anyone else about read to give up??????

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

borner

anyone else about read to give up??????

Post by borner »

Is anyone else out there about fed up withthe gabe bugs??? Seriously, I know there was a lot of presure to get this game released, but if it was not ready, it should have been held back. In one game, French garrisons disappear,and the minors go netrual, in another, Russian corps disappear, in another, Turkey declares on Austria, but then in the land phase, no war exists, in another, GB's fleets cannot sail to break a blockade. I feel so cheated having spent full price on a game that is not playable. If someone from Matrix is reading this, can you please give us an update on when a playable verison of this game will be released, and can those of us that bought the first verison get an updated CD with a workable game???? IO am sorry for being so upset, but it's very fustrating to put in the time every evening with 6 other players, and have things like this happen.
Erik Rutins

RE: anyone else about read to give up??????

Post by Erik Rutins »

Borner,

I'm very sorry that you've been having such trouble with EIA. All I can say is that we're working with Marshall to resolve all reported issues as quickly as we can and we will continue to do that until they're fixed.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Dave_T

Post by Dave_T »

I am and have. Every "patch" causes more bugs which we, as paying customers, are asked to find & report. I've asked for a refund, but my request has been ignored and, as far as I can tell, the email hasn't even been read.

This is the last time I buy a game as an online download, next time it will be from a hish street shop as you can take it back & ask for a refund directly rather than hoping someone reads the email you sent.

The treament we get as customers, as in "a patch will be available soon/tomorrow/end of week" which never happens, is disgusting.

Matrix have clearly decided that recouping some of the money spent on the development of this game needed to be recouped and resulted in the release of a product which clearly was not ready and, IMHO, was not fit for purpose when realeased and did not, IMHO, even meet the invitation to treat set out on the website.
The time has come for you to choose, you'd better get it right. Berlin girls with sharp white teeth are waiting in the night.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

resulted in the release of a product which clearly was not ready

Dave_T, the concensus of EiA players interested in this game WANTED to have it released early, warts and all. Everyone here fully understood there were still some bugs and issues to resolve, an editor and other scenarios to release later, the AI to update over time, etc. These shortcomings were also addressed in game reviews. Perhaps you missed all that. Matrix and the developer have fully acknowledged these known shortcomings and are committed to resolving them.

Most of us have been waiting for over 5 years for this game and are willing to help work through the issues. A few more months isn't going to make much difference. My friendly suggestion to you and others unwilling to help would be to just set the game aside for a little while and come back later after a couple of official patches (not the beta patches) are released. [:)]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Dave_T

Post by Dave_T »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr
resulted in the release of a product which clearly was not ready

Dave_T, the concensus of EiA players interested in this game WANTED to have it released early, warts and all. Everyone here fully understood there were still some bugs and issues to resolve, an editor and other scenarios to release later, the AI to update over time, etc. These shortcomings were also addressed in game reviews. Perhaps you missed all that. Matrix and the developer have fully acknowledged these known shortcomings and are committed to resolving them.

Most of us have been waiting for over 5 years for this game and are willing to help work through the issues. A few more months isn't going to make much difference. My friendly suggestion to you and others unwilling to help would be to just set the game aside for a little while and come back later after a couple of official patches (not the beta patches) are released. [:)]

Read the advertising for the game, legally known as an invitation to treat. At no point does it say this game is still in development and is sold as a fully developed product, not as a product in development. This is misleading advertising.

Due to my financial situation, working in the voluntary sector, the $70 spent on this game is a major investment, not just soemthing I want to set aside for when/if it is ever finished.

I, too, have been waiting 5 years for this to be released, being a 15 year EiA veteran, and feel abused at being misled by the advetising for a finished product both through the advertising on this website abd the post on the EiA forums saying this game was finally releaed in December.

Because you were happy to buy a game still in development doesn't mean that we, who think we were conned into buying a finished product, should be happy.

Even more, after emailing support and Erik directly asking for a refund I don't even get an acknowledgment of receipt of complaint, never mind a polite refusal.

If this product worked, then yes it's worth $70. As it is it is not worth anything as it not fit for the purpose sold. I an quite easily carry on using cyberboard ($free) & notepad ($free with O/S), as I have for the last 10 years, to play EiA by email not some product that would be fitting in the catalogue of a snake oil merchant.
The time has come for you to choose, you'd better get it right. Berlin girls with sharp white teeth are waiting in the night.
ChristianKnudsen

Post by ChristianKnudsen »

Caveat Emptor, I guess.

