How to download WIR

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Nottinghamian

How to download WIR

Post by Nottinghamian »

I hope someone can help me, as I'm barely computer literate.

I download the game, and I unzip it in winzip. The game goes into a folder on my computer drive. What do I do next? There doesn't seem to be an "install" file, and the only file ("WIR") which looks like it should open the game says :

"This system does not not support full screen mode" and I have to then teminate.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks.
Rasputitsa

RE: How to download WIR

Post by Rasputitsa »

When you have the WIR folder on you drive, you click the WIR.exe file, which will run the game. This is an old DOS based game and may not initially play on newer systems. There are several steps you can try, this is not a detailed tutorial, just an idea of where the solution may be. You can reset program compatibility (right click on the WIR.exe file, select 'properties', select 'compatibility', set 'compatibilty mode' to run as for WIN95. You could experiment with the display settings on the same page. Additionally, DOSbox is a free download utility, which enables use of most DOS games on most systems. Frontend utilities from the same website make DOSbox easier to use. Web search 'dosbox download', look for Dosbox for Windows 0.72 and I use DOSshell 1.2 (frontend) from the tools section on the same page. Other people may use different combinations, but this works for me in XP and Vista. Have a look at these options, don't do anything on your computer unless you are confident about what will happen. When you have seen what's available, we could discuss it further and I am sure other people here have walked the same path and can advise. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Nottinghamian

Post by Nottinghamian »

Thanks for the reply. I changed the program compatibility but I still get the same error messgae. I'm not computer literate enough to attempt the DOSbox download! Someone told me at work the problem was almost certainly a vista compatibility issue.

It's not looking very hopeful, but I'll have a think about this.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I am almost certain that the problem can be solved with DOSbox and DOSshell, I take the point about doing the download and the advice always is don't do anything you are not sure about. However, the download and installation of DOSbox and DOSshell is quite easy. 'USA' who is on this forum, has just done this, to achieve screenshots and maybe able to set your mind at rest. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

U.S.A.

Post by U.S.A. »

Nottinghamian,

Hi. Trust me, Rasputitsa is correct. If a computer dunce like me can handle it, anyone can.

I actually couldn't believe how almost automatically DOSShell and DOSbox worked together and solved all the issues about screenshots I was having. I'm sure they'll get the game running for you.

I'll try to retrace my steps as I remember them as follows:

1. Download DOSShell and DOSbox and unzip (or "extract") both.
2. Open DOSShell.
3. Click "Edit" at top of DOSShell and select "Add new entry."
4. Type "WIR" in name field, and "pull-down" "Games" in groups field.
5. Click "Browse" next to "Path to Executable" and locate your WIR folder. I downloaded my copy of WIR into a folder on the desktop to make it as simple as possible.
6. Locate wir in your folder. That's the icon you've been clicking to try to open the game as indicated in your original post. Click on that so that DOSShell now has the path.
7. Click OK on DOSShell.

You should now see a WIR icon on the Games tab of DOSShell. Click on it, and the game should run.

Let me know how it works, and I'll be happy to do the best I can to help.
Matt. 22:36-40
Ps. 98:4-6
Nottinghamian

Post by Nottinghamian »

Thanks chaps. I'll have a go, and will let you know how I get along.
Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

Where do I go to download the WIR Matrix update and where do I go to download those DOSshell and DOSbox programs?
WARHOG

Post by WARHOG »

Hi
I'm having the same problem and have done all the steps required to download. I have one problem at the end when I click on the WIR icon. It says: Cannot find DOSBOX configuration file. Please check folder path under edit and preferences. What do I put here?

Thanks
GTGSAILOR

Post by GTGSAILOR »

Using U.S.A. technique I can get the program to run.  The problem is that the window it runs in is only about 1/4 of the screen and I can not get it to enlarge.  It also captures my mouse pointer and I can not get out of the screen  unless I use control/alt/delete and close the application.

If the window size limation can be overcome is there any way to automate the log on to just clicking a icon on the desk top?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

For Dosbox, the command to toggle full-screen is <alt> <enter>
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

There is a long list of key board commands that you can access via help in DosBox.&nbsp; you need to read through them and extract the ones you need.
Pax
GTGSAILOR

Post by GTGSAILOR »

Thanks, that did help a lot.&nbsp; I now have a useable screen, barely.&nbsp; The map extends all the way across the screen horizontaly but is ony about 1/2 screen vertically.&nbsp; Any sugestions on how to get a really ful screen?&nbsp; I am using Vista.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: GTGSAILOR

Thanks, that did help a lot.  I now have a useable screen, barely.  The map extends all the way across the screen horizontaly but is ony about 1/2 screen vertically.  Any sugestions on how to get a really ful screen?  I am using Vista.

Once you have used the ALT/ENTER keys that is full screen as far as it goes, but it should be a useable size. When you click in the game screen at rthe start you activate the mouse pointer in the game, you have to exit the game and close it down to regain your normal pointer. If the game freezes and you can't close it, use keys CTRL/ALT/DEL to close down the unresponding game. [:)]

WARHOG

Post by WARHOG »

Hi
I'm having the same problem and have done all the steps required to download. I have one problem at the end when I click on the WIR icon. It says: Cannot find DOSBOX configuration file. Please check folder path under edit and preferences. What do I put here?

Thanks

Can anyone help me with this?

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”