What to do with Japanese PPs?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

porpoisehead

What to do with Japanese PPs?

Post by porpoisehead »

Hey folks!

In a PBEM I'm playing (very slowly) as the Japanese, I have about 1,200 PPs. It is December 26th 1941 (very, very slowly!). I have no real idea of what to do with these PPs. (I didn't follow Kull's sheet or anything smart like that.)

Any suggestions? We also aren't playing with any house rules, so I already have, for example, Korean units streaming into China, whereas I know a typical HR is to pay PPs for that kind of thing. But I've been reading AARs and I feel that in general my plans (what little I have of them) may not be aggressive or ambitious enough, and I think making use of these PPs in a smart way is probably key to success.

Thanks in advance!
BBfanboy

RE: What to do with Japanese PPs?

Post by BBfanboy »

If you feel you have enough freedom to move your land and air units where you need them, use the PP to buy the best leaders for the most important warships and air units and the largest LCUs.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

In addition to BB's excellent advice on leaders, while you're able to move your units in Manchuria via ground, you'll likely want some of those restricted troops - especially engineers, artillery and AA early on, to move by sea to areas of your expanding empire. To do that, they need PPs to change their HQs to an unrestricted HQ.

As time progresses, you'll probably want to pull some air units and ground combat units out of Manchuria as well....just don't activate the Soviets by mistake!
porpoisehead

Post by porpoisehead »

Thanks! I'll consider both of these options.

I'm definitely starting to feel the pinch on ENG and AA, as I can tell I will need them in certain theatres where they will be challenging to deliver (i.e. all those islands). I think I have a pretty good pool of available units at the moment... it's just a bit of a mind-melt as I try to decide how many of what I need where, for now versus for the eventual counterattacks...

What a game.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: porpoisehead

What a game.

AMEN! I've been playing for 11 years and still get overwhelmed at times at the array of choices to be made. Sometimes you just have to toss the old (non) bitcoin in the air and see how it lands! [:'(]

Attachments
headscratchsmiley.gif
headscratchsmiley.gif (105.46 KiB) Viewed 191 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

As a priority:

- replace leaders on all your combat ships from destroyers and above. The IJN is compact enough that you can do this without much issue.

- replace leaders in your divisions. High land, Insp and Leadership values are what you're looking for.

- change HQ assignment of key bases (Iwo Jima, Paramushiro-Jima, Okinawa etc)

- Buy out restricted units for the Pacific theatre
porpoisehead

Post by porpoisehead »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

As a priority:

- replace leaders on all your combat ships from destroyers and above. The IJN is compact enough that you can do this without much issue.

- replace leaders in your divisions. High land, Insp and Leadership values are what you're looking for.

- change HQ assignment of key bases (Iwo Jima, Paramushiro-Jima, Okinawa etc)

- Buy out restricted units for the Pacific theatre

Thanks mind_messing!

I haven't gone down to ship-level yet, but that is something I'll have to look at. At the moment I've just been making sure I have great TF leaders and I'm not disbanding the TF and "losing" the leader I paid for. That might be inefficient, though.

The biggest flaw I've found in my war machine, once I started looking at leaders, was in the air wings. I was getting aggravated with a couple Zero squadrons taking more casualties than I thought was dignified for IJN