Having said that, I think of this one as a chance to help develop a game that I have been waiting to play on the computer for ages. Will even the 'finished' product be as good as seven people playing face to face? No. Is it virtually impossible to get seven people together on a regular basis for long enough to actually play the complete board game? You bet. I understand the frustrations of those who are having enough troubles with the game to make it 'unplayable', but I like to keep the following in mind.

1. $70 or no, it's only a game.

2. Eventually, it will be 'fully playable', with different scenarios, a beefed up AI, etc. I do not see the development team just giving up on this one - they seem to be genuine fans of the game, and to enjoy actually playing it as much as we do. If one doesn't like the game as stands, shelve it for the moment and come back in six months. In the interim, I will still be enjoying playing even a flawed version, which is more EIA than my schedule permits me to get anywhere else at the moment. Demanding one's money back at this point seems a bit premature if computer EIA is what you want in the long term. Look on it as a long-term investment, if you will.

3. Had the designers waited until they were really finished, we would be EIA-less for a lot longer. I think an early release, while a bit frustrating, will get us a finished product far more quickly.

In fact I wish I was more able to help the designers out and get this one perfected sooner.
Damn job and family!

Cede Nullis
Dave_T

Post by Dave_T »

Caveat Emptor, I guess.
I do not see the development team just giving up on this one

Buyer beware does not come into consideration when the product does not match the advertising.

The development team have already srated to quit, see "Mondaman"'s post.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

This release only confirmed my belief that Matrix is trying to do too many things at once. This release was imho a total disaster, in addition to all the bugs we all knew we'd see, the interface is beyond words....terrible. I put up with all the growing pains back with War In The Pacific, i couldn't play with sound etc,etc...and it took months(yes months) to get my CD copy. Patches that fixed one thing broke another etc... Tin Soldiers stopped working after awhile, people complained on the forum but it was never resolved. Supremacy CTD'ed every planetary battle even after the patch at which the game/forum died. I won't even discuss Hussar Games[:-]. That's just the tip of the iceberg, to answer your question....Yes! I'm done with this. I'm not going to say i won't ever download again but it will probably only be an SSG product, which get smaller and less meaty every release[8|], or the upcoming WITP Admirals edition which "should" be playable (amen).
I have almost every Matrix game and two copies of many of them, i am no longer willing to blindly part with my money for a company that is trying to be the Jack Of All Trades, and therefore, the Master Of None.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Dave_T

Post by Dave_T »

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

Tin Soldiers stopped working after awhile, people complained on the forum but it was never resolved. Supremacy CTD'ed every planetary battle even after the patch at which the game/forum died.

Thta's what I'm worried about, that Matrix just throw the towel in on the game leaving us customers swinging in the wind with no product for our expenditure and just move on to the next project.
borner

Post by borner »

Erik

Thank you for your thoughts. I must say that I agree with several comments here. I do not remember anywhere saying that the game was a Beta version, or still in test. I beleive Matrix gave into presure to get a product out a bit too soon. I understand that no first release is going to be perfect, but those of us paying full price for a product, have a right to expect a product that works. That being said, I do feel that the more issues, the more preusre to send out a pach before that has been tested, and thus even more issues. Minor speedbumps are to be expected, but DOw's not being processed? Whole fleets not being able to move out of port? These can ruin a game that people invest months into. I have no idea what the answers are, I just wish Matrix had been more honest.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Dave_T
Even more, after emailing support and Erik directly asking for a refund I don't even get an acknowledgment of receipt of complaint, never mind a polite refusal.

I received your e-mail today and forwarded it to Dave for a decision.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I put up with all the growing pains back with War In The Pacific, i couldn't play with sound etc,etc...and it took months(yes months) to get my CD copy. Patches that fixed one thing broke another etc...

Are you claiming that war in the Pacific is unplayable?
Tin Soldiers stopped working after awhile, people complained on the forum but it was never resolved.

It works fine (both Alexander and Julius Caesar) and is one of the most bug-free releases we've ever had. What problem are you experiencing?
Supremacy CTD'ed every planetary battle even after the patch at which the game/forum died.

FWIW, I don't recall it CTDing every time, but in any case the issue there was that the developer stopped working with us on it. As far as I know it was playable from the first release though, I recall getting through multiple planetary battles during pre-release testing.
I won't even discuss Hussar Games[:-]. That's just the tip of the iceberg, to answer your question....

