transferring games to new computer (follow up question)

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
fcam1387

transferring games to new computer (follow up question)

Post by fcam1387 »

My 3 year old notebook is begining to fall apart and I am thinking about getting a new computer.

How easy is it to transfer my matrix games (WITP and Forge of Freedom and World at War) onto a new system... Is it just a matter of hooking up a LAN cable and basically copy and pasting the files onto the other system or will I have to reinstall all the programs and re-download the updates.

Also, how does the equation change if my current notebook has XP and my new one has Vista?

Thanks.
Terminus

RE: transferring games to new computer

Post by Terminus »

You just reinstall.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

You need to reinstall them onto the new system and patch them up, then copy over any save files, scenarios or custom mods you want to keep. If you just copy the folders over, they won't work as the registry settings will not copy over with them.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
fcam1387

Post by fcam1387 »

So I can just hook up a LAN and copy the installation files onto the new computer and then just install from there??? Or do I have to redownload.

Will different operating systems (XP to Vista) affect any of this?

Sorry to drag this on, but I'm just trying to clarrify this.

Thanks
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: fcam1387
So I can just hook up a LAN and copy the installation files onto the new computer and then just install from there???

Yup - or put them on a USB stick, or burn them to a DVD, or put them on the LAN. Short : if you can access the installation files from your new computer, you can install the games.
Will different operating systems (XP to Vista) affect any of this?

Check the respective forums for oddities regarding Vista - some games require some specific action to get them up and running, but they're minor things.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
fcam1387

Post by fcam1387 »

Will I be able to continue my old pbem games on the new machine? (I'm computer illiterate)
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

Will I be able to continue my old pbem games on the new machine? (I'm computer illiterate)

Sure, provided

1) you copy over the savegames too
2) you patch the game on the new machine to the same version as the one on your original machine

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”