Detailed Battles

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

pjwheeling

Detailed Battles

Post by pjwheeling »

First time posting, long time reader of posts. I have been playing FOF for about a week and am loving it. I am struggling a bit in the Detailed Battles and have a question. I know that I can change the facing of my brigades by right clicking on the adjacent hex in the direction I want them to turn. However, when they are ingaged in battle with an enemy in an adjacent hex and my facing is wrong I can't seem to make them turn to face the enemy. So they get crushed every turn. Am I doing something wrong or is this because of ZOC or because I'm getting flanked ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This forum is great. i have learned so much by just reading posts.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
marcbarker

RE: Detailed Battles

Post by marcbarker »

Whew Tough One....I never had a facing Issue but I got outflanked alot...and usually got creamed
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Perhaps your units' lack the movement points to change facing in a Yellow or Red movement zone?  Also make sure that you right click on an empty hex any where in the desired direction; one where there is no enemy unit and in a big battle that might be some hexes away.  Getting the Line Marching and Wheel Training upgrades helps a lot in when manouvering in DC as well.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Perhaps try clicking on a different hex. Sometimes for unknown reasons right-clicking works on one hex but not another.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

You must always click on an empty hex to change your unit's facing.
If you right-click on a hex containing another unit, be it enemy or friendly, you will get a pop-up with info on that unit instead of changing facing for your selected unit.
You do not have to right-click on an adjacent hex to change facing - any hex on the map will do as long as it is empty.
If you do not have enough movement points to change facing, a text message will appear in big white letters stating this.

EDIT: Just saw that Randomizer pretty much said all this two posts ago...!
regards,

Briny
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

That's what it was. Thanks alot guys. I did a couple of battles last night and they went much better.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

They way they did the detailed battles is very cool, I like the artillery effects.......I do have a question though....Why is when a artillery unit fires at an infantry unit 5 or 6 hexes away the artillery unit still has casualties from direct fire when the infantry unit has moskets
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: barker

They way they did the detailed battles is very cool, I like the artillery effects.......I do have a question though....Why is when a artillery unit fires at an infantry unit 5 or 6 hexes away the artillery unit still has casualties from direct fire when the infantry unit has moskets

If you turn on battle report I guess you will see that the brigade you are firing on has the brigade artillery upgrade.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”