SM: Runtime error

This forum is for bug reports and support requests.

Moderator: Arjuna

GoodGuy

SM: Runtime error

Post by GoodGuy »

I'm getting a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -> Runtime error" everytime i try to export a force list (from one of the stock scenarios), with the SM window freezing after the error message. The SM should be able to export let's say a division properly (to a xml-file), no?

SM Version 3.4.151 <- this is the latest patch, right? I just reinstalled COTA on a brandnew custom rig, and I can't remember if that's the latest patch or not.

Any help appreciated.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

RE: SM: Runtime error

Post by Arjuna »

Are you running on a Vista machine?
&nbsp;
If so, please check your Windows\System32 directory and advise what msxml#.dll files you have installed? ( Where # is a number, either 3, 4 or 6 )
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

What we have found is that with Vista they install msxml3 and msxml6. COTA uses msxml4. If this is the case on your machine, then you need to go to the Microsoft website and download the msxml4 drivers. Try here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42
&nbsp;
You should update your system after installing this as there is at least one other later security update for msxml4 that I can recall.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

FYI we are reverting to msxml3 for BFTB. We do not need any of the features of v4 or v6 and v3 is common on all Windows operating systems.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

First off, thank you for your quick reply.

I do have Win XP Pro with SP 3, though. There is msxlm2.dll and msxml3 on my system, but not 4.

I wonder now, does this mean I'd never be able to export force lists on a XP/Vista machine, unless i'd get that update? Did noone else (of the customers) try/ask this before? If you ever update COTA (be it estabs, or mission packs) you might want to add this info to cota's README file. [:)]
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Works like a charm now, thank you !
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

IIRC msxml4 should have been installed with the latest patch if you didn't have it. But I would need to confirm that.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Version 3.4.151 ... is that the latest patch? If so, it doesn't look like msxml4 got installed during the patch process. I can't imagine that another application would remove msxml4 during its deinstallation. This machine holds a fresh install of Win XP, but I recently uninstalled 4 or 5 apps, so I can't totally rule out this possibility.
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Well I have been confounded at the way msxml services seem to change with various windows updates and other applicationso. So anything is possible. That's one reason why we have opted to use msxml3 for BFTB. It's the only one guaranteed to be there across all OSs.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean Support”