Some Basic Training Video Tutorials

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

n01487477

RE: Some Basic Training Video Tutorials

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

The one I viewed looked really good now.

I have had Vimeo suggested as an alternative free hosting site for the videos. Only downside is that an upload is not available for 30 minutes after it is completed.

Probably worth repeating the url for the videos as we are now onto page two of this thread.

Roger
Vimeo
Roger,
The only problem with Vimeo, is they don't allow gaming video's, this sort of falls into that category.

For now the main site is this:
http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477
MkXIV

Post by MkXIV »

Here is another basic training video I was always fond of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7 ... re=related
F4U Corsair; When you Absolutely, Positively need to kill every freaking Zero in a 40 mile hex....
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

So as this is a full request service, what do you want next ? ...
yeknod

Post by yeknod »

Excellent set of videos, thanks for sharing.

Couple of ideas for future videos; base expansion and info about support needed for aircraft, ships and LCUs? Ship repair? Recon and detection levels? Submarine ops, mine warfare and clearing, paratroops, land warefare best practices?

I'd like to see perhaps a few commentaries on turns, perhaps from the smaller scenarios, explaining how the strategy is executed in the game.. dunno how practical this could be?

Perhaps setting up some turns to show how things can go wrong with commentary and then a rerun of the same turn correcting the errors and inviting us follow along with some saved game files so that us Noobs can see, practice and experience how its done and see the results (both bad and good)?

Thanks again

Yeknod
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: yeknod

Excellent set of videos, thanks for sharing.

Couple of ideas for future videos; base expansion and info about support needed for aircraft, ships and LCUs? Ship repair? Recon and detection levels? Submarine ops, mine warfare and clearing, paratroops, land warefare best practices?

I'd like to see perhaps a few commentaries on turns, perhaps from the smaller scenarios, explaining how the strategy is executed in the game.. dunno how practical this could be?

Perhaps setting up some turns to show how things can go wrong with commentary and then a rerun of the same turn correcting the errors and inviting us follow along with some saved game files so that us Noobs can see, practice and experience how its done and see the results (both bad and good)?

Thanks again

Yeknod
Thanks Yeknod, I'll have a few more video's uploaded today, with some of what you suggest covered
stuman

Post by stuman »

great idea, hats off to you !
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Uploaded 3 more, one on paratroops, base screen and the last on mine warfare...

I also note that IE has problems loading and playing directly the swf files, Firefox seems to do a much better job. If you are using IE, go the download location for swf files and download them onto your computer before playing... (other browser users can do the same)

I am also in the process of breaking this web wage into different sites so I can use more storage space, most of the files are in the AE extra files link to the left of the screen, but some are now being migrated to other sites... those downloads are indicated by "download here"

Cheers and good gaming [;)]

Now to switch hats and change some code in Tracker
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

The new video tutorials (swf) are great. Sound and Video are very good now (at least on my system).
Tip for players with IE: download them and play them by rightclicking and selecting "open with Internet Explorer". Gives a clear picture and you can repeat as much as you want. Windows Media Player can be used as well, of course. Set to full screen.

I request this thread to be made sticky.

Damian, if at all possible I suggest to make the older tutorials (wmf) again in swf style. The older ones are a somewhat blurry and a bit hard to "read".

Overall I dare say one of the best things ever done for the WitP/AE community, and a MUST for all Newbies.

Last tip for Damian: you're a professional teacher, and it shows. However, because of the international community here I suggest you take even more into account than you are doing already a very plain and simple English (please, this is meant to be constructive).

Thank you very much for a great service to the community.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Damian, the Tutorial on LCU Transport is great. May I suggest you do a follow up with special emphasis on Docking Limits (and how to deal with them)?
Actually, it would be great to have a Tutorial on Ports and Docking Limits in general, because not only LCU Loading is affected but Fuel (Tankers, Oilers) and Supply (AKs) as well.

While typing this it comes to me still another tutorial would be great - how to develop a port or base to higher levels and what means to use (Engineer Units, PortSvc, certain Support ship types).
Included should be what happens if a port is to small to unload certain devices, like big guns or radar, and to know this before a TF is formed.

