June Release: WitPTracker now at 1.6!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Ambassador

RE: WitPTracker 1.4

Post by Ambassador »

I transitionned to the last version, no problem in the process (except I forgot to change the properties file, so I first had an error when I tried to read a turn - forgot to set it to gametype0 ; my bad, but it's worth advertising, I'm probably not the only distraction-prone player).  I've noticed that the history of the ships began from the very beginning, instead of starting at the next turn reading.  Was the program already tracking those info without displaying them ?[&:]
Thanks a lot for the devices, it's really, really useful.[&o]

I've also noticed a weird thing, but I'm not sure it's new.  Even more, I'm sure the problem is not actually Tracker's to begin with, it just has consequences in it.
In the LCU panel, the three sub-units of a chinese corps I split a month ago (game-time) show Formation value that are not consistent with this field.  They show something like 18200/24000, instead of the 81/100 or so they should.  But in-game, they appear to have an unavailable TOE.  It's a problem I don't have for other divided units (even other chinese corps).
So, if people complain about the same problem in TOE/formation values, that's were it's coming from.  Or at least it's one possible explanation.

On the things-to-add-list, may I issue another suggestion (by thinking very hard about it) ?  A "history" of the lost planes, perhaps both global (per side) and individual (per model).[;)]
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador
I've noticed that the history of the ships began from the very beginning, instead of starting at the next turn reading.  Was the program already tracking those info without displaying them ?[&:]
Thanks a lot for the devices, it's really, really useful.[&o]

The program was tracking Sys damage etc already for the repair screen, so yes it was included. I'd like to discuss with Floyd a better way to manage ship carrying planes, so maybe to show the air groups in the display panel ... I agree the device info is really useful. Although frustrating that the engine doesn;t reinforce more quickly. Otherwise it would also be nice to track where devices go each turn, without searching each one... maybe a colour indicator could make this easier.

I've also noticed a weird thing, but I'm not sure it's new.  Even more, I'm sure the problem is not actually Tracker's to begin with, it just has consequences in it.
In the LCU panel, the three sub-units of a chinese corps I split a month ago (game-time) show Formation value that are not consistent with this field.  They show something like 18200/24000, instead of the 81/100 or so they should.  But in-game, they appear to have an unavailable TOE.  It's a problem I don't have for other divided units (even other chinese corps).
So, if people complain about the same problem in TOE/formation values, that's were it's coming from.  Or at least it's one possible explanation.
I'll have a look and see if there are similar problems, but we often *1000 before rendering down ... but I don't think this is it ... maybe it is a savegame error ... you would be amazed by the errors that occur.
On the things-to-add-list, may I issue another suggestion (by thinking very hard about it) ?  A "history" of the lost planes, perhaps both global (per side) and individual (per model).[;)]
I thought we do a history of the global planes lost in the victory pts panel(Totals), and an individual model history in the plane production area but I've just noticed that the plane histories are not working properly for 1.4 but did for 1.3.1 ... I'll need to fix this for the next release, I believe that we tried to fix something else here and caused another problem ...

And thanks for always giving good suggestions and using good net etiquette ...
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

The program was tracking Sys damage etc already for the repair screen, so yes it was included. I'd like to discuss with Floyd a better way to manage ship carrying planes, so maybe to show the air groups in the display panel ... I agree the device info is really useful. Although frustrating that the engine doesn;t reinforce more quickly. Otherwise it would also be nice to track where devices go each turn, without searching each one... maybe a colour indicator could make this easier.
Yes, that'd be useful for some. Personnaly, I only look on several turns, to get an idea about the speed at which the LCU reinforces. But green/red arrows, like everywhere else, would be a good way to do it. I find those arrows make the tables easier to understand than simply colouring the number or the background.

