Computer War in Europe

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Twotribes

Computer War in Europe

Post by Twotribes »

Remember SPI's massive board game, War in the West and War in the East, which would combine into War in Europe? The Computer Version ( or rather the latest computer version, is out and available. It allows you to pick from 4 different rule sets and multiple options with several campaigns and scenarios.

Decision Games sells it. There is no AI, so you either play Email or solo as all the sides. For those unaware there are 3 sides, Axis, Western Allies and the Soviet Union. It is Division level game of World War two in Europe, Soviet Union West of the Urals and North Africa-Middle East. Although the Soviets generally use Corps not Divisions.

Each turn is a week with 4 turns combined into a cycle and a production portion prior to the start of each 4 turns, 13 cycles a year. The old Board game originally had on Germany and the Soviets producing but later add the West. The game allows the west, if you chose, to produce rather then us a set production track.

U-boat war, Naval and Air war are a bit abstracted.

If you ever played solo the Board game you will love the Computer version. If you just have to have an AI, this is definately not your cup of tea.

Hope Matrix doesn't mind I posted this, it really is not in a direct threat to any of the Games Matrix sells.

For a first release it doesn't seem to have many bugs at all, but really it is a second release, they built it up from an older game from some years ago and added a ton of features and rules options.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
JudgeDredd

RE: Computer War in Europe

Post by JudgeDredd »

Link TT?
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Nevermind...found the link
Alba gu' brath
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Link TT?
http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

A rather steep price but probably less than what a paper version would cost these days.

I see you beat me to it.[;)]
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I have a near mint version of the old game if anyone wants to consider buying it PM me. I did set it up once complete with Plexiglas sheets covering the maps. It is impossible to play alone so maybe this will start a trend. Perhaps without an AI the old big games will make a comeback for those who fancy PBEM. I would like to see the Europa series done and programs added to help with all the book work and production.

I am afraid that this might spell the doom of AI games..I hope not as some of us are not up to the requirements of a PBEM game.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Decision games also did a remake of the Board game, it cost 250 dollars and quickly was sold out.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I think there is a lot of the "buy it because its there" kind of thinking still out there. When I was younger and had more money I bought many of the board games I am going to sell to a web site because of that reasoning, including a copy of the original WIE.
Just to set it up takes more space than many have and finding anyone to devote that much time to a game of that size will be difficult. I think that part of the reason I bought some 100 games back then was just to have them.
Being retired now and times being what they are I am selling them (even WIE) because I need the money and I no longer hasve the time, money or space for a collection that I will never play. I don't think I am the collector type. I own 4 guitars including two hand made custiom 6 strings, one old guild 12 and a newer Taylor 6 string. I have ordered another custom 12 from the same guys that built my other two and will sell the Taylor. I gues 2 6 string and 2 12 string are more than I need.

Madgamer
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

Wasn't there a Med front addition as well?

In any case, I would love Totaler Krieg or TSR's ETO and PTO to be remade in this fashion. Simpler rulesets, huge campaign = more people willing to play. Even with PBEM I would be hard pressed to get someone else devoting enough time to playing this with me.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Remember SPI's massive board game, War in the West and War in the East, which would combine into War in Europe? The Computer Version ( or rather the latest computer version, is out and available. It allows you to pick from 4 different rule sets and multiple options with several campaigns and scenarios.

Decision Games sells it. There is no AI, so you either play Email or solo as all the sides. For those unaware there are 3 sides, Axis, Western Allies and the Soviet Union. It is Division level game of World War two in Europe, Soviet Union West of the Urals and North Africa-Middle East. Although the Soviets generally use Corps not Divisions.

Each turn is a week with 4 turns combined into a cycle and a production portion prior to the start of each 4 turns, 13 cycles a year. The old Board game originally had on Germany and the Soviets producing but later add the West. The game allows the west, if you chose, to produce rather then us a set production track.

U-boat war, Naval and Air war are a bit abstracted.

If you ever played solo the Board game you will love the Computer version. If you just have to have an AI, this is definately not your cup of tea.

Hope Matrix doesn't mind I posted this, it really is not in a direct threat to any of the Games Matrix sells.

For a first release it doesn't seem to have many bugs at all, but really it is a second release, they built it up from an older game from some years ago and added a ton of features and rules options.

Did yo uactually buy it? If so how is it? I played the demo and was impressed but it was only a 4 turn Polish campaign so not much air or naval fighting or production. Never played the board version.

Wish they had digital download....

I'd love to see the Europa series as well.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I think this is a prime example of where the demo (not a demo) is bad.

Short and a very complex game to boot. The demo was, for all intents and purposes, useless. It certainly didn't sell me. They would've been better with an interactive tutorial for a game like this...but we all know the reasons they give for not doing one.

