A few questions about colonization

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Nth Power

A few questions about colonization

Post by Nth Power »

Really liking the game apart from the CTDs.

I had a few questions about colonization. Sorry if these have been asked, but I didn't see anything:

Do all races start on a marshy swamp moon? Just for kicks I started about 6-7 new games with different races and each time the start was a Marshy Swamp Moon, but I can't colonize marshy swamp moons (for certain races) if they are nearby. I assume every race can colonize Continental planets?

If my race can colonize Ice or Volcanic planets to start, shouldn't I have the Habitation Module tech for that environment? I only have the Continental one in all cases.

Also, what are the dashed lines that connect to my colonized systems?
ASHBERY76

RE: A few questions about colonization

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I think it is a bug.Races should start on their native planet type.
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

How did you set your starting environment ? If you put it on trying or harsh, this should explain that, I guess.
Nth Power

Post by Nth Power »

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog

How did you set your starting environment ? If you put it on trying or harsh, this should explain that, I guess.
I started on normal. Bumping it down to "harsh" gives desert and "excellent" gives Continental. It's not a big deal...just seems a little weird to have a home planet, but you can't colonize the same type as your home.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

I agree. Like Ashberry76 says, it might be a bug. Let's see what the developers say.

The dashed lines are common routes that your civilian freighters use.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”