Da Babes Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JWE

RE: Da Babes Mod

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
All right, all you Da Babes level historians - I am looking for detailed data on two small ships that were (at least partially) converted to tankers:

George F Downey was a World War I Laker, converted to a tanker and used by the US Army to move fuel to and around the Alaskan sector.
Nootka was a Canadian built ship, also on the Great Lakes, converted to carry some fuel and used by the British Columbia Coastal Service to support West Coast ports.

I am looking for ship's fuel and endurance, cargo capacities (liquid and bulk) and any armament data. Can you help?
Nootka still indeterminate, but ...
George F. Downey - Standard USSB Design 1074, built Saginaw S.B.Co., started as Lake Gardeau - yard # 147, completed April, 1921 as Lake Miraflores, for Stanley Hiller, Inc., sold Santa Cruz Oil Co, 1931. Converted to bulk oil carrier - no change to registration data - 2702 gross register, 1672 net register.

Looks like an ordinary Lake type. 1700 metric bulk cargo, could probably work as a Union Coastal with 1800 metric liquid.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Woof! Nootka - built 1919, Pt.Arthur S.B.Co. for Canada Pacific RR Co., never converted to carry bulk liquid - remeasured in 1943 after engine rebuild and still lists orlop platform deck, forward; had to have carried fuel in containers. Skoosh smaller than a Lake - 251' between perps, about 2070 gross register, 1200 net register, and about 1650 under deck.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Pretty much agree but at: http://members.shaw.ca/gcsimpson/cprfleet7.htm

In 1925 she was renamed "Emperor of Port McNicoll" and sailed the eastern seaboard, Montreal, Newfoundland, Sidney. In 1926 she was bought by the Canadian Pacific, and brought a load of steel loaded at Sidney Nova Scotia and sailed via the Panama Canal toVancouver. Here she was converted from Coal to Oil fired boilers, and fitted with 171000 Gal. cargo tanks to serve the Pilchard industry. Nov. 12, 1950 was sold to Erique Echecopar, Lima Peru, again renamed "Iqitos". In 1957 she was taken over by Comerico Amazonas, Lima Peru, and got her old name "Nootka" back. She was broken up in Peru in 1960.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

All right, all you Da Babes level historians - I am looking for detailed data on two small ships that were (at least partially) converted to tankers:

George F Downey was a World War I Laker, converted to a tanker and used by the US Army to move fuel to and around the Alaskan sector.
Nootka was a Canadian built ship, also on the Great Lakes, converted to carry some fuel and used by the British Columbia Coastal Service to support West Coast ports.

I am looking for ship's fuel and endurance, cargo capacities (liquid and bulk) and any armament data. Can you help?

Don, if you still are looking for coastal tanker types for Canada, you might take a second look at the "Albertolite" who seem to be operating for Canada's west coast much of the war.

http://merchantships2.tripod.com/ian/ia ... page1.html

I also saw a reference or two to another concrete bottom ship call the "Island Carrier" that acted as a coastal tanker.

Buck
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Don, if you still are looking for coastal tanker types for Canada, you might take a second look at the "Albertolite" who seem to be operating for Canada's west coast much of the war.

I also saw a reference or two to another concrete bottom ship call the "Island Carrier" that acted as a coastal tanker.

Buck

Albertolite is on the possible list for later. Oh, and John is the man for Babes, not Don.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Incidentally, I too am going to take the final "babes" and make my own mod with still more detail. Only mad dogs and fools like me would ever want to play it.

And me Don, if you choose to share your version. If you are reading Keregurelen, I would be interested in what you found.

JWE, I surely understand your OOB reasoning. What I did not see is you realigning the West Coast ships you have included in accordance with this site: http://www.militarymuseum.org/MilitaruUnits7Dec.html. Relocation and assigning damage for those under repair/overhaul seems appropriate but maybe not significant in the grander view.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Oh No!!!!!!! The Neosho is still shown as the class of AO's rightly belonging to my Cimarron, oh the shame of it all (actually, no biggy).
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

The British Columbia Express really should be represented in the game:

http://www.warsailors.com/singleships/b ... lexpr.html
JWE

Post by JWE »

JWE, I surely understand your OOB reasoning. What I did not see is you realigning the West Coast ships you have included in accordance with this site: http://www.militarymuseum.org/MilitaruUnits7Dec.html. Relocation and assigning damage for those under repair/overhaul seems appropriate but maybe not significant in the grander view.
Seeing the thundering lack of interest, looks like this is going nowhere and you are on your own.

