map making?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
lion_of_judah

map making?

Post by lion_of_judah »

I had thought there was a program to import PNG or jpeg images of maps in order for one to make a map. Thanks
Simon Edmonds

RE: map making?

Post by Simon Edmonds »

There is a thing called hex thingy that works quite well. I can send you a copy if you like
Ratbag55

Post by Ratbag55 »

ORIGINAL: Simon Edmonds

There is a thing called hex thingy that works quite well. I can send you a copy if you like

Would you mind sending to me as well please?

Thanks!
Rescue193

Post by Rescue193 »

ORIGINAL: Simon Edmonds

Could you please add me to the list as well? Thanks.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

You may want to consider moving the EXE to a file server ( File dropper is what I use: https://www.filedropper.com/ )
and just post the link here on the forum.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Simon Edmonds

Post by Simon Edmonds »

Here is the link to where I found it in the first place
https://www.desperationmorale.com/play- ... rs-section
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

thanks for the reply. I had thought there was a OOD application that one could run and make the map that way.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
nepos2

Post by nepos2 »

Hello!

Another good program for map making is HexDraw.(www.hexdraw.com)

Regards,
Henrik

Attachments
TerrainHexdraw.jpg
TerrainHexdraw.jpg (623.15 KiB) Viewed 754 times
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

I can't believe Yves AKA Biohazard's page is still up after all these years.

From memory, ODD introduces a slight drift in the hex- and you're at the mercy of whatever one map you took as a base. If you're really serious about mapping, you'll get Bob's Latlong utility, as this plots every hex on your map as a latitude and longtitude reference which can then be used to refer to any map (and you'll want several to cover all the different elements of the map properly- I used five or six different source maps for Fall Grau). Note that Google Earth shows the co-ordinates of the mouse pointer at all times.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

He keeps hanging around. [:)]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

biddrafter2

Post by biddrafter2 »

QGIS is an interesting, and free, option. Have not experimented with old maps but there is no reason you could not georeference them and overlay a hex grid, with projection.

Attachments
20210604..tQGIS.gif
20210604..tQGIS.gif (825.24 KiB) Viewed 756 times
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Biddrafter, that looks neat. I just downloaded QGIS, but looking at some tutorials ... wow, what a learning curve.

Are you familiar with QGIS? Any chance you could write us a tutorial on how to load an external map image (say, a .jpg or .png) into QGIS, georeference the image, and overlay a hex grid?

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Wow. Nice. Now I have to learn how to get rid of the borders in the WW2 .map files and it's good to go. [8D]

Attachments
ScreenHunter03.jpg
ScreenHunter03.jpg (329.07 KiB) Viewed 756 times

nepos2

Post by nepos2 »

Hex Draw in progress...

Attachments
HexDraw Silesia 1945.jpg
HexDraw Silesia 1945.jpg (336.27 KiB) Viewed 758 times
biddrafter2

Post by biddrafter2 »

I've used QGIS a few times for personal projects but never for TOAW mapping. But it did occur to me as I was reading this thread that it might be an option... the screenshot above took less than five minutes to make because it is using the USGS current data.

If I have time this weekend I'll see if I can georef some old example maps. Although perhaps Lobster has done so in a subsequent post?
Simon Edmonds

Post by Simon Edmonds »

Does any one know if there is a .kml type file to use with "Open Topo" maps to put a hex grid over them?
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: biddrafter2

I've used QGIS a few times for personal projects but never for TOAW mapping. But it did occur to me as I was reading this thread that it might be an option... the screenshot above took less than five minutes to make because it is using the USGS current data.

If I have time this weekend I'll see if I can georef some old example maps. Although perhaps Lobster has done so in a subsequent post?

Thanks for any hints. I haven't been a total slug. I installed QGIS 3.16, and loaded a .jpg into the georeferencer. Was able to enter coordinates for several towns. But when it put the data into the main QGIS window, the map was squashed a bit vertically and stretched horizontally. Probably boils down to which projection to use, but the ones suggested in an online tutorial weren't getting the job done. Then I experimented with a hex grid, but the hexes were far too large and not transparent, so they just overlaid the entire image to where it couldn't be viewed. [:'(]

I can RTFM, but it is huge and I'm not sure it will address things like intelligently choosing a projection for imported maps; i.e., the practical bits needed to convert a scanned map to something that can be used to guide map making in a wargame editor.

Cheers
biddrafter2

Post by biddrafter2 »

I ran out of time this weekend to come up with anything useful, but did look at a few maps and realized source projection documentation will be a problem. It might be solvable by registering a crap-ton of points in the old map (especially around the edges of the image) and inferring the projection. I hope so because none of the old maps I looked at today had a listed projection. That isn't very nice!

Do you have any source maps that you are looking at in particular? You can PM me a link if you'd like. I can't promise I'll get to this, as the day job is busy, but I'll try to take a look.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: biddrafter2

Do you have any source maps that you are looking at in particular?

Hi Biddrafter2,

No, what I did is grab a screenshot from Open Topo Map and save it as a .jpg.

I have a map-making program that is a lot smaller than QGIS. It can generate maps, but I have to generate a hex grid and overlay it as a transparent overlay. I was hoping QGIS would be a more direct solution (and it may be), but I have to get more familiar with it, especially the projections aspect.

Cheers

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”