Hex layer changes after each save?

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
El_Condoro

Hex layer changes after each save?

Post by El_Condoro »

I wanted to use hex layer sprites 10-15 in the tile_sprites.png and tile_sprites_zoom.png files, so I started with making a change to sprite 15. Of course, when I opened my custom map, many hexes showed the changed sprite and so I selected sprite 1 and clicked until all the sprite 15 hexes had been changed. I then updated the AI and event scripts and saved. After the save, I saw that many hexes that had not been sprite 15 changed to it. I did this multiple times and each time different hexes changed to sprite 15.

That seems to indicate that a map will randomly select sprite tiles (1-15, which are plain hexes) when it is saved. This makes editing those sprites unworkable.

Can someone confirm this for me, please, and explain why this occurs?
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
Elessar2

RE: Hex layer changes after each save?

Post by Elessar2 »

Yes, I noticed that all of the 100% solid land units (and sea ones) randomly shift upon each save. It would appear to be a feature to avoid the annoying repetition of sprite patterns if you painted large sections of the map with the same one. You're basically stuck with all of the solid land/sea hexes as they currently are.

Down on my priority list would be a project to redraw a lot of the hybrid hexes-far too often a sea hex with some land/a land hex with some sea will have weirdly extreme shapes to the coastlines (exaggerated bays or promontories), often making it difficult to draw straight coasts in some situations.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”