And I fully agree with the display of the carrier air groups. As for the history, it's not only damage, but also Endurance that pleasantly surprised me.
I'll have a look and see if there are similar problems, but we often *1000 before rendering down ... but I don't think this is it ... maybe it is a savegame error ... you would be amazed by the errors that occur.
I am already. I'm becoming quite the philosopher there...[:(]
The numbers shown are probably depicting the proportion of elements non-disabled compared to the total number of elements in the unit. And as there's no TOE attached to the unit, it doesn't scale down to a base-100.
I'm 99% sure it's a problem with the savegame, but I won't be able to reunite those subunits for a month (game-time, a big week RL) to be sure. And these are the only ones to have that problem, while I've split numerous chinese corps.
I thought we do a history of the global planes lost in the victory pts panel(Totals), and an individual model history in the plane production area but I've just noticed that the plane histories are not working properly for 1.4 but did for 1.3.1 ... I'll need to fix this for the next release, I believe that we tried to fix something else here and caused another problem ...
When I mentionned "total", I meant "totals split as ground, A2A, flak & ops losses totals". IIRC (I'm at work currently - or rather, in my office, since work, hum...[:o]), the VP panel shows only the "total-total" number. Msuggestion was more about a table showing how many planes were lost that turn (say turn X), than showing the total number of planes lost from turns 1 to X (which is what VP panel shows).
And thanks for always giving good suggestions and using good net etiquette ...
Thank you, I try to help.
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

ORIGINAL: n01487477
ORIGINAL: rjopel
I'm having problems running WITP recently.  I am getting this error when I run the batch file.
Do you have a folder named "lib" in WITPTracker folder? In that folder should be a single file: hsqldb.jar

What version are you running ?

Problem solved. I copied and dragged the files from the zip, not extract. So they all ended up in one folder.

Thanks.
Ryan Opel
BShaftoe

Post by BShaftoe »

Every version the program keeps getting better. Thanks!
BShaftoe
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1945634

Would Tracker show if torpedo tubes on a sub are repaired, while the identified bug keeps this hidden in-game ?  I don't know where your program reads the info on damaged ships, but this might help the OP of the thread I linked to if this data was read from the actual info, bypassing the display bug.  Any idea ?
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Theoretically if there is a display bug with the WITP interface, then Tracker, which reads directly from the savefile would give you the most accurate information as to whether the device is indeed damaged.

However, if it is a glitch with the program which is affecting the repair of the ship device, then it will probably show what the game interface is showing ... that it isn't repaired.

Bug chasers nightmare ...

Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Speaking of bug, I've a problem with my 2nd UK division.  I ferried it to Bangkok some twenty turns ago, and noticed yesterday that Tracker shows it's incomplete, with only 23 infantry squads and close to no artillery/support.  While in-game, it's 97/100, fully complete.  And Tracker shows it at 23 squads right from the unload, so it's not only last turn.  Could it be because the LCU was split in several APs and the fragments messed in Tracker ?

Maybe I should read all turns anew.  I started this game with your 1.1 version, so there've been a lot of updates...[:o]
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Guys, you did a good job; WitPTracker gets ever more indispensable for playing WitP. Scads of information, everything working.

Everything?

No. In a remote corner of the Ship Production panel, a bug is stubbornly resisting (I'm sorry to say):

On accelerated ships, if the Delay is an odd number, the number in the Accel Delay column is too low by two (and the value in the DOA column is off by two days as a consequence). Apparently something's gone wrong with the algorithm.

Attachments
trackersp.jpg
trackersp.jpg (187.63 KiB) Viewed 89 times
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

On accelerated ships, if the Delay is an odd number, the number in the Accel Delay column is too low by two (and the value in the DOA column is off by two days as a consequence). Apparently something's gone wrong with the algorithm.

Somewhere between me doing the algorithm and emailing it to Floyd, it hasn't been implemented correctly. On my code version it works properly, but in the build version it doesn't, so I believe it hasn't been updated. When Floyd gets back, I have 2 quick fixes that need to be brought into an incremental, this is one of them, the other is for the airproduction histories, which are now in error.

