Most worst/inaccurate wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

V22 Osprey

Most worst/inaccurate wargame

Post by V22 Osprey »

Made at the request of Obsolete.So here you go guys.

I can't say what my worst is as I;ve enjoyed all my purchases.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
stevemk1a

RE: Most worst/inaccurate wargame

Post by stevemk1a »

I don't know how actually inaccurate this game is, but it certainly sucks like a black hole.

http://www.testfreaks.com/pc-games/squad-leader/

My wife bought me this one back then ... she knew I played ASL and thought I'd like it. Not so good..[:(]
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

lol,even though the game is fairly bad, it was one of the first computer wargames I played and I managed to have some fun with it.I think I've still got it if anyone wants it[:D]
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

lol,even though the game is fairly bad, it was one of the first computer wargames I played and I managed to have some fun with it.I think I've still got it if anyone wants it[:D]

Actually, yes I'd want it. I enjoyed Soldiers at War but missed this one entirely. I do understand this was a slight variation of that game and not ASL in the least (as well as being hated by a good many people).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

As V22 Osprey says I've enjoyed pretty much all my wargame purchases. There are certainly some "inaccurate" games out there. For instance RTS games that have huge tank battles at point blank range with all the tanks piled up on top of each other like a parking lot. Granted I still enjoy some of those games regardless.

OTOH if I may pick the most accurate wargame I would pick 2by3 and Matrix's War in the Pacific (especially the CHS or RHS mods). I've never seen a computer game in my life which was such a stickler for historical detail. And I'm sure the AE edition coming out will be even more detailed (essentially the BEST of the BEST). Of course I haven't tried the HPS games yet either so they may be equally detailed, I don't know.
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

If you had said strategy, I would have said Computer Diplomacy...

But, since we are talking about Wargames, it is fairly difficult. I have been picky with purchases too, so I don't have much chaff hanging about. I have heard there were a lot of dogs over the years, but managed to avoid them so far.

I am fairly certain Operation Europe was a bit shonky, but it has been many, many years since I played it.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Worst is a toss up between Fields of Glory and Napoleon 1813. In both cases they looked really good and could have actually been really good, but in both cases the designers left the 'I' out of 'AI' completely. It wasn't so much poor as non-existent, to the extent it was impossible to lose unless you actually tried. And no multiplay, of course.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

A huge letdown at that time was Sudden Strike. What previously was supposed to become a Close Combat in 3D, turned out as some kind of Command & Conquer with WW2 foil.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

One problem with trying to go for INNACURATE games, is every game is innacurate if you think down deep enough.  Hell, you think Axis&Allies handles anything accurate?  But then some could say why stop there, why not go and rag on the game Risk, etc.  That's why I think it's best to think in terms of... What just was the most terrible?

If one can stretch things and call A&A some sort of wargame, I'd say the computer version (pre-patch) gets one nominee since:

1.  AI was absoutely TERRIBLE.
2.  Game was virtually unplayable online, despite it was advertised as supporting online.

Actually, I believe there was one Panzer General game that turned out after going gold, the developers realized their online support was non-existant because the in-house beta testing never revealed the fact that all players need to be on the same network & timezone to connect, lol.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

why not go and rag on the game Risk, etc.

ROFL I almost went there! (I mean, how accurate is it when Australia always wins? *grin*)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

A huge letdown at that time was Sudden Strike. What previously was supposed to become a Close Combat in 3D, turned out as some kind of Command & Conquer with WW2 foil.

I had been unsure of what game I would nominate until Lutzow reminded me of this series...I actually picked up the 3rd one.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

Stalin vs The Martians

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-stalin-vs/46477

Even though I'm drunk I still can't work out what the hell is going down in that video [&:]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Hmmm, that sounds like a challenge to me. Accepted ! I will now get drunk and try to figure it out.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

There was a computer game of the U.S. Civil War sponsored by the History Channel. It wasn't bad, it was absolutely ridiculously bad -- I was stunned.

Regards,
Feltan
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

Close Combat 4: Battle of the Bulge never had any Tigers in it, at least not until you had wiped out the German attackers several times over.  Still a nice game though.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Worst is a toss up between Fields of Glory and Napoleon 1813. In both cases they looked really good and could have actually been really good, but in both cases the designers left the 'I' out of 'AI' completely. It wasn't so much poor as non-existent, to the extent it was impossible to lose unless you actually tried. And no multiplay, of course.

I had FoG and still liked even though the AI sucked. You had to baby sit your artillery or else they would charge the enemy.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

It was some civil war game on the battle of Gettysburg "Blue thunder Gray smoke" or some such thing.  The map was totally out of scale with the unit Icons.  I sent it back to the factory and they returned it (first class postage no less) telling me I had to return it to where ai bought it from.  The place that sold it it to me said a refund was not authorized as ther was nothing wrong with it (except it was a real piece of crap)
  I returned it to the factory with the address of a guy who was at the top of my list of gamers I liked the least, figuring that they deserved each other...heck  he most likely liked it.

Madgamer 
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Fields of Glory. A shocker.
There was a Rorke's drift one where individual soldiers were controlled. Ammo,fatigue, morale, leaders. It looked very promising. But nothing happened.
The zulu's ran up to the walls,hand to hand ensued and ... nothing. It made no difference if troops fired or not.
I went out and came back a day later. Still fighting, still nothing.
There was a sequel too! Still nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”