Please do. Honestly, I feel like you've cherry picked and even so most of your examples don't make sense to me, having played the games myself. It's hard for me to believe this is the tip of any iceberg.
I have almost every Matrix game and two copies of many of them, i am no longer willing to blindly part with my money for a company that is trying to be the Jack Of All Trades, and therefore, the Master Of None.

I think the most fair thing to say is that initial releas quality does vary with some being more buggy than others. In all cases, we try to make sure any reported issues are resolved ASAP. We may have made the wrong decision on the timing of the release of EIA. We went along with recommendations received from several quarters regarding the readiness of the game and we're not happy that some customers view it several months post-release as being a mess.

We will continue to work with Marshall and give him all the support we can to get EIA up to your expectations. I can't really say more than that we are not dropping anything, we are still working on it and will conitnue to do so. I think a fair assessment of our past support on our titles will actually show that we generally go above and beyond in post-release support to try to ensure customer satisfaction.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: borner
Minor speedbumps are to be expected, but DOw's not being processed? Whole fleets not being able to move out of port? These can ruin a game that people invest months into. I have no idea what the answers are, I just wish Matrix had been more honest.

If we had realized such serious issues existed, we would not have released the game without more work. Honestly.

I have to say that the pre-release feedback and the experiences of our own staff who tested it as well as the staff at ADG was not "this is a disaster" but rather "it's ready to go" and I'm not sure why there is such a disconnect between their experiences and those of some members of this community. Our goal is to continue development post-release until all issues that can be resolved are resolved.

What do you feel are the most serious outstanding unfixed issues as of the latest public beta?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I put up with all the growing pains back with War In The Pacific, i couldn't play with sound etc,etc...and it took months(yes months) to get my CD copy. Patches that fixed one thing broke another etc...

A)Are you claiming that war in the Pacific is unplayable?
Tin Soldiers stopped working after awhile, people complained on the forum but it was never resolved.

B)It works fine (both Alexander and Julius Caesar) and is one of the most bug-free releases we've ever had. What problem are you experiencing?
Supremacy CTD'ed every planetary battle even after the patch at which the game/forum died.

C)FWIW, I don't recall it CTDing every time, but in any case the issue there was that the developer stopped working with us on it. As far as I know it was playable from the first release though, I recall getting through multiple planetary battles during pre-release testing.
I won't even discuss Hussar Games[:-]. That's just the tip of the iceberg, to answer your question....

D)Please do. Honestly, I feel like you've cherry picked and even so most of your examples don't make sense to me, having played the games myself. It's hard for me to believe this is the tip of any iceberg.

Regards,

- Erik
Dear Sir, Points:
A)Not at all, unlike some who claim you guys "ruined" Witp with too many patches i personally think you guys did a great job following up with this monster. Of course, you had less eggs in the frying pan[;)].

B)There was an issue that a few users reported re: ctd's/freeze after a long period of playtime. I got to that point and experienced it as well and never saw any solution on the support forum. A few frustrated users kept brining it up to no avail. It was a long time ago and that game vanished some 2 PC's ago so it's a vague memory.

C)You don't recall it CTD'ing "every" time says enough[;)]...it might have had two non CTD's in a row[X(]...dev's split/enough said.

D) We went thru this on their forum and it shouldn't waste space here...they are another example imho of a "flighty"(used this word before) developer who made careless mistakes.

I did "cherry pick" what were some of the worst experiences i've had in the past , i'm not like some other fellow who's out to "get even"[:'(], and i wanted to show examples of how a longtime follower can lose his faith. There was a time when i jumped on every release, when you guys released Battlefront there was much
speculation/hinting/assumption that there would be more scenarios like its predecessors. Another example was the release of Close Combat:Modern Tactics....no campaign? I didn't buy that one so i can't complain, i am merely showing my dissappointment to the OP re: this whole EiA mess and how it is just getting old[8|]. I have made many friends here over the years and i know i'm not just speaking for myself. The general consensus among us "select few", if you will, is that you guys have spread yourselves too thin and its taking its toll imo with your ability to support/prepare for current and future releases of which many are improved re-iterations of past games.