MikeMike, you must think I got my degree from a Corn Flake packet ... with the number of times you have posted about this ... [:D] [:D]
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

MikeMike, you must think I got my degree from a Corn Flake packet ... with the number of times you have posted about this ... [:D] [:D]

Damian, I feel for you. After more than two decades of software development, I've had my full share of bug fixes that mysteriously disappear on the way from developer test to release version, and stranger things have happened than the folks building the release package mistakenly compiling the wrong source version. Would you believe that an outfit that shipped source code to customers included code that had never compiled successfully?

Two of the Murpyisms I've always found to be worryingly true are

- bugs that are obvious are usually hellishly difficult to squash
- if a program seems to run correctly on the first try, it probably hides a subtle but serious bug somewhere that never surfaces in testing but brings the application to a screaming halt first day in production.
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Minor request - On the bases page, sorting by VP's doesn't work properly.  Any way to fix?
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Minor request - On the bases page, sorting by VP's doesn't work properly.  Any way to fix?
Yes, I'll get Floyd to look at it when he returns from his holiday.
Matto

Post by Matto »

Found a possible bug ... playing WitP CHS from witpdtracker version 1.3.1 ... now updated to 1.4.0 and it looks, that history of pool of a/c is do not updated or wrong updated ...

Attachments
witptracker.jpg
witptracker.jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Yes Matto,
I found that ... it is my mistake ... sorry, I'll fix it very soon, with an interim release, maybe in a few weeks.
Sorry for creating problems, when none existed before.

Damian
Matto

Post by Matto »

No problem ...&nbsp;[8D]
Thanks for your work !
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Damian, got it working by deleting the old db files and just letting it generate everything afresh.
&nbsp;
Couple of things which I think would be doable and add a lot to the utility of tracker...
&nbsp;
1. I've been looking through my ship ugrades and I'm trying to see if a particular CA upgrade is worth it.... basically an IJN player has the option of upgrading a single Mogami class ship to a CS in June 1942. All of the other Mogami class ships upgrade in October 1942 to just remain standard CAs with their standard gun armaments.

Anyways the Mogami June upgrade used to be a dead end. Once it was done there was no way of going back ( I've fixed that in order to allow it to upgrade to the "normal" CA in October 42 ) so what I think would be wonderful is if we could have the option of seeing what the NEXT upgrade would do. E.g See what happens with the June 42 upgrade is it currently is but also have the option of seeing what happens at the NEXT upgrade after the June 42 one.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
2. Would it be possible to show a comparison of pre and post-upgrade speed, class type capacity, radars,&nbsp;AAA, ASW and gun power? Sometimes I'm not really sure if an upgrade is worth it or not. Sure it seems to give me radar but sometimes I'd rather keep the guns and wait for the upgrade after the current one.
&nbsp;
E.g. In my mod the Minekaze APD becomes a DD but I think it loses a fair bit of AAA power in doing so. It'd be nice to be sure about this one way or the other before I let a whole class upgrade.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Nemo,
I think this is doable, and would certainly make the upgrade screen more useful. Especially getting a rating on AA/ASW etc.

The Ship Class screen does show all the upgrades (without ratings ... which would be a good addition here too), but I get your point about seeing multiple upgrades. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ship upgrades take a linear path and if you miss one, you must do the first upgrade before the second ... right ?

The ship upgrade area is Floyd's but I'm sure he will take note of it and maybe he can look at it after his holidays.

I was thinking that I won't do the Mogami upgrade, but I'm glad to hear that a new version, would allow other upgrades.

Cheers, I'll get a turn to you soon

Damian

Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Aye, the ship upgrades follow a linear path and you have to get the 1st before you can do the 2nd BUT if you are in Osaka and you are due your 2nd upgrade simply waiting 3 or 4 days for sys damage to be repaired after the first upgrade should allow you to get the 2nd.
&nbsp;
Turn: Cool, I'm looking forward to it.
&nbsp;
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Just upgraded to v1.4 ....

Terrific tool ! Couple of questions/items......

1) When I have upgraded, I lose my previous turn history from previous version that I was running. Is this expected ? If not, how do I import "old" turns (all under the same game turn file, just over time) and if not, could this feature be added ?
2) With the latest turn I got all my LCU's that arrived as arriving at an unknown location ? .....

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”