Given your comments, you probably wouldn't like it anyway.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: JWE
Seeing the thundering lack of interest, looks like this is going nowhere and you are on your own.

Whoa, what's this all about. Did I do something or say something that offended you. If so I'm sorry.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Buck

Albertolite is on the possible list for later. Oh, and John is the man for Babes, not Don.

I was thinking for your own mod, I had pretty much figured that this ship had been excluded for all the aforementioned reasons.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Buck

Oh oh, I feel I have offended John by not directing my comments and replies to him. OK, no more Don.

Buck
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
Pretty much. Just a very few last minute tweaks on da Babes Lite.

RogueUSMC has graciously offered to host the mod. We do not want to have to do rev after rev after rev (and Rogue wouldn't appreciate it either), so we want it to be tight from the get-go.

Have a Beta-Preview available. A scenario set (with full instructions) and an Art drop-in set. Available only by sending a pm or email with a valid email return address. Will address individual beta-preview concerns, but only for a limited time, so look deep. Once we go 'live', the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune begin to take on a darker aspect.

Just a teensy weensy bit of patience. A few days.

Ciao. J&D

I am replying to this post of several days ago for clarification. John, what were you looking for in a review for beta-preview concerns in the statement bolded above. You sure got me confused now.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Whoa, what's this all about. Did I do something or say something that offended you. If so I'm sorry.
Oh, heavens no. Just that there is no interest in the Lite version, so we are proceeding with the Full version. It's not AI compatible and you have already said that's a bad thing for you. So this looks like a good time to get your own mod started.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I have a lot of interest in the lite mod, just didn't realize until today that you had started the beta.
scottott999

Post by scottott999 »

John,

I'm definitely interested as well and I was real excited when I heard of your recent announcement that the Lite version was nearing completion. I'm relatively a newbie player and unfortunately I don't have nearly the knowledge of some of you more seasoned posters of the forum but this mod certainly has peaked my interest. It has me searching the net looking for historical references to the "UKI" and other vessels previously posted continuing to rise my knowledge to hopefully a point that I too can contribute on a regular basis. Based upon what I read in the forum I'm confident that it will provide hours of fun and education for me and I'm sure others as well. I certainly appreciate all of the work you and the team put into the mod and regardless of the release, I'd buy you all a beer if you are ever in the NY area just for the effort.
Splinterhead

Post by Splinterhead »

I'm also interested in lite, but I'm rather buried by RL right now so it didn't seem right to ask for a beta copy I can't touch for the next several months.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Oh, heavens no. Just that there is no interest in the Lite version, so we are proceeding with the Full version. It's not AI compatible and you have already said that's a bad thing for you. So this looks like a good time to get your own mod started.

Well that's a relief. I have been known to piss off some here on the board but that has been for the most part intentional. I am truely enthralled with the Mod and of course am waiting for the full version even with the warning that it isn't AI compatable to see just how badly the game will react if I try to use it in an AI situation Allied versus Japanese AI. I also may be able to port over some of the BF changes to the lite if an AI game just freezes up.

Some of the recommendations or ships mentioned I have made for the mod Allied OOB fall short on the stiffy meter, but, some might find them worthy of being included. I for example think reallocating the 12/07/1942 west coast ships to the repair facilities in accordance to the Calif Historical document and applying an amount of damage just further limits the Allied assets for this early war period.

Anyway, glad we are still cool.

Buck

BTW, should you or Andy care to elaborate on effects of the full mod's effect on the AI game, you would sure have my ears. If it is only a one sided issue (OK to use only against Japan) I have been there before with WITP and I only play against the Japanese AI. Anyway tell me what you can.
drw61

Post by drw61 »

I have a lot of interest in the lite version.

JWE

Post by JWE »

It's coming. Don't think we screwed anything up. Haven't seen any hick-ups in testing.

Could probably tweak things on a daily basis, but need to stop somewhere. Threw in Albertolite, Downey, Nootka, British Columbia (Express was just too long), renamed the Cimarrons, all the last minute stuff. Added in about 30 at-sea, opening day TFs. Think it's done.

Will go to Rogue USMC in the next couple days. Then back to working on the Full version.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”