Review @ Out of Eight

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

JaguarUSF

Review @ Out of Eight

Post by JaguarUSF »

A review of Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich has been posted at Out of Eight PC Game Reviews:
http://www.outofeight.info/2009/10/gary ... mbing.html
Enjoy!
Hard Sarge

RE: Review @ Out of Eight

Post by Hard Sarge »

Thank you

makes me wonder if he even looked at the game

seeing how he doesn't know how the waypoint system works (last time I looked, there were more then 4 waypoints,

"the four component flight path (inbound, initial point, exit point, and outbound)"

Plus I think he has a thing against Gary

oh well, we did better then 50% !!!!

maybe if we were EA we could of done a game more to his liking

Kharkov

Post by Kharkov »

I actually think the review is spot on.

jomni

Post by jomni »

Out of Eight is a decent review site.
In fact he's the one I usually go to read about less mainstream strategy games like the Matrix titles.
Knowing the reviewer, he does not like overly complex games (don't think he even dared reviewing WitP) so I'm surprised he even reviewed this game in the first place. He does not have a thing vs. Gary but he has a thing vs. overly complex games that is hard to get into by the common individual.

5/8 does not mean you get a 62.5% score.

He just says that you should buy it only if really like the genre.  Which is true.

A lot of his 8/8 games are from small shops.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

so, he is a person who reviews games that he don't like, and then bases his views on them, based on his likes and dislikes

very good

I remember one review about a D-Day game, and the guys biggest complaint was, why do all games about D-Day, have to take place in France, why can't it be Holland or Norway, or Greece, why does D-Day always have to be in France

and that was the reason, he gave it a poor review

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Sarge,

Don't take reviews personally, it's never productive. We all know how much you love the game and how much time you've spent on it, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea no matter what you do. It's better to respond factually to anything you think was incorrect and take the rest to heart as areas where improvement might be made.

I'll note separately that an interface overhaul was never promised, although some interface improvements were made. This release was aimed at folks who loved the original and wanted an improved release of it to play for years to come, and on that score it delivers.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I already did, he talks about things that are in the old game, not what is in the new game

if he reviewed the new game, he would notice that the game system does not work the same way

harley

Post by harley »

I don't see anything in the review I take offence to. I think he's weighted the lack of interface updates too high against the gameplay changes we made (which he hasn't really touched on at all), but other than that, It seems reasonable. We put gameplay over beauty. One thing about the interface is that I can't see how increasing the map area threefold can be anything but a good thing - that was a huge accomplishment and i give myself a pat on the back and a rowdy chorus of cheers for that.
gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: harley
One thing about the interface is that I can't see how increasing the map area threefold can be anything but a good thing - that was a huge accomplishment and i give myself a pat on the back and a rowdy chorus of cheers for that.

You deserve much more than a pat on the back and a cheer! [&o]
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

This is actually a review of the game as a whole, rather than the improvements made in the Matrix release.
I attempted to convey this in the introduction: "this is my first crack at the titles." The lowered score is due to a heavy penalty for the interface, which I found to be cumbersome.
I didn't comment on the gameplay changes because frankly I did not know what they were because I didn't play the original game. I was reviewing the game from the perspective of a first time player to the series, since that's what I am.
ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge
(last time I looked, there were more then 4 waypoints

Yeah, there are three in the inbound and three in the outbound, but there are four components...I tried to simplify it somewhat for readers.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
This release was aimed at folks who loved the original and wanted an improved release of it to play for years to come, and on that score it delivers.

True.
ORIGINAL: jomni
Knowing the reviewer, he does not like overly complex games (don't think he even dared reviewing WitP)

I actually got the Admiral's Edition to review and cried after I tried playing it. :)
Steamfish

Post by Steamfish »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'll note separately that an interface overhaul was never promised, although some interface improvements were made. This release was aimed at folks who loved the original and wanted an improved release of it to play for years to come, and on that score it delivers.

I agree 100% with this Erik. A different interface would have been nice, but that wasn't the intent of the update. For those of us who live and breathe the European strategic bombing campaign of WWII, this is the definitive game of that genre and will remain so for the a very long time to come. I'll willingly take the subtle adjustments to the interface with the big improvements to the underlying data & mechanics. That, along with compatibility for newer versions of Windows, ensures that this game will have a place on my HD for many years. Which is about how long it will take me to complete a full 43 campaign at my pace! ;-)
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Deleted
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

I think the review was more on the mark than off. Regarless of the intent of the update, it is fair to say the weakest link in the game is the dated interface. As a long time war gamer I blew right through the interface challenges and revelled in the strategic banquet this game brings to the table. But, it is still fair for the reviews to pick on the interface since it wasn't the target of the update, it is left showing it's age. As for me, I'm having a great time playing the long campaign in BTR and whinning like a stuck pig every time the AI kicks my butt. Heaven.
petgod

Post by petgod »

[:D]At the end of the day you aint gonna please everyone. My attitude is if you like the old version you will love this one!

And I do, so well done HS, Harley and averyone else involved! Now if we can just tie BTR into WITP and create a total WW2 whole world flight strat game then WooHoo! And lets see him review that bad boy [:D]
After 22 years soldiering it is nice to be an arm chair warrior.
WBEDIGNER

Post by WBEDIGNER »

Not having played the game before, I was waiting on a review before I invested the time and money. I am more inclined to purchase the game after the review.  I can live with a clunky interface if it will lead me to some chess-like challenge.  I do appreciate everybody who has worked on the game, as well as purchased the product to at least keep the title alive.  I look forward to playing the game. 
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I did not purchase the remastered BoB/BtR, but comparing screenshots here with the original games, which both are still installed on my WinXP machine, it looks as if HS has sligthly improved the old interface.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I actually think the review was a fair first perspective of the game. Like he said, he was unaware of the issues.

However, I do think the weight given to the interface was over the top. Yep - it's cumbersome - but not overly. And it is very much in keeping with the original. Good or bad, as Erik said, and interface overhaul was never on the cards.

But I'm way past the interface issues. The gameplay is awesome. I particularly like playing attacjer because you can let the AI get on with it - something he also mentioned a dislike to.

The actual review was fair, but I think the score was harsh. Defo a 6/8 - I'd maybe squeeze a 7 out for it, given the improvements over the originals.
Alba gu' brath
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I just glad he didn't have a Quad Core Computer

:)

EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

I just glad he didn't have a Quad Core Computer

:)