Help with Workbook

Post new mods and scenarios here.
W Thorne

Help with Workbook

Post by W Thorne »

Before in modding the Data files I used QClone. I see now that you have a Workbook and text files for modding. It looks like it should be easier to use but I could use some help in how to import existing text files into the Workbook. Thanks for any help.
Andrew Williams

RE: Help with Workbook

Post by Andrew Williams »

The workbook is being finalised and will be available for download shortly.
ImageImage
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

Thanks. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Sorry for a stupid question but What's workbook?
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

It is a big text made on microsoft excell for load all the data base from game. We saw it on Close Combat Modern Tactics and we will see it on CC4 WAR. It is easy and fast for mod.
Senior Drill

Post by Senior Drill »

I'll expand a bit on what Normada_Firefox posted. Workbooks are a collection of worksheets or pages of text files rendered with a spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel or the freeware Open Office. MS Works used single spreadsheets, MS Excel and Open Office use multiple spreadsheets collected into workbooks that are paged together.

CC1, CC2 and CC3 used tab delimited text files for the data files. CC4 and CC5's data files were compressed into Atomic Database files (.adb) that required the use of QClone to de-compress them into text files and then re-compress them into .adb files. CC WaR has been changed from the Atomic CC4 version to change those data files back to straight tab delimited text files - best edited in a spreadsheet application.

A few years ago, I, with the considerable and acknowledged help of others, created a series of CC Data Workbooks that lay out the game data in columnar spreadsheets with full explanations if the use, range of data and data codes for each data column in the game data files as an aid to modding the files and hence the version of CC or CC mod that one was for. The base information came from the programmer who had access to the source code so they have header information that is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, albeit limited somewhat in his ability to put up with my repeated requests for clarification due to my dunderheaded grasp of what he was saying.

Many people helped with the refinement of the definitions, the creation of formulas to cross check data consistency - a major pain in the rear of modders - and calculations of real life data to game parameter values. The collective process has produced fairly easy to use workbooks of data spreadsheets that ease the process of game modding.

@ W Thorne - First off, always back up the files you are going to work on! And keep a pristine copy of your Data Workbook! As many of the workbook tabs contain formulas in fields outside the data range, never work directly in a workbook data tab. Things like adding a row or moving a line can screw up the calculator fields. Instead, create a new spreadsheet in that workbook and copy the header and data to that one for editing.

When you are satisfied with the editing changes you have made on the copy of the spreadsheet you have done, copy the range of data, I'll repeat that, the range of data back to original spreadsheet workpage, which is, of course a copy of the pristine workbook you keep as a backup, and paste it back into the data range of the appropriate spreadsheet. Then change any of the columnar data that the calculation formulas say you need to adjust (or you know from learned experience or included instructions that you need to double check or change). Key words here are Data and Range. And on your Mod's saved and renamed copy of the original, pristine Data Workbook.

At that point, you can open up the CC WaR (or whatever version or version mod) data file as a spreadsheet, which is, of course your copy of the backed up originals. Back up! Back up! Back up! Never edit on originals!

Paste the data range into the (copy of the backed up original - I can't stress that point enough) \Data\Base\ *.txt file. Just the data, no headers, no calculator fields - just the game data. Adjust the line count entry in A1 if necessary and save it as a Tab Delimited Text file.

Place that in the \Data\Base\ folder and give 'er a whirl. If you paid attention to detail, your modification should work.

Good luck and happy modding!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

Thanks for the help Senior Drill. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

Hello,
Long post with several questions please bear with me.
Can someone please help in explaining what the “Battle group 'base' battle plans:”
inside the Campaign.txt file are? The file states……..

