New Medieval Game from Matrix

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

PunkReaper

New Medieval Game from Matrix

Post by PunkReaper »

Since there has been an outpouring of emotion about the need for a new turn based Medieval/fantasy game from Matrix in numerous threads I thought I would bring the campaign into one thread. Lets stand up in our armour and raise our magical swords and say enough WW2, enough Civil War, enough Napoleonics, let this be the year of the knight, the castle siege and if we have to, of the elf..... Come on Matrix cross the drawbridge, you know you want to!
Goblin

RE: New Medieval Game from Matrix

Post by Goblin »

Seconded! [8D]

Goblin
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I'm all for it. Doesn't have to be fantasy even. How about - Tin Soldiers: Philip the Great or TS: Joan of Arc, or Saladin, or anything not WWII!

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Since there has been an outpouring of emotion about the need for a new turn based Medieval/fantasy game from Matrix in numerous threads I thought I would bring the campaign into one thread. Lets stand up in our armour and raise our magical swords and say enough WW2, enough Civil War, enough Napoleonics, let this be the year of the knight, the castle siege and if we have to, of the elf..... Come on Matrix cross the drawbridge, you know you want to!

I umpteenthed if that helps any. ;) Joel's the only one I've heard say he has an active interest in doing something outside of WW2 ho hums. Gary won't do it, it has to be historical lol. KOIOS tried, but, Matrixgames foiled that line of games that I thought I saw coming out of them after Tin Soldiers:Caesar. I find it hard to believe with the high selling game like RTW that ancients aren't popular according to Erik et al. If done right they damn sure are popular. :) Would still like to see Gil and company do one like they did the civil war one. Hopefully one day they'll get to do at least one.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Erik are you listening to the cries of the multitude? Put away your AK47 and pick up your sword. Your audience is screaming out for something different, dont hide in your concrete re-inforced bunker, climb the castle towers, raise that banner and produce the game we all want!!!
Grell

Post by Grell »

Hehe, yeah a god medieval game would be nice.

Regards,

Grell
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

How about a remake of Kingmaker then? Superb boardgame so so adaption.
Well no, not a remake but a game resembling Kingmaker ;).

How about Medieval Kingdoms,that old SSI game?
Or maybe it was Medieaval Lords, forgot the exact name but it was
the best attempt until Lords of the Real arrived, then CK.

A game combining the best of those three would be a winner :).
Deus Vult.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

While you're waiting, there are plenty of medieval scenarios in Civ2:

The latest one:

MEDIUM ÆVUM

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.p ... did=173775

AN EXCELLENT REVIEW OF ALL CIV 2 MEDIEVAL SCENARIOS:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.p ... did=172392

Attachments
Mediumunits.gif
Mediumunits.gif (71.56 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Civ II is old I want something NEW ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Problem with all those scenarios (including CivIV), is that they end up being
a generic approach to this era.

Where is the Heraldry and Nobility? The marriages, the Plagues, Religion etc.

Let's face it. Best game would be something that combines
Lords of the Realms(using MTw2 graphics for battles prefably) and CK obviously.

Maybe Rise of the West also?

What was the name of that old SSI game I talked about? It had a very complicated menu system.

Btw. Did anyone see the latest pictures from Paradox Rome game? They finally got that
engine to look good. Now they HAVE to make CK2 :).
Deus Vult.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

But, I want a turn based wild west game also. Like Avalon Hills "Gunfight" I think it were. That was pretty kewl game.

Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Civ II is old I want something NEW ;)

I absolutely agree :)

However, for some reason those NEW turn-based epic Roman and medieval games are nowhere to be seen [&:]
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

I agree with Ravinhood, something new is needed. The old Kingmaker game had the look and feel of the time but with old game mechanics. Newer boardgames such as Warrior Knights and George RR Martin's Game of Thrones have brought new improved mechanics so a combination of these games would be great.
I think Civ 2 and Civ 4 are good games in their own right but are no substitution for a proper medieval game.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

The combat system in Lords of Realm II remains the most realistic
portrayal of Medieaval combat in my book. Sure, MTW2 looks stunning but it still feels very generic.
If one could have a similar graphics engine but use the mechanics from Lords of the Realm II then one would
have the perfect combination.

Btw. Don't forget Knights of Honor, it had some interesting ideas, not quite unlike Seven Kingdoms(even better system in fact). IE, the way
you could "plant" spies in other players armies etc. This is the sort of thing to spice up gameplay in my book.
Deus Vult.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

So. Here is a simple recipy for a succesful game.

1 tea spoon of MTW2 graphics
3 spoons game mechanics from Lords of the Realm II
1 Jug of ideas from Crusader Kings.
3 oz of ideas from Seven Kingdoms.
3 oz ideas from Knights of Honor.
Powder with random ideas from good boardgames like Kingmaker etc.

Mix and stir, cook for about 1.5 years, making the perfect Medieaval Game [:D]

Deus Vult.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Why do I have visions of David and Erik sitting in their offices reading this and LAUGHING AT US? ;)

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Cos they can't cook?
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Also there has been total silence from Erik and David which isn't a good sign..... more WW2, Civil War (only American as they appear to be the only ones who had a civil war) or Napoleonics this year then?
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

My ideal game: medieval / fantasy turn based tactical game with strategic elements. Tactical battles should be at regiment level (like warhammer) with formation and morale taken into account.
Isometric 2d graphics (with hexes like HPS Punic wars???) would the best for me, no 3d plz, it's easy to get confused with 3d battlefield and units (but they're really nice to see).
Anyone else interested :) ?

PS
This game could have a Fantasy setting (with magic&mages, elves, dwarves and so on...) and a historical medieval one. Each setting and armies could be loaded from separate data files. It could attract the (large) warhammer community that
do not have on their PCs anything similar to their miniature game (warhammer and W40k themed PC games are RTS). I think there could be a market for a similar game...
PPS
Hope to explain my thoughts, sorry for my english :(

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

much much better than my Italian.

Return to “General Discussion”