How to get my bonus on reaserch up?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

avdpos

How to get my bonus on reaserch up?

Post by avdpos »

OK, I´m trying to play a game with just human race and out-play the story in Isaac Asimovs "The Federation" books. My homeplanet does then need to be better researchers than the normal.
I have tried to edit in Kiadians at my homeplanet, thought that would give me the bonus I wanted without the possibility to colonise more planets but it didn´t. Also tried a few ruins but not all.
I wanted to put the 100% bonus on my homeplanet and then edit in one for each category later when I colonize more planets than my harsh home.

Thanks for help.
Avdpos

If the game works out fun I maybe restart for the fun of it and write an AAR for you guys.. We see
HsojVvad

RE: How to get my bonus on reaserch up?

Post by HsojVvad »

The only way I know of, is building more research bases. If you make a star port or what ever there is research in those buildings too. So only more buildings will do it I believe.
martok

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: avdpos

OK, I´m trying to play a game with just human race and out-play the story in Isaac Asimovs "The Federation" books. My homeplanet does then need to be better researchers than the normal.

Heh. If you're referring to ASimov's Foundation series, then you've definitely got your work cut out for you! Did you make all the factions human as well?
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Cosian

Post by Cosian »

It would seem since you are looking for an overall resource bonus for your 'sect' of humans you would just edit the races.txt file and put the edited version in your customizations folder.....might also want to create a slightly modified graphic for your Asmovian Humans and put that in there as well. The instructions for editing the race file are in the races.txt file itself along with instructions on the image file.

It says you cannot add or change the order of the races, but it does not say you cannot change all the data for a given race so presumably you could 'replace' one alien race with your new human sect whilst maintaining the normal humans as a race as well.

I have no experience with this and have not tried it, but that is the direction I would pursue rather than trying to 'update' each world I took over for a research bonus .....after making backups...:)
avdpos

Post by avdpos »

Heh. If you're referring to ASimov's Foundation series, then you've definitely got your work cut out for you! Did you make all the factions human as well?

Yes I do, My bad to say "the federation" when I just have reread the book "the Foundation"...

Yes, I made all factions human. I did restart a couple of times and had a look at games in the editor and found out mysterius things. In a game with just one race the game can´t spread out the nations by itself!

19 nations shared 2 homesystems when there placing was random. After having chosen "nearby", "Average" and "distant" thay all got in different systems.

My look in the editor showed me that independents only exist in the races that exist as nations. But it is still possible to find a colonyship that have arrived from another galaxy with a new race, got one myself that I fast took and retired, against my gamerules. Will delete any population of another race I find also..

Started the game as in a harsh-homesystem and starting empire, the others got a spann from next tiny (don´t remember the next worst homesystem) to excellent homesystem and random on how long they had developed...
my bonus is one step of better technology than the basic all the others get.

until now (10-20 years ingame) it seems to works in some way. I have already 6 colonies (thanks to my moneybag, the resortbase, close to my 4 billion and two other empires 20+20 billions of inhabitans. Problem is that all humans love each others... ANd I want them to be struggling and fighting... Think I have to start another game like this soon, write the AAR and but aggresive-level to the top...

I maybe have to do as Cosian say right up and over me, make 20 different races/nations of humans...
Cosian

Post by Cosian »

The humans will naturally love each other as they are members of the same race with the same predispositions. You would not have to change all the races methinks. I think you could just have one 'Other Less Enlightned Humans' race and when starting the game manually choose those same humans for however many other Empires you want in the game.

The only issue might be the independents ..... I do not know if the game chooses independents from all the races, or just those present in the game. If the game chooses independents from all races, you would have to do as you suggested and change all the Races .....

When setting up those races you could set them to be aggressive, unreliable, etc. etc...
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: Cosian

The humans will naturally love each other as they are members of the same race with the same predispositions. You would not have to change all the races methinks. I think you could just have one 'Other Less Enlightned Humans' race and when starting the game manually choose those same humans for however many other Empires you want in the game.

What you can also do is use the editor to change the race bias. All humaniods naturally like each other. So to change this, go into the editor upon starting a new game, select 'edit empires' then you will have to go through each empire and change the bias in relation to each of the other empires.

Pretty tiresome, I know, but it's the best way to set up your game.
avdpos

Post by avdpos »

ORIGINAL: Cosian

If had a search on all independents at start in 2-3 different games and they were all humans when I only had humans. Problem is the colonist-ships from another galaxy...
ORIGINAL: Igard

What you can also do is use the editor to change the race bias. All humaniods naturally like each other. So to change this, go into the editor upon starting a new game, select 'edit empires' then you will have to go through each empire and change the bias in relation to each of the other empires.

Pretty tiresome, I know, but it's the best way to set up your game.

A good idea to change that at start, then I also can change them later in the game when I think it fit´s the story better, if needed or if it´s to few wars.

I´m have also since last post started to edit all races, not very hard to do indeed, uses most original settings for the races but lower intelligence for nearly all (but my scientience nation). I do also lower all races loyality so they don´t stick to there agreements to long. I think that will lock up the game a little more so alliances doesn´t stay in game until later.

The problems I have now seems to be finding pictures for 20 nations of humans.. Finding names for the 20 nations, have about 5 for the moment. And last, set homesystem. I think all homesystems will have a populaiton of the race that has it´s origin there and that way "sol" would get really much populaiton. And that´s really much out of the story, earth is radioactive and with nearly no inhabitans (ot none at all). Maybe many should gain "Trantor", the former Empire´s capitalplanet as home, 100 years from start of my game that planet had 35-40 billion inabitans... Another solution would be if it was possible to get all nations to start in there homesystem but I guess that is impossible.. And in thta case I will edit the different empires name and planets when I meet them..

thanks for all help with ideas. I will report what happends again soon. Tips on pictures for my different humans and nation-names would I be happy to get.

Nations:
The (second) Foundation - homeplanet Terminus
Anacreon - On of the four kingdoms
Smyrna - On of the four kingdoms (think I got right name)
? - On of the four kingdoms
? - On of the four kingdoms
The Empire - homplanet Trantor

Vega?
Sirius?

Aurora? and Solaria? - maybe or maybe not... i think it´s maybe to long back in "history" according to Asimov

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”