It put me off...and bearing in mind there's no AI and they want $60 for it, you'd think they'd try and sell me!
Alba gu' brath
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I have a near mint version of the old game if anyone wants to consider buying it PM me. I did set it up once complete with Plexiglas sheets covering the maps. It is impossible to play alone so maybe this will start a trend. Perhaps without an AI the old big games will make a comeback for those who fancy PBEM. I would like to see the Europa series done and programs added to help with all the book work and production.

I am afraid that this might spell the doom of AI games..I hope not as some of us are not up to the requirements of a PBEM game.

Madgamer

I p[layed it a number of times but always with at least 5 players. It was a blast. It's not nearly as complicated as you would think judging by the map size and number of counters. The actual game play was easy. It was all the other stuff (production, air interdiction etc that took the time). Playing it with just 2 people would be tough but you could do it.
A mint copy should be worth quite a bit. Hope you get some offers![:)]
DD696

Post by DD696 »

I just ordered it. All my hundreds of board games are in storage back in Idaho and I haven't seen them for years. SPI's War in Europe was always my favorite. Had it set up in one room for many years and played it mostly solitaire. It should be great having it on the computer and having all the editing options it has.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: DD696

I just ordered it. All my hundreds of board games are in storage back in Idaho and I haven't seen them for years. SPI's War in Europe was always my favorite. Had it set up in one room for many years and played it mostly solitaire. It should be great having it on the computer and having all the editing options it has.

I think you will be happy.

I loaded my copy right before tax season ended. But all I was able to do was take a quick peek. It brought back many memories. My buddy and I had planned to start a PBEM May 1, alas that has been pushed to either June 1 or July 1 (life is getting in the way of FUN).

Enjoy!!!!
Flipper
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I think there is a lot of the "buy it because its there" kind of thinking still out there. When I was younger and had more money I bought many of the board games I am going to sell to a web site because of that reasoning, including a copy of the original WIE.
Just to set it up takes more space than many have and finding anyone to devote that much time to a game of that size will be difficult. I think that part of the reason I bought some 100 games back then was just to have them.
Being retired now and times being what they are I am selling them (even WIE) because I need the money and I no longer hasve the time, money or space for a collection that I will never play. I don't think I am the collector type. I own 4 guitars including two hand made custiom 6 strings, one old guild 12 and a newer Taylor 6 string. I have ordered another custom 12 from the same guys that built my other two and will sell the Taylor. I gues 2 6 string and 2 12 string are more than I need.

Madgamer

Have you looked into Consimworld ? Games like WIE were the reason that conference was created. I'm not a close follower of that forum or "genre" but I'll bet you can find someone there who will meet with you and play the game but yeah, you'd need to travel to Phoenix.

BTW, is your copy of WIE punched ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I played the demo

Note that a PDF version of the manual is included in the demo.

The demo sold me and I bought the game.

As I get into the nuts and bolts I find it is a very good game.

I intend to play a few short Scenarios PBEM before playing any Campaign games.

Errata: The game was a board game made for computer. Some of the fans treat it like that. I hope to influence the developers to add some engancements along the lines of "utilising computers to make wargaming better".

-

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

A demo of the game can be downloaded. The demo includes the full manual.

http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

The game has that board game look and feel but it is not as board gamey as the screen shots make out.

The game has a series of Scenarios and Campaigns.

The Scenarios and Campaigns are set in various places across the map and in various weather conditions

The difference between Scenarios and Campaigns is that Campaigns include production

The first screeny is from the Russian front

The boot of Italy.

The English channel

The final screen shot shows how tactical air warfare is resolved.

The player has a choice as to where he can move his available air points. The choices are:

Air Superiority
Ground Support
Air Sea interdiction
Transfer the points to another front

madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

sorry about the late reply but computer problems with my other main system. I have now sold my 70+ games to Noble Knight Games for a fair price. My WIE game was punched in 4 trays and missing only one French unit which they replaced. The last time I looked I think it was priced at a little over $200.
The whole experience of checking some 70 games was interesting because out of that number perhaps maybe 25 were top selling games and the rest in the $20-40 range. There were a number of odd entries that I have not seen o the site yet In spite of what Mr. E has said elsewhere Noble Knight Games is a great place to do business.

Madgamer
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

does this game have TCP/IP online play?If so I may actually get this despite no AI.Looks like fun and well thought out game.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
TemKarl

Post by TemKarl »

The play modes are 'hotseat' and PBEM only. There's no direct TCP/online mode. It was discussed during the early development planning, but with main campaign turns sometimes taking up to an hour to complete it was felt the 'non-phasing' player would quickly loose interest. The focus has been on making PBEM as simple and quick as possible.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: cwie

The play modes are 'hotseat' and PBEM only. There's no direct TCP/online mode. It was discussed during the early development planning, but with main campaign turns sometimes taking up to an hour to complete it was felt the 'non-phasing' player would quickly loose interest. The focus has been on making PBEM as simple and quick as possible.

Good Point.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.

Return to “General Discussion”