Historical German Unit pull out to the west question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

thackaray

Historical German Unit pull out to the west question

Post by thackaray »

It's been mentioned somewhere that German units will be pulled out historically as events elsewhere occur, e.g. D-Day, Italy collapsing, etc.

1) When this occurs will the German player get advanced warning that units are being pulled out?

I can foresee this being a game spoiler, if units are pulled out of critical battles without notice.

Has a tester playing as German experienced this issue yet and what is your experience of this?

Since I'm not play testing the game I can foresee several issues:

1) German players will use those units that will be pulled out before that specific date, very heavily upto the point where it's just still operational. If a unit has suffered heavy losses but is not destroyed, and then is pulled out to the Italian Front, does the fighting strength of that unit have an effect on the defence of the Front it's been re-assigned to.

2) German players will park those units in reserve, unsupplied, so that they don't take up valuable resources before they get shipped off to another front.
PyleDriver

RE: Historical German Unit pull out to the west question

Post by PyleDriver »

The Wallies really hurt, all that is built in. Guess you need to be better in 41/42...[:D]
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

1) When this occurs will the German player get advanced warning that units are being pulled out?

The list of withdrawing arriving units is known to player. Besides there is withdrawal warning.
1) German players will use those units that will be pulled out before that specific date, very heavily upto the point where it's just still operational. If a unit has suffered heavy losses but is not destroyed, and then is pulled out to the Italian Front, does the fighting strength of that unit have an effect on the defence of the Front it's been re-assigned to.

2) German players will park those units in reserve, unsupplied, so that they don't take up valuable resources before they get shipped off to another front.

If withdrawing unit doesn't have some curtain amount of TOE (75%) it is get frozen and placed on map and have to be rebuild with high refit priority.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
thackaray

Post by thackaray »

Agreed it's going to hurt, but it will be gamey if a German player knows which Units will be pulled out on what dates.

The German can and most likely will use those units heavily before they're pulled from the line.  So if that unit's strength is weakened when it's pulled to another front, what will the affect on that new front be?

I assume the AI brings that unit back up to operational strength on that front by drawing on from central reserve pools.

Then I expect German players, will put that unit into Reserve, no refit option specified, a week before the historical pull out date

Whoops! I was typing this whilst Helpless had posted his message above.

Can someone answer the question below ?

In WIR, we know when certain Units will be available on which turn and when new Factories will come on line and when factories convert to new models.  Are players going to know when specific factories will convert to new models or when units will come online, i.e. a year before they do.

On another point, can the German player determine the replacement levels of a HQ army/front?  For instance in WIR I'd set the Italian Front at 50%, so that that it made more equipment available to the Eastern Front.  I
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Then I expect German players, will put that unit into Reserve, no refit option specified, a week before the historical pull out date

Unit is not withdrawing until it is full to some extent. Player cannot change the refit flag of frozen unit set to withdraw.
Pavel Zagzin
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

There is a hot key that you can leave on that highlights units scheduled for withdraw in blue.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Helpless

Post by Helpless »

On another point, can the German player determine the replacement levels of a HQ army/front?

So far it's done by setting each unit's refit flag. You can set the refit flag for each individual Corps/Army HQ, thus setting all the subordinates.
Pavel Zagzin
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

ORIGINAL: thackaray

Can someone answer the question below ?

1. In WIR, we know when certain Units will be available on which turn and when new Factories will come on line and when factories convert to new models.  Are players going to know when specific factories will convert to new models or when units will come online, i.e. a year before they do.

2. On another point, can the German player determine the replacement levels of a HQ army/front?  For instance in WIR I'd set the Italian Front at 50%, so that that it made more equipment available to the Eastern Front.  I

1. Yes the First/Last year and first/last month of each type of equipment is listed.

2. Not at the level you’re talking about. About the only thing you can do is set units to Refit, which gives them priority on everything. We have made it east to set Refit. If you select Refit on a HQ, every unit under it is set to refit. Also, units set to Refit can still be moved and used to attack or defend. So, in a way you could set every unit in the CF to Refit to make sure that front got the majority of the equipment. Never tried this, it might stop supplying the other fronts with equipment completely. I'll test it out.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

I don't like the withdrawl notification! That means you can grind these units up in some offensive before their pulled out and head west. I don't think this is proper or correct. Need avictory point loss if you send 1 SS Panzer west with 10 riflemen and a Panther instead of a 20,000 man 200 tank division!!!
Capt. Cliff
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I don't like the withdrawl notification! That means you can grind these units up in some offensive before their pulled out and head west. I don't think this is proper or correct. Need avictory point loss if you send 1 SS Panzer west with 10 riflemen and a Panther instead of a 20,000 man 200 tank division!!!

Please read the whole thread -
Unit is not withdrawing until it is full to some extent. Player cannot change the refit flag of frozen unit set to withdraw.
Pavel Zagzin
tiger111

Post by tiger111 »

I think the system that was used in War In Russia worked well.There was a lot of choice but also made you respond to the needs of other fronts.

Western Front.   Year minus 1941 is the number of elite SS Pz or PzGr divs. Elite ie Nordland- not SS Polizie. that must be assigned to WestHQ

Italian Front.       Year minus 1941 is the number of Heer Pz Divs. (ss elite count as 2) assigned. to Italian/Afrika HQ`s

Big penalties if not met.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Please read the whole thread -

So you can now keep a unit destined for withdrawl at below 50% strength, or what ever the magic number is, and then keep it holding the line in the east?? An yes I did read the thread! My point is that the unit is lost and there's a penalty for grinding it up before you lose it.
Capt. Cliff

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”