They won't budge.

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

ezzler

They won't budge.

Post by ezzler »

Becoming very tedious just clicking end turn.
No activations.Then activations but an inability to move. I don't expect much from little Mac but you'd have thought Grant might make an effort.

turn after turn no one can move except cavalry.
I tried combined arms, inf only, then just 1 inf each leader, then all leaders having the maximum number of units. Makes no difference. Built depots to such an extent that supplies ran out .
Obviously doing something wrong but what? No one will advance over a mountain, across a river or into a forest.
Joel Billings

RE: They won't budge.

Post by Joel Billings »

Do you have Army Commanders in areas with depots (with cavalry protecting the depots from raids and multiple depots when you expect heavy raiding)? Do you have Theatre Commanders in Washington and in a good location in the west that is within reach of your AC's? What kind of activation percentages are you seeing for your Army Commanders? Is it winter?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Have depots most places. in the East the entire army is in Washington. 2nd army is in Ketucky and won't move into Tennessee. 3rd army is in Illinois and wont attck into Kentucky across the river. Might be a transport fleet problem, but any ships are sunk by the forts so I stopped sending them. MI is all Union but only cavalry will move any further.
Playing on easy with auto production. There are few Confederate raids.
Activation % vary from 40-60, and most commands activate, but the units wont attack, or maybe only half will, so attacking is pointless.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The AC must activate for all the leaders and units in the area to activate. Do you have Army commanders in each of your key areas (Washington, Cairo, one in Kentucky and maybe a fourth on the Atlantic Coast to do an invasion - Fort Monroe is usually good for this)? Do these AC's have 40-60% activation chances? You don't say anything about army commanders or theater commanders, and you say that not everyone in the area is activating, which makes me think that you just have individual corps leaders activating (which is not enough as you said). The key is getting an AC to activate everyone in his area. You don't need transports to cross a river if there is a ferry point (rail crossing).
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Well in Washington is army and theatre leader and 10 other leaders and 100+ units. Even when all are active only some units will advance. The tool tip is useless as it just says units cant advance and not why. Spreading units out just means they don't activate. If its a supply problem i've no idea how to check.
Have managed to get only two attacks in in the whole of 1862. At this rate the war will be over by Christmas.

Christmas 1970
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You may have your units attached to lousy leaders. What kind of movement points do the units have? In winter, IIRC it takes 4 MP to cross the river from Washington to move into Virginia. That means you have to have a leader with an infantry value of 3 and an artillery value of 2 in order to have the required MPs. In non-winter turns it only takes 3 MPs, so that's much easier (a 2 infantry value). In winter, you have to accumulate good leaders in areas where you are going to be crossing a river. IIRC, there are leaders that are 3 infantry and 1 artillery, which means you need to assign only infantry to these leaders. If you have leaders with 4 MPs you should be able to move one area unless you are trying to cross a major river at a non ferry crossing point (no rail crossing). Are your depots being raided by enemy cav, reducing them below 20 supply points before your turn (they will be replenished at the start of your turn but after the leader check)? Getting your ACs to activate is the tough part, but once activated, you should be able to move assuming you have brought together your better leaders (if winter).

IIRC it costs 1 extra MP to move into an enemy area, 1 extra to move over a river, and 1 extra when moving in winter (maybe more if not down a rail/road), so you can see the costs add up. You can send me a save at 2by3@2by3games.com if you have one where you think you should be able to move but can't.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Do you have the Corp Commander option turned on? Where say Hooker has a bunch of subordinate commanders, his division commanders, attached an then attach infantry and artillery units to him as well? Subordinate commanders are free but a combat unit eats one of his command rating number points? I put my theater commanders in DC and Cairo, range is 6 areas I think to a AC for activation help, with my army commanders in DC, Louisville, Cairo and MI (Lyon's). In 62' I pull Lyon's out and sent him to Fort Monroe hoping to take the are next to Richmond or do amphib. I find I only need depots in area's with AC's and I destroy them once I move on. Recyle the supply. Perhaps you could send Joel one of your saved games. He could quickly see where the error of your ways are.
Capt. Cliff
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Thanks for your help. Still not much wiser. Have cc turned off. Army commanders are at about the same places as you have them.

I'll give it a restart and if that fails there's always ebay.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: ezz

Thanks for your help. Still not much wiser. Have cc turned off. Army commanders are at about the same places as you have them.

I'll give it a restart and if that fails there's always ebay.

This is a good game if you can figure out the I/O error your making. Are you attaching units to leaders so that they appear inside the leader box? That is the only way a combat unit can advance into enemy territory.

Can you put a screen shot on the forum showing like the DC area selected ... with all the units displayed?
Capt. Cliff
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

DC.turn 1 of 1861 scenario.

Active 1* generals
Tyler and Miles + Heintzleman
all leaders only posses inf units

Miles has att 2 def 1 inf 3 {command 0/4}
Tyler has  att 2 def 3 inf 2 {command 0/3}
Heintleman att att 2 def 3 inf 2 {command 2/7}

Tyler and Heitzleman can advance on Manassas, Miles can't.
I see its to do with the white number - movement points remaining. Miles has 1. But why does he have only 1 and Tyler with the lower inf rating have 2? Both have 2 att rating.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

It's the infantry leader rating that gets added to the MPs of the unit (assuming the leaders have initiative, a red arrow). Did you attach a unit to Miles this turn? As soon as you attach a unit to a leader, the leader loses the ability to add it's skill rating (in this case infantry rating) to the MPs of the unit. I can't say offhand why the others have 2 MPs, as I'd expect that they would either have 1 or 3 given they have an infantry rating of 2. IIRC, don't the units in Manassas have initiative automatically on turn 1? They should have more MPs than 2 if you don't change their attachments. If you save the game and email me the save to 2by3@2by3games.com I'll take a look.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I'll run it again. I think I did attach units. That might be the problem all along.
If you want to try it its just the opening turn of scenario 1861.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: ezz

I'll run it again. I think I did attach units. That might be the problem all along.
If you want to try it its just the opening turn of scenario 1861.

Yeah any time you attach a unit to a leader he takes a big MF loss, integrating that unit into the Corp I assume. I never attach units to an activated leader, learned the hard way. I may detach units, right click, to size the corp down for amphib operations. Always add units to a unactivated Leader.
Capt. Cliff
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Civ 5 taking up the time. Will come back to it later.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”