Earthquake!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

RedArgo

Earthquake!

Post by RedArgo »

I was awakened this morning at 4:30 with my house shaking. At first I thought it was the kids or dog or wife jumping on the bed, but the whole house was shaking. That is a little much for even my boys.

It was only a 5.2 about 200 miles south of where I live in central Illinois, but this is a rare event for us. I suppose those of you in California wouldn't have even noticed.

No damage that I know of, but IDOT is out checking all the bridges today.

Bill
sol_invictus

RE: Earthquake!

Post by sol_invictus »

I'm in Ky and I was awoken by a distant rumbling. It sounded like a very distant explosion or thunder. Last time that happened was back in the late 70's.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Good to hear you are OK, Red. 5.2 is respectable. New Madrid fault perhaps? I have been through a lot of earthquakes. As the Richter scale is a measure of the energy released from the entire quake, they have started reporting "peak ground acceleration" and even a measure of subjective quake intensity as reported by people living in the area. When you have a large reporting population it is amazingly accurate to pinpoint where the ground moved the most.

Quakes are scary things. That "wasn't I just over there" feeling is very odd. It is also fun to listen to the fasteners squeaking and window glass grinding in a wood frame house.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

There have been min-quakes off the Oregon coast for the last few weeks as well.

panzers

Post by panzers »

Not to alarm anyone here, but there is a very dangerous fault line out there. Not quite like the San Andreas, but it is significant enough to level the midwest. The main differece beteween the two is the the middle of the country is not going to split in two. The same cannot be said for the wastern part of California
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Yeah, it is just a matter of time before New Madrid really grinds.[X(]
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

New Madrid falut zone
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Until you've been trough a couple of 7's and a bakers dozen of 5's, I'll refuse to be impressed.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

I was awakened this morning at 4:30 with my house shaking. At first I thought it was the kids or dog or wife jumping on the bed, but the whole house was shaking. That is a little much for even my boys.

It was only a 5.2 about 200 miles south of where I live in central Illinois, but this is a rare event for us. I suppose those of you in California wouldn't have even noticed.

No damage that I know of, but IDOT is out checking all the bridges today.

Bill

Before moving to the west coast 14yo. I lived in Illinois. Back in the mid-late 70's I was in Central Illiois (between Springfield - Bloomington - Champaign and we had a quake. I was stunned. I actually thought my house had started sinking into an abandoned mine sinkhole or somthing.

So I can appreicate your surprise.

(I saw news reports as well this morning )

If I recall, in the early 1800's the new Madrid went and actually reversed the flow of the Mississippi for a while.

Rick
Grell

Post by Grell »

Wow, I never knew there were quakes in that area. Jeez.

Regards,

Greg
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Shake intensity map..looks like peak acceleration was about .1 g and peak velocity about 10 cm/s

panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Until you've been trough a couple of 7's and a bakers dozen of 5's, I'll refuse to be impressed.
Just hopw we see your face in 25 years Jeff.
Knuckles_85

Post by Knuckles_85 »

I live in WI and felt it. At first I thought it was a thunderstorm. Then my floor started vibrating like the furnace had kicked on. I didn't know it was a quake til I saw it on the news.
Me: God that guy is annoying

Co-worker: What would Jesus do?

Me: I don't know set him on fire and send him to hell?
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Felt it [X(]

I was in the barn turning out the horses at the time, strange feeling kind of like distant ordnance . Horses seemed a little flaky for a bit but nothing like a approaching funnel cloud .

Always fascinates me how animals react moments before danger . Over the years I have become quit the weatherman noting livestock’s demeanor.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

we had a 5.2 earthquake in little ol' england in February this year. The biggest for 25 years and the only earthquake that I have felt. Brother lives in california and laughs in the face of danger [8|]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

we had a 5.2 earthquake in little ol' england in February this year. The biggest for 25 years and the only earthquake that I have felt. Brother lives in california and laughs in the face of danger [8|]

Snoresville week in California [:D]

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: Rick

If I recall, in the early 1800's the new Madrid went and actually reversed the flow of the Mississippi for a while.

Rick
You are quite right Rick. Everyone thinks the San Andreas fault here in California is the big one, but the New Madrid fault is much larger and potentially deadlier. Just like the San Andreas, the New Madrid fault will eventually let loose and Memphis, among other cities, will disappear. The New Madrid quake back in the early 1800's (some time around 1830) was the largest earthquake ever recorded in US history. There is also a large fault line near New York city. Don't even get me started on that super culdera under Yellowstone Park. Pretty spooky when you think about it.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

ORIGINAL: Rick

Rick
You are quite right Rick. Everyone thinks the San Andreas fault here in California is the big one, but the New Madrid fault is much larger and potentially deadlier. Just like the San Andreas, the New Madrid fault will eventually let loose and Memphis, among other cities, will disappear. The New Madrid quake back in the early 1800's (some time around 1830) was the largest earthquake ever recorded in US history. There is also a large fault line near New York city. Don't even get me started on that super culdera under Yellowstone Park. Pretty spooky when you think about it.

Relax...when half the state of Wyoming turns into a stratospheric ash cloud..we will still have FEMA. [;)]
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

The only other quake I remember in my part of the woods was in the mid 80s. I was outside and didn't even feel it, but it apparently rattled dishes and such.

Return to “General Discussion”