Keep it up, please [:)]
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
seille

Post by seille »

Yes, Damian, please redo the older videos as .swf.
Much better quality.

How about a Video where you explain the first steps as japanese player? What he should change from initial setup
playing non historical turn, early attack objectives. Simply things he has to do. Not sure it is possible, but maybe as a small collection
of several videos. For myself i´m a bit lost with japanese start in China....
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Thanks Rainer and Seille,

suggestions and criticism are welcome [;)] But thanks for the kind words ... This is my first attempt at video tutorials and I'm learning how to produce them as I go too ... and yes I should tone down the language to make it simple and direct. My bad![8D]

I'll go back and remaster the wmf files tomorrow to swf... I like the new idea's and will try to do those in the coming days. Although I think a small scenario to start with would be better to look at opening moves (Also because I'm still working on & testing mine for the GC)

The GC, would cover many MB, and to understand it all, I think I should cover the mechanics first and then flesh out what is required for the GC later ... this game is fairly involved after all.

There is plenty here to keep me busy (plus Tracker) & I'm still looking for anyone else to contribute. Any takers ? PM me.

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

No help ? damn you're all too busy playing & having fun !

... oh well I'll go on alone and finish what I started.

Changed over some more to swf files and added 1 more.

Cheers
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

I'd like to help but my spoken English is - err - entertaining (I'm German).

Did you rename some videos? I have now 26 files in my Tutorial Folder, but that doesn't look right.
Maybe the TF related videos were renamed?

OK, just checked:

Former TF.wmf is now TF_creation.swf
Former TF2.wmf is now TF movement speed.swf
Former TF3.wmf is now TF Patrol Zones.swf
Former TF4.wmf is now TF Way Points.swf

The total number of videos is now 22 (Jan26, 2010).

Did I say THANK YOU?
Did I say "Hey Newbies, download and/or watch those gems RIGHT NOW"?
Did I say "Make this thread sticky"?
Did I include the site for the videos? Yes I did, it's all here http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/ (Right click the title and say "save as". Some of the newer have a download button right away. You can also watch without downloading).
Did I say "Hey old timers, have a look at those videos, they are entertaining? Plus, please check for correctness and improvements"?
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Rainer,
no worries mate you've been a big help already.

I renamed some of them as I had to make new files & just for clarity when downloading. The old files are still in the AE extra files section until I change the format completely.

You're mostly correct:
Former TF.wmf is now TF_creation.swf
Former TF2.wmf is now TF_simpleRedirection.swf
TF movement speed.swf is new today ... cause I saw a forum post about 9/4 moving 10 hexes and thought I'd do it (still think I can make it better though)

Former TF3.wmf is now TF Patrol Zones.swf
Former TF4.wmf is now TF Way Points.swf
Did I say "Hey old timers, have a look at those videos, they are entertaining? Plus, please check for correctness and improvements"?
Yeah, I totally agree - I need someone to double check when I get to the more difficult topics, like today as I have been reading about reArm levels and testing ... I also want to add this to Tracker too...

I expect to put up one more today about Fast Transports, although I'm not sure there is a bug with the mechanism, when FT load from a friendly port the FT loads supplies and doesn't dart away no matter the settings ... I'm going to test in an enemy hex too

Cheers and have a good one
koontz

Post by koontz »

Thanks for youre g8 job really helpfull.

This thread should be sticky.

Would be nice with video of Dections Levels and Max reaction.
How u use it.
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Yeah I've got plans for more, including those suggested, just got to find a bit of time ... which I'll get mid-next week when I've got back to Oz for a holiday.[;)]
Texas D

Post by Texas D »

What about a tutorial on some of the finer points in the tracker? Most of it is simple to follow, but the industry part was quite confusing for a newbie.
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

Great job on this Damian. I wish there was something like this when I first started playing =)[:)]
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
seille

Post by seille »

Another video that would be helpful for me is the management of the naval yards.
accelerating ships, stopping them and the reason why to do it when.
Lord_Martin

Post by Lord_Martin »

The videos are really helpful.
Thank you for making them.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”