#########################################################################
# Battle group 'base' battle plans: Controls the default plan used by
# A given BG when opposed by a given enemy BG. Plans are:
# 0 = all out attack, 1 = limited attack, 2 = probing attack, 3 = defend, 4 = survive
# NOTE: The base plan will be refined based on commander aggression and
# situation, and may result in an actual battle plan +/-1 from base.
# Allied Infantry BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Allied Recon BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Allied Armor BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Allied Armored Inf BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Allied Parachute Inf BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Allied Engineer Inf BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Infantry BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Recon BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Armor BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Armored Inf BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Parachute Inf BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG
# Axis Engineer Inf BG vs Allied infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG

There are 6 rows of #’s that look to edit the aggressiveness of ones Battle in conjunction of the BG Commanders Aggressiveness from the Workbook.
Why just 6 #’s?

I see all the Axis #’s set at 0 which =All out Attack Except for the last one.
But in my GC playing as the Allies settings at Line/Line I find it very difficult that some Axis BG’s aren’t as aggressive as I would like them to be.
Would the best solution to make the AI more aggressive be to set all the BG Commanders Aggression to +5?
Also it looks to me that once the BG Commanders Aggresion/Caution/Charisma and Tactics are set (looking at the Workbook under BG’s) that will be set for the duration of the GC……….Correct?

How would one go about having the Axis BG’s very Aggressive for say the first 10 days of the GC then slowly adjust back to being more cautious?
Or is that even possible?

And what exactly is the Note explaining here?
NOTE: The base plan will be refined based on commander aggression and
# situation, and may result in an actual battle plan +/-1 from base

Based on what type of situation?The situation of the Battle?Deployment? Current GC status?

And last but not least would be understand the Score from the Campaign .txt

# "Score" is a percentage of victory for the Axis. Allied score = 100 - Axis score.

Sorry but I don’t understand this column at all
Andrew Williams

Battle group 'base' battle plans: Controls the default plan used by
A given BG when opposed by a given enemy BG. Plans are:
0 = all out attack, 1 = limited attack, 2 = probing attack, 3 = defend, 4 = survive

Allied Infantry BG vs Axis infantry, recon, armor, armored infantry, paratroop, and engineer BG

So if an allied infantry BG meets

Axis infantry, paratroop or Engnerr it will make a plan of all out attack

Axis recon, armor, and armored infantry it will conduct a limited attack

All are 0's to get them as aggressive as possible

+5 is the way to go

Unless there is a date/day date section then all setting are for the duration of the campaign.
We hope we can change this to daily attributes so that the Axis can attack and then progessively change to a defensive posture (in WaR)

Score

1st number is the 1st turn of the 1st day

2nd number is the 2nd turn of the 1st day

and so on down the list

It is the expected Axis result at the end of each turn

2% axis v 98% allied.

If the Axis achieves better than this it will become more aggressive below and it will become more cautious.

Same for the allies if they achieve above 98% they will become more aggressive etc.
ImageImage
Platoon_Michael

If the Axis achieves better than this it will become more aggressive below and it will become more cautious.
So even if you have evrything set at High for attacking the end result of a Battle has an effect on the next Battle?
I do hope you can change the BG Leaders attributes,it would provide a boost to the game.
Thinking out load I wonder if having different soldier,weapon files for each setting would be a someday option?

As I understand it changing the settings just allows the player to have more or less in his force pool?
Andrew Williams

It can mean more or less or different.

it just depends on how you have structured your forcepool.

For instance it could just mean that increasing the difficulty means the same teams are available but experience and morale are increased for the AI and decreased for the Human yet the teams otherwise look the same.

it could also mean your soldiers are better/poorer shots

It could mean that each team is bigger or smaller

it could mean you have a completely different set of teams to work with.

Or a combination of all of the above.

The system is very flexible... but with that comes a little complexity.. ie you have to be able to read and understand relationships within a large spreatsheet/Lookup tables.
ImageImage
Platoon_Michael

From this thread in tLD forums
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2113127
It states that the Soldier limit is at an astonishing 32,767
But what is the max limit to the Teams file and what is the max limit to the FPool
In Senior.Drills WAR Data Workbook Corrections he states to…..
Delete all data and formats of the FPool spreadsheet after column AP.
(CC5 format and information erroneously included in the workbook.
Not used or recognized by CC4 WaR.)
Andrew Williams

Ap is the final column that is recognized... correct.
ImageImage

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”