Question on Truck & Horse.

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

dkong

Question on Truck & Horse.

Post by dkong »

Being new to the game, I have a couple of questions about the use of Truck & Horse. What are their purposes? At first I thought Truck are used to carry supplies, but not sure if this is the case, pls help to clarify.

And then I read on another post someone said:

...."there are some trucks in the OKW you can use to increase mobilization. "

...."the horses are just to mobilize the art (artillery?)"

So my second question is, how can truck be loaded with infantry to increase their mobilization? And how can a horse mobilize artillery? There doesn't seem to be a load/offload function for these units. Pls help clarify. Thanks!

DK
Barthheart

RE: Question on Truck & Horse.

Post by Barthheart »

Trucks in an HQ unit help to manually transfer SFTypes and supplies around. So do horses, but at a lower rate. Check the stats of each to see the difference.

Trucks and horses in units with infantry SFTypes or artillery SFTypes will move farther. Trucks move even farther on roads. Horses are good for moving through mountains and swamps when there are no roads.... in fact trucks can't enter high mountains or swamps at all.

Hope that helps.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

"So my second question is, how can truck be loaded with infantry to increase their mobilization? And how can a horse mobilize artillery? There doesn't seem to be a load/offload function for these units. Pls help clarify. Thanks! "

Well you have to transport horses and trucks from the HQ (or whatever unit actually) to the unit you want to have them. So say you have a "foot" unit of 30 inf and some machineguns/ mortars. to a total of 50. Then you'd have to send 5 horses, or 3 trucks/ halftracks from the HQ to make it a unit moving by horses/ trucks/ halftracks. Note that the unit will become faster thus more suited for cutting off and encircling enemy units (remember the bonus you get from an attack from multiple angles?). In the unit description it says how much the unit can carry. (horse= 10 and truck/ halftrack = 20).
Soooo, 1 art (AT, inf gun or art.) needs ONE HORSE, and 2 art needs TWO HORSES, or ONE TRUCK and so on.

Hint. Say you have an unit equiped with trucks, but you want it to enter a swamp (which trucks can't do). Then you can transport the truck via strategic transport to a neigbouring unit, or if it's in the same hex it won't even need strategic transport.
And, if a unit becomes "foot" again, it probably has lost some trucks, horses because of combat.
Jay Doubleyou

Post by Jay Doubleyou »

Loading infantry and guns onto horses and trucks goes automatically.

The unit moves according to its slowest SFT. You can see that in the top of your unitsummary in the main screen.
Just transfer enough horses and/or trucks and then you unit can move by horse or truckspeed. See unitstatistics for carry capacity.
mcv

Post by mcv »

I'm still new to this game, but as far as I understand, trucks and horses can be used in two completely different ways: in a unit to increase the move of slower subunits (like arty) as described above, and in a HQ to provide transport capacity for transfers and strategic transfers to distant units.

The former is easy: just keep an eye on the weight of the slow units and the carry capacity of your trucks. The latter is harder and I don't quite understand everything about it yet.
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

mcv: You can look up the land transfer capabilities of the horse, truck & halftrack by looking for the stat called "LANDCAP" under Statistics1. For the generic masterfile, the truck is the best for providing landcap.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
british exil

Post by british exil »

So really my HQ should have quite a few trucks to get things moving real fast?
Only played against AI and they nearly always have foot HQ's.

Red Ball Express is what I need?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
mcv

Post by mcv »

I think so. It also depends on how many supplies the HQ has. With lots of supplies, it can't move unless it also has lots of trucks. But I don't think a HQ needs trucks to distribute its supplies to its subordinate units and HQs. But boosting its own movement is not the most important reason to have trucks in your HQ:

Trucks (and other transports?) in your HQ also help with transfers and strategic movement: you can move more/bigger units over longer distances. Trucks are pretty east there, and cargo ships work similarly except on sea, but you need a lot of them for strategic movement across seas because distances tend to be bigger, and I have no experience with transfers across seas. And I've noticed that an HQ with only cargo ships sometimes refuses to move, and I have no idea why.

Transport planes are still a complete mystery to me. I get the impression they're only really useful for paradrops.
Ande

Post by Ande »

If I rememered airsupply correctly, it is similar to transfering supplies to one hq to another by road, but you use transports and you target a unit, or is it all units ine the area of the drop?
british exil

Post by british exil »

I think all units in the hex benefit from air supplies. Altough if the units are too big eg motorized then they will not be getting enough supplies. You've got to build a very big air transport fleet.

You've got to get those units out or get others other friendly units in, otherwise you're going to have yourself your own Stalingrad.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”