The Battle of the Bulge

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Peter Fisla

The Battle of the Bulge

Post by Peter Fisla »

Yesterday it was snowing like crazy here in Toronto/Canada. Visibility was low...it felt like beginning of the Battle of the Bulge! And it took me a while to realize that yesterday was December 16th! So I took out my SSG classic - The Ardennes Offensive 2.4 and played whole day on my computer. I had a blast...I love that game even though I prefer tactical wargames. For some reason I find the Korsun Pocket, BIN, BII interface a bit complicated. The TAO on the other hand, now available for free; is a blast to play.
Yogi the Great

RE: The Battle of the Bulge

Post by Yogi the Great »

One of my most played games of all time was the Avalon Hill Battle of the Bulge board game.

Since that time I purchased a number of renditions of the battle both board and computer

My guess would be that the battle may be one of the most popular and played game topics for "war gamers" at least for those that enjoy WWII games
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Yes, it's kind of poignant when it snows on that particular day. It's quite sobering really, if you stand in the freezing cold of a snowstorm and think of what happened.

Like you, I prefer the tactical games. I must have had Korsun Pocket installed six or seven times, but never managed to get to grips with it properly. I liked TAO, but it crashes too much on XP for me. I might stick Win98 on VMWare and have a play, now that you've reminded me of the game. [:)]

Regards,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

One of my most played games of all time was the Avalon Hill Battle of the Bulge board game.

Since that time I purchased a number of renditions of the battle both board and computer

My guess would be that the battle may be one of the most popular and played game topics for "war gamers" at least for those that enjoy WWII games

I'm Eastern Front type a guy; though I guess for the winter I think of the Bulge. Just recently I bought Ardennes '44 GMT Bulge game. Incredible simulation design, I fell in love with it...now I just need to find some time to play it.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

Yes, it's kind of poignant when it snows on that particular day. It's quite sobering really, if you stand in the freezing cold of a snowstorm and think of what happened.

Like you, I prefer the tactical games. I must have had Korsun Pocket installed six or seven times, but never managed to get to grips with it properly. I liked TAO, but it crashes too much on XP for me. I might stick Win98 on VMWare and have a play, now that you've reminded me of the game. [:)]

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

I'm have the TAO 2.4 source code and I have modified the code, so that it's more XP friendly. I have played the whole 64 turn campaign yesterday and German player and it didn't crush on me once...though I did save every turn just to make sure. let me know if you are interested and I can email you my modified version of the executable.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

I'm have the TAO 2.4 source code and I have modified the code, so that it's more XP friendly. I have played the whole 64 turn campaign yesterday and German player and it didn't crush on me once...though I did save every turn just to make sure. let me know if you are interested and I can email you my modified version of the executable.

Raising my hand as someone else who is mighty interested in that one

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Jim,

Hi Peter,

I've just sent you a pm. Thank you very much for the offer, that would be great [:D]

Regards,
Jim

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Give me your email and I will send it to you...

Peter
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

Jim,

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Give me your email and I will send it to you...

Peter

PM send - TIA

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

I recieved the email this morning Peter and will be having a go in a short while. Much appreciated [:D]

Regards,
Jim

Return to “General Discussion”