Major Problem with WaW, all versions.

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

JAMiAM

Major Problem with WaW, all versions.

Post by JAMiAM »

Hi,

I just discovered that there is a major problem with the way the event governing the declaration of war against Vichy France is handled. The event lines that join the areas has the final field set to destroy the units that occupy the hexes that are within the area to be assigned to the Germans/West. I just had a game where I declared war on Vichy as the Germans, invaded French North Africa, and Syria, moved over 1000 power points into the areas, and then found out that they had all disappeared the next turn when I opened the game file. I lost two HQ's, about 20 planes, about 100 engineers, 4 Lt Tanks, and an assortment of various infantry, support and transportation assets.

Don't let this happen to you, if you are playing ANY current or past versions of WaW. Hopefully, Tom fixes this in future versions.

I am pissed beyond words, right now...[:@]
JAMiAM

RE: Major F*cking Problem with WaW, all versions.

Post by JAMiAM »

The fields in question definitely need to be set to have the units keep the hexes, so that they don't get destroyed, since it is ridiculous to assume that invading forces would be interned for any reason. Better yet, the checks need to be made at the time that the DoW is made, and the areas immediately assigned to Germany/West, instead of being an early turn check.
von altair

Post by von altair »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

The fields in question definitely need to be set to have the units keep the hexes, so that they don't get destroyed, since it is ridiculous to assume that invading forces would be interned for any reason. Better yet, the checks need to be made at the time that the DoW is made, and the areas immediately assigned to Germany/West, instead of being an early turn check.

Good spotting. Quite strange that nobody noticed that before. If I remember right, there was also some problems with events if Germans attacked in France without blitz card? Could someone please describe a problem and all of these things can be fixed at the same time?
"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna
zook08

Post by zook08 »

I'm playing West in a more or less recent version (v32?) and the Germans didn't use the Blitz card, but then declared Vichy. I didn't receive the Allied Minors in my next turn.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: zook08

I'm playing West in a more or less recent version (v32?) and the Germans didn't use the Blitz card, but then declared Vichy. I didn't receive the Allied Minors in my next turn.
This is (arguably) a semi-realistic result. It could be said that if the Germans had invaded through the Maginot, and conquered France, then the Benelux countries would have folded under diplomatic pressure, or the threat of invasion.
tweber

Post by tweber »

I originally switched the territory with a join area since I wanted to give Japan Indochina.  It would have been better to do a join area for Japan and a join regime exec for the rest.  Sorry about that.  I will update.
JAMiAM

RE: Major Problem with WaW, all versions.

Post by JAMiAM »

Sorry for the tone of my post yesterday, and the title. I was pretty pissed off at the time. I was on a roll in a game against an upcoming player, running a "Rommel Fantasy" campaign, moving into India through Iraq, and was ready to make the final squeeze on Gibraltar. So, I decided to take out Vichy France, since then I could hopefully destroy the French Fleet at Gibraltar, or scare it away since it had been reduced to the last hundred or so structural points and was worthless as an air/naval base. So, I landed an HQ in FNA, right next to Gibraltar, took Oran and Algiers, transferred and flew into Oran a bunch of air, started building a road into Tunisia with engineers, used the Rommel HQ to take Mosul, some forces from Turkey and Palestine to clear the coast road, and some more panzers to sweep into and paint hexes in Syria. Finally, some forces took Marseilles and the road down the Loire valley. Everything was going like clockwork...until I opened the next turn and discovered that everything in FNA, and Syria had disappeared.

If you're playing any current or past versions, here is what is "safe" for you to do:

If you are the Western Allies, you can invade Syria and FNA. Since the event grants those territories to you, your forces will not be destroyed there. However, do NOT invade Metropolitan France. You can safely move into Metropolitan France only on the following turn.

If you are the Germans, you can invade Metropolitan France. Since the event grants that area to you, your forces will not be destroyed there. However, do NOT invade FNA or Syria. You can safely move into FNA and Syria, only on the following turn.

Hope this helps others avoid my heartache...[;)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”