siege relief not working right?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

ndrose

siege relief not working right?

Post by ndrose »

I posted this over at the bug tracker, but the admins were unable to reproduce it. (There are a couple of savefiles there for anyone who wants to try.) I wondered if anyone else has seen it, since I've come across it a number of times. The situation seems to be that if you relieve a siege witha single corps, no battle occurs until the following month; but with multiple corps, it works normally. (This seems to be the case whether the attempt is made by human or AI--I've seen it both ways.)

A series of illustrative screenshots to follow.
ndrose

RE: siege relief not working right?

Post by ndrose »

France (human) at war with Prussia (AI). Prussia is besieging Frankfurt.

Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (481.49 KiB) Viewed 93 times
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

I move Massena in to relieve the siege. (The usual "relieve siege?" message appears, and the Prussian corps moves out to the rural area as if for combat, but at the end of the phase, Frankfurt still has to forage.)

Attachments
Clipboard05.jpg
Clipboard05.jpg (483.73 KiB) Viewed 93 times
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

Then during land combat, nothing happens. Note "no more battles" message.

Attachments
Clipboard06.jpg
Clipboard06.jpg (486.2 KiB) Viewed 93 times
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

Nothing happens during Prussia's land phase either. In the following diplomacy phase, there they still are, occupying the same space at the same time.

Attachments
Clipboard07.jpg
Clipboard07.jpg (482.41 KiB) Viewed 93 times
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

However, what if I move two corps in? Then, the garrison does not have to forage.

Attachments
Clipboard08.jpg
Clipboard08.jpg (491.65 KiB) Viewed 93 times
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

And in the land combat phase, presto!

Attachments
Clipboard09.jpg
Clipboard09.jpg (257.12 KiB) Viewed 93 times
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

Yeah, nobody in the test team has been able to duplicate this. It's weird. Obviously it's a serious bug if anyone else can get it to occur.

I'll try again with fresh games later tonight on the 1.03 and 1.04 test betas and we will see what we come up with but if anyone else here can duplicate this it'd be good to know.

Issues 215 and 216 in Mantis.
--
Del
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

ndrose: This is 1806, 12 months into the game, France is human and Prussia is AI, and France has nothing more than its original starting areas in Germany. What did you go through to set this up?
--
Del
Dancing Bear

Post by Dancing Bear »

Del while you are at it, can you look at the difficulty of getting garrisons dropped by an army advancing into enemy territory to stay in the city. They tend to get booted into the "besieging city" unit box at the end of the diplomacy phase (and then crushed in a field combat).
ndrose

Post by ndrose »

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

ndrose: This is 1806, 12 months into the game, France is human and Prussia is AI, and France has nothing more than its original starting areas in Germany. What did you go through to set this up?

Well, I did take a *couple* of little German states. But yeah. I like to try different things to goad the AI. In this case, I spent 1805 invading Spain and messing around in Africa, hoping Austria and Prussia would take the opportunity to stab me in the back. I even spent as long as possible in Spain, setting myself the rule that I couldn't attack Madrid until I had garrisoned all the provinces.

Prussia did finally DOW, but not until my army was back from Spain. Very gentlemanly. The AI has improved a good bit tactically; I look forward to Marshall teaching it to seize strategic opportunities.

Until then, I guess I could try declaring against Austria and Prussia myself while my army is in Spain, and see if they can get to Paris before I get back.

Return to “Tech Support”