Attn Arjuna...worries on forum

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

wodin

Attn Arjuna...worries on forum

Post by wodin »

OK..here goes...there seems to be abit of disapointment on the forum....especially from your new customers who didn't buy CotA so aren't used to the way you go about business....they feel that there is a lack of communication between Panther games and the community about the future of BftB and what is being worked on apart from the HTTR scenarios...which is a good thing but us HttR owners have already played the scenarios using this game engine so it's not totally new...

I feel a more constant presence on the forum would help...you really don't want to alienate those who have paid out for the game...that wouldn't be good at all....

Another worry I expect is because of the initial price thing and many apparently not buying, those who have may feel that a lack of sales has finished Panther Games off (that would be a terrible thing indeed) which is why it is very quite here...also they maybe worried that the forum is quite because not many bought the game...

I have faith in Panther Games and believe things are moving along...but maybe if you say what your plan is for the future and where we are heading would be good and spark some interest again.

P.S one last thing...alot of people contributed to the new features and new data forums....nothing has come back from Panther games with regards to these two forums....any chance you could inform us what you took from these and decided to work on....as I remember someone saying was anything going to come from these ideas or is it all hot air and I said yes something will come out of it...so far though it seems I haven't been proved right...

Another worry is that over at Wargamer at the end of September you said the price may INCREASE after Xmas due to the financial market....if that happens you have killed the game off completely....honest no one will pay more again...if you get paid in dollars your best leaving Matrix and selling yourself as you just can't increase the price...you will have finished off the game and your company...serious...
Arjuna

RE: Attn Arjuna...worries on forum

Post by Arjuna »

wodin,

I apologise for not being as active on the forums as I have been in the past. This has been due to a number of factors. I started a Defence contract three days before BFTB was released and I have been working full time on Defence business, except for a much needed holiday in September. I am currently committed to a Defence project till the end of January. So I am working part time on the games business and this naturally means less time to spend on the forums.

Currently I am working on a list of issues for the HTTR expansion pack. Paul is working on an Estab List editor and Richard is almost finished the scenarios for the HTTR expansion pack.

As to pricing, there are a number of factors at play. First is the exchange rates which are all going south for us at the moment. The Aussi dollar hit parity with the greenback last week ( much as I predicted earlier this year, only a little ahead of schedule ) and this means we get less from each sale. So this puts upwards pressure on the price. On the other hand, me working full time for Defence means the games income is no longer critical to my family's survival. So that takes some of the pressure away. See everything has a silver lining! [:)] As for your suggestion about selling our product directly, well that would place even more workload on my shoulders and that's not something I want. There is a reason why distributors and publishers exist. They do provide a service and they need to get paid for that too.

Now I don't want anyone reading too much into what I have just said about pricing. We reserve the right to raise or lower the price as and when we see fit. I do not want to see another price debate.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

....and I have been working full time on Defence business, ......

Many of us make our best posts from the office [:D]

-

wodin

Post by wodin »

thanks mate.....I'm sure this post and you other post will help alot with the overall happiness of the BftB community...

Hope you keep up the historical....
vj531

Post by vj531 »

Thanks for taking the time to let us know the current situation regarding the games manufacturing side of Panther.

Can I ask when we can expect to see the next patch for BftB?

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

You must be a comedian sharper. just kidding. [:)] As Arjuna said, he is working a full time job, trying to get HTTR out the door and Paul is working the Estab editor. I doubt we'll see a patch any time soon for BFTB. I didn't know Arjuna was tied up in his contract work or I might have gone a little easier on him after the initial release. Any how, the game is stable now and who knows, maybe the work Arjuna is doing for the defense contract will eventually make it back into the game in some form.

Thanks for the update Arjuna and good luck on your Contract.
I'll be back
vj531

Post by vj531 »

I had waited for BftB for over 8 or so years or when ever HTTR came out, CotA did not interest me unfortunately. So I have had lots of time to hone my comedic skills.

Although I of course know that the new contract is vital to Dave & Co. But I personally still have a product that needs further work and though I'm truly pleased for them. I find very hard having purchased and defended this game in the past few months to now be basically ignored.

There are numerous fixes needed and all I ask is when I can expect the patch! But silly me! I'm just a customer.
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I'm working on the HTTR expansion pack scenarios and data content. While playtesting the HTTR scenarios I discovered a few minor issues that I need Arjuna to look at, in addition to the bugs reported since the last patch. We are on it.[:)]
simovitch

Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

Just out of curiosity, is there a list somewhere of which bugs are being worked on (ie. which bugs have been reported since the last pach)?

