Yeah, the Finns Are Cool

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

Yeah, the Finns Are Cool

Post by KG Erwin »

Here's a screenshot from "Talvisota". This guy just toasted a Russkie tank with a Molotov, and is now scurrying away. "We don't need any stinkin' anti-tank guns!" Gonads of steel -- I love it [:D]

Attachments
UO0002.jpg
UO0002.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Korpraali V

RE: Yeah, the Finns Are Cool

Post by Korpraali V »

You have seen the light [;)]

[:D]

You have subtitles for Talvisota-video?
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

...and what they say on Depot about movies and reality?

You better get some books too. Recommendation goes for Unknown soldier. It's best warbook from here (or so I've been told), and movie based on that book is shown every independence day (original black & white version, though color one is nice too).

Word about AT teams with satchel charges and Molotov's Cocktails: I've read from some book (Lapin kuolemankolonnat) that some of those guys are behind MLR in digged holes. When tanks break through MLR, it's their duty to stop them on their tracks while MLR stops infantry.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

You have seen the light [;)]

You have subtitles for Talvisota-video?

The three clips that I have DO have English subtitles (thankfully).
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

You better get some books too. Recommendation goes for Unknown soldier. It's best warbook from here (or so I've been told), and movie based on that book is shown every independence day (original black & white version, though color one is nice too).

Word about AT teams with satchel charges and Molotov's Cocktails: I've read from some book (Lapin kuolemankolonnat) that some of those guys are behind MLR in digged holes. When tanks break through MLR, it's their duty to stop them on their tracks while MLR stops infantry.

I understand what you're saying, Matti. BTW, I added this site : http://www.winterwar.com/ to my favorites folder.
FlashfyreSP

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Excuse me? What I said on the Depot about movies can also be said here: movies are movies, not reality. Filmakers are not obligated to tell the actual story; they often take license with a story to increase it's entertainment value. Even books can suffer from this.

You seem to be suffering the same "hero worship" that comes from learning your history through movies, instead of legitimate works by respected authors, historians, and archivists. Documentary films from the period are one thing; watching the latest "blockbuster" and assuming it to be entirely factual is naive in the extreme. While they may encourage viewers to further explore the event, they shouldn't be used as the "definitive" record of that event.

Many war movies are shown here in the States during holiday periods; none of them are documentaries, and most of them have "played fast and loose" with the truth in order to be more "dramatic". As if there isn't drama in the actions of real soldiers...
ImageImage
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Right -- you gotta remember that John Wayne was NOT at the Alamo, but Billy Bob Thornton WAS (and he played a mean fiddle, too). Even Hollywood can't agree on what the REAL made-up story was. So, there ya go... [:'(]
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Right -- you gotta remember that John Wayne was NOT at the Alamo, but Billy Bob Thornton WAS (and he played a mean fiddle, too). Even Hollywood can't agree on what the REAL made-up story was. So, there ya go... [:'(]
LOL....good one...actually Thortons portrayal is most likely much more closer to home as to accurately portraying Crockett, than was the fantasied John Wayne version...
But I digress....
[;)]

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Alby

LOL....good one...actually Thortons portrayal is most likely much more closer to home as to accurately portraying Crockett, than was the fantasied John Wayne version...
But I digress....
[;)]

I just HAD to get a jibe in at ya, Alby, because ---

Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

The three clips that I have DO have English subtitles (thankfully).

Good for you! [:)]

Check also this site [;)]

www.jaegerplatoon.net
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Slightly off topic but did the United States declare war on Finland during WWII? I know Britain did.

Best wishes,

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Unfortunately US didn't.
SuomiKp

Post by SuomiKp »

What is so unfortunate that US didint declare war on us [&:]
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

Unfortunately US didn't.
[&:]

Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Some of the researches have said that there would have been no real action between these countries, excluding few ships being interned with their crews. That was the case with Commonwealth countries and would have been with US too. I believe that, since there would have been no interest on either side to commit any real hostilities.

BUT another thing would have been that the The Allied Control Commission (ACC) in Finland after the war from 1944 to 1947 (Paris peace treaty) would have contained more members favouring Finns over Soviet. Now ACC consisted 200 Soviet members and 15 British ones. [;)]

So, Yanks, you really could have done us a favour... [;)]

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

The poor Americans can't seem to get anything right. They're either going to war against countries that don't want to be molested or not going to war with ones that do. It's a hard life. [:D]

Incidently, UK v Finland - the only war there has even been between two democracies.

Best wishes,

SuomiKp

Post by SuomiKp »

Maybe Korpraali ment it was unfortunate that Finns didint have the pleasure to kick some USMC butt [:D]
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Luckily, I know nothing about the butts of US Marines.

Best wishes,
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

ORIGINAL: SuomiKp

Maybe Korpraali ment it was unfortunate that Finns didint have the pleasure to kick some USMC butt [:D]

Read between the lines... [;)]

[8D]
FNG

Post by FNG »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The poor Americans can't seem to get anything right. They're either going to war against countries that don't want to be molested or not going to war with ones that do. It's a hard life. [:D]

Incidently, UK v Finland - the only war there has even been between two democracies.

Best wishes,

Technically we're not a democracy - we're a constitutional monarchy [;)]
FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”