your responses.

We'll check the patch thing - my opponent is using beta,I'm using the newer one (only 99% sure about this).

I thought they were the same? I'm probably very wrong.
obey the fist!
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Durbik
I thought this bug is a long goner

We would never say "this bug is a long goner" or anything equivalent. The synch issue is caused by a design flaw that could not be corrected without a new replay system - which we deemed out of scope for AE.

The replay design is great in theory - but as many of us know from years of experience it is too fragile and with 20-20 hindsight does need a rewrite.

This being said we have made major efforts to reduce the frequency of occurence - and based on everything I've seen and heard this has been successful.

There were actually many different and independent causes of this symptom - so to think of this as "one bug" is not valid. Similar to the old "leader bug" or the old "disappearing unit bug" - this is another very rich "bug group" which can probably never be completely squashed.

I can say that in my experience with both WITP and AE - the only time these symptoms persist is when the players are running different versions of the software.

If all else fails - I would suggest that both reintall the game from scratch and reapply patches. Use a common document to define the steps to make sure to follow the same steps in the same sequence and then load up your save file and start playing again. You might have 1-2 turns still of issues but then things should settle down.

Keep reporting here as to your progress and we will watch.
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Durbik

Post by Durbik »

Thank you very much, right after we'll manage to reinstall and apply exactly the same patches, some "after anti-bug action report" will be written here :)
obey the fist!
Durbik

Post by Durbik »

We have identified the source of the problem, but not it's origin.

It seems that my opponent's Vista is causing desync. Every time he does his turn on laptop cursed with Vista, 001 file is different for him and for me. Everything is fine with every turn he's processing on home pc with Win7 installed.

I'm using XP Sp2 if that clears something up.

Maybe it's 32 to 64 bit issue? Or something else? Don't know - we're ok with a do-not-use-vista-for-ae solution for now.
obey the fist!

Return to “Tech Support”