Also, I was wondering if there are any plans to add to the unit histories and commander bios? As it is, only the top commanders and formations seem to have them. It's not really essential, but I only have a limited knowledge of WWII, so I find this kind of thing interesting. :)
vj531

Post by vj531 »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I'm working on the HTTR expansion pack scenarios and data content. While playtesting the HTTR scenarios I discovered a few minor issues that I need Arjuna to look at, in addition to the bugs reported since the last patch. We are on it.[:)]

Thanks for that
I'm just fed up with the lack of communication regarding fixes for BftB and then having the piss taken out of me for daring to ask.

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
decaro

Post by decaro »

I'm working on the HTTR expansion pack scenarios and data content ...

After paying top $ for this game, I fear that if we are charged for this, it will not only discourage prospective buyers, but alienate current BftB owners.

Hopefully my fears won't come to fruition.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I'm working on the HTTR expansion pack scenarios and data content ...

After paying top $ for this game, I fear that if we are charged for this, it will not only discourage prospective buyers, but alienate current BftB owners.

Hopefully my fears won't come to fruition.

Joe D. I agree. I have HttR but have not played it in years, the game system turned me off. I was reluctant about BftB too, but I am a sucker for Bulge games. The system lacks flexiblity for human vs. human play, the AI for HttR was dumb. It's like a pre-e-mail game or when attachments to e-mails had to be really small. They should have gone to a wego sytem like V4V and Combat Mission. But to pay for an HttR expansion pack ... I am afraid you can count me out.
Capt. Cliff
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff
... The system lacks flexiblity for human vs. human play, the AI for HttR was dumb ... But to pay for an HttR expansion pack ... I am afraid you can count me out.

HttR was one of my long-time favorite games, and with an upgraded supply syst. and a superior AI, it could become even better than BftB!

However, I would be reluctant to pay for an HttR upgrade after purchasing hard copies of both it and BtfB.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

I was unhappy with the price of BftB and voiced that unhappiness early in the forums, still think it was a mistake...*but*... I would not be offended to be asked to spend a small amount for HttR expansion (20.00 U.S. or lower).   Now, if I were a registered owner of HttR (I am not) my feelings might be different...but if asked to spend 10.00 bucks I would not be too offended.

A lot of hours seem to have gone into converting over the HttR scenarios and Panther should be compensated.  I would feel different if there was some sort of implied or otherwise promise made that these scenarios would be part of the deal when buying BftB (I know it was brought up some time ago..but do not recall if it was users hoping or from someone at Panther).  

If  Panther tries to get full game prices from the expansion (30 bucks or more IMHO) or ties bug fixes/features into the expansion that are not offered to BftB owners...then I would be very upset.  I do not think Panther is planning on this...just a purely hypothetical point.
Kind Regards,

Harry
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

I was unhappy with the price of BftB and voiced that unhappiness early in the forums, still think it was a mistake...*but*... I would not be offended to be asked to spend a small amount for HttR expansion (20.00 U.S. or lower).   Now, if I were a registered owner of HttR (I am not) my feelings might be different...but if asked to spend 10.00 bucks I would not be too offended.

A lot of hours seem to have gone into converting over the HttR scenarios and Panther should be compensated.  I would feel different if there was some sort of implied or otherwise promise made that these scenarios would be part of the deal when buying BftB (I know it was brought up some time ago..but do not recall if it was users hoping or from someone at Panther).  

If  Panther tries to get full game prices from the expansion (30 bucks or more IMHO) or ties bug fixes/features into the expansion that are not offered to BftB owners...then I would be very upset.  I do not think Panther is planning on this...just a purely hypothetical point.

I agree with this. I wouldn't mind paying for the HttR scenarios, as long as it's not too much, but like you, I don't own the original.

I'm pretty sure that Panther hasn't promised that these scenarios would be free, in fact I've had the understanding, since I first heard of them, that a fee would be charged. That could be just me, though.
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

I wouldn't want to see Simovitch putting this time and hard work in for just a pat on the back. Regardless, I'm sure that my desire to play these scenarios in the present system will get the better of me and all resistance will crumble. [:)]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Capt Cliff....seems like you regret your bftB purchase......I find the AI OK.....as with most games it depends on how good the scenario maker was....
vj531

Post by vj531 »

I'm looking forward to revisiting HttR which I bought at retail in UK yonks ago. As long as the price is not prohibitive (<$30 US)I will be there with my credit card on day one.

It will be a nice Easter present from my better half.

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

Return to “Command Ops Series”