No experience on OOB editing .. needs help (Ja jos o suamesta ni vielä parempi)

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

GI Seve

No experience on OOB editing .. needs help (Ja jos o suamesta ni vielä parempi)

Post by GI Seve »

OK I would be very thankful if some great guru would tell me the secrets of OOB editing ... I need to add few tank formations to OOB (34/85 to finns (atleast on -44), Maus Image for germans at late -45 and that odd US super tank I've heard (95 - something? ) to be added to US tank formations in early -46 ... )
So in simple words how do I do this?
Step by step help would be nice.
Thank you in advance Image

------------------
I wish I knew how to play this game good allready now.Quite a mess on my battles ;P
HallelujaaGobble!
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hello, first thing you need to do is make two new folders in SPWAW, one labelled 'stock oob's', and one 'custom oob's. Copy all the oob files and paste them into the stock folder, and also into the custom folder, now you have your back-ups, and the custom folder to tinker with. Which ever ones you are using from now on, you will copy/paste from either of these, depending on which you prefer!
1)Open Spwawedit,located in the main directory, open the desired oob file in the custom folder by changing directory, or just make a copy in the custom folder of SPWAWEDIT.
2)To make a plt, the first building block, go to formations in the program, find an empty slot, and do the following; make the name of the plt,fill in the date of service to match that of the unit in question. If armor, you need to put armor in the menu slot in the top right, this is where it will be purchsed in the game.Make the unit size plt also top right, leave special flag alone, this is for companies. In the unit slots below, put in the desired amount of tanks, 1 in each slot, using the pull-down box, or enter the unit number directly, then put quantity of '1' in the end of each unit entered. This is your plt.
3)Basicly same for the company, dates, name of company type, fill in company, in top right, and menu to buy from, armor in this case. The flags are tricky, I won't go into it here as there are quite a few, these modify sometimes points in buying, or the way the company co will act, etc. First unit slot, and sometimes two first slots are single units, the company CO, and XO. Then below that are two to three of the plt's you just made, enter the FORMATION number in the first slot, of the plt formation here, and a 1 for quantity at the end of each, although really doesn't matter for companies. BEWARE that with the Finns, in particular, most if not all of the 28 formations per page in the game buy screen might already be filled up, good chance your new units will be off-page, unable to be purchased!! As far as the Maus, and the U.S. Heavy, same applies here as for the Finns, the U.S. will be ok probably, but the unit does not exist on your oob's yet, or does it!? If it is there, just make a section of two for this one to be realistic, same for the Maus, not plts, or companies, but that's your perogative;-) After all the editing you do is complete, save the file and exit the editor, then copy the oob file into the main SPWAW directory to use it, if you play PBEM, you will need to put the oob from the 'stock' folder back into the directory. Just a quick how-to, hope it helps!!

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
GI Seve

Post by GI Seve »

Thank you very much!!!
Now I have something to start with on this OOB editing.
HallelujaaGobble!
Don

Post by Don »

Hey Mike!

Great answer - I've wondered about that stuff myself, although so far I'm happy just using what the game gives me.

What I was wondering, since I haven't seen a detailed explanation like that before (I think), is if SOMEBODY (hint,hint) should write that up and post it. It could go right next to the "How to edit campaigns", which was great also. Image

What do you think?

Don
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

The manual has sections on the OOB editor and designing campaigns.

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Paul, am I blind... I can't find that section!!?? I'll write it up, just for shits and giggles!!

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
JTV

Post by JTV »

Originally posted by GI Seve:
OK I would be very thankful if some great guru would tell me the secrets of OOB editing ... I need to add few tank formations to OOB (34/85 to finns (atleast on -44), Maus Image for germans at late -45 and that odd US super tank I've heard (95 - something? ) to be added to US tank formations in early -46 ... )
So in simple words how do I do this?
Step by step help would be nice.
Thank you in advance Image

Minä voisin ehkä jelpata vähän asian kanssa, tosin kun nuo lopulliset oob-tiedostot ovat tulossa niin en ehkä sinuna panostaisi valtavasti vaivaa noihin korjailuihin.
Tuo T-34/85 lisääminen:
1. Joudut muuttamaan editorilla sen tarjolla olo ajan alkamaan June 1944
2. Minkä jälkeen voit tehdä formations-tasolle muodostelman jossa on vain yksi T-34/85 (onnistuu todennäköisesti helpoiten kopiomalla "T-34/85 Sec" johonkin tyhjälle kohdalle siellä, muuttamalla nimestä tuo "Sec" pois ja muuttamalla tarjollaoloaika alkamaan June 1944:stä).
Tuo US:lainen T26 on vaikeampi tapaus, siitä pitäisi tietää panssaroinnin vahvuudet, missä kulmassa panssaroinnit ovat, aseistus, aseistuksen ammustyypit ja niiden läpaisy-tehot panssaria vastaan, miehistön lkm jne ennenkuin sen voi tehdä. Jos on kysymyksiä niin voit mailailla ohessa olevaan mail-osoitteeseeni.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”