P.S. Oh, and let me add that i didn't mention the part about "dropping" anything, i imagine you, if possible, will eventually get it in decent shape...i...hope.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Gravit

Post by Gravit »

While the latest patch did fix many bugs, I too feel ripped off by Matrix.  This was my first Matrix game and I picked it up while I patiently waited for Worlds in Flame because I read the advertisement and thought that this was a finished product.  The initial release clearly wasn't a finished product.

What I find disturbing is how pzngdr who claims that the game was knowingly released prematurely to appease grognards (and by definition falesly advertised as a finished product) and then Matrix claiming that the product was tested.  So which is true? 

Add in posts from other threads that playtesters admit to not having done much on testing.

I'm concerned that this will never have a playable AI and feel ripped off.  While fanboyz may enjoy playing this game, paying customers really should be given some opportunity of a refund, or at the very least, perhaps in the form of a download of a game we can actully play until or if Matrix ever gets this thing fully playable.

Also, Matrix really should post a note indicating that the AI is only for training purposes and multi player games will be required at this point in time for a challening game.  Do that, and those of us without opponents wouldn't feel ripped off.
Gravit

Post by Gravit »

That admission of non-challenging AI should be placed as a warning label both on the product and in all advertisements, imho, until this gets playable.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hello

I do not feel the game is unplayable and many gamers are playing it.  At the same time I also do understand there are some items that need fixing and/or adjusting.  Marshall and Matrix are dedicated to improving the game and our history of working with our community more then proves this.  Marshall and myself will be talking to work out addressing some of these issues quicker to make the game more stable for those players having problems.  For the record this game was played and tested not only by us but also ADG and we felt it it was stable for release.  For some gamers this has not been the case and we are working on correcting that.  We are are also putting more checks into our beta patches to avoid the issues that have happened in the past.  Please remember that a beta version is NOT a fully tested patch.

David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Gravit

I can not find were Matrix ever said this was a pre-release version and if someone did they were wrong.  What is my understanding is that many posters here asked us to make a pre-release version.  We did feel this was a good release and did not expect as many problems as were found.  Since its release more issues have come up then I would have liked and we will address them.  The AI for this is also going to be harder to handle because its was designed from a board game and not the computer from the ground up.  Upon release some customers enjoyed the game and some did not and after some time others learned more about the AI. 

I am sorry you feel ripped off and this is not the result we want.  But in this case we need more time to address these issues.  We are not letting this drop and addressing the problems.  

NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

I've played multiple games against the AI. I have had almost no issues with the game thus far, BUT I played the board game. It would be interesting to see if users without EiA experience are suffering more issues than users with. I think that might speak to the coding (error checking) in the sense that maybe it was coded with an experienced EiA user in mind.

That said, although $70 is a lot for a PC game, it's not like it's much more than other PC games that go for around ~$50 that have the same problems. I have not experienced any problems with EiANW that I have not experienced with any other PC game that I have played, whether it be Strategy, Tactical, FPS, RTS, etc, etc...

That is why they make patches. Shit, you really don't need to look beyond Microsoft to see this pattern of modern software. Personally, I don't really have a problem with it so long as support is not cut-off prematurely.
Tanan Fujiwara

Post by Tanan Fujiwara »

Is it really just me or has the world gone mad...[&:][&:][&:]

I believe that if you pay 70$ for a game, a price above your average PC game, it's because the product you're getting is above average too...[:(][:(][:(]

But forget about the money, which is not really the issue, and lets focus on threethings that are really schocking to me:

1º if the excuse behind the many bugs and braindead AI is that other games and companies experience the same problem on release, it's a preatty bad excuse... come on, it just sounds like "since everybody isn't profesional so are we"??...

2º the game came out like the perfect simulation of the original EiA strategy game, which it isn't. Many of the optional rules are absent, map and corp changes, some rules have been redisigned, many rules from EiH (why is the game called EiA is a guess to me), etc..

3º if the game is supposed to be ment as the ultimate multiplayer tool (without the optionals and the scenarios amongst other things is way to limited), since the AI is compleately braindead, then it too fails to live up to its expectations. I'm right now playing three campaigns, two of them with cyberboard, and both of them move at a faster pace then the one played with this game...

so forget the 70$ issue, forget that matrix games has released something that could have been a great game and that now will take months, maybe years to fix and probably it will still be limited in many aspects, forget many desilusionated fans of the game, forget the bugs, forget...

I don't now to you guys, but it seems an awfull lot of forgetting to me...[:@][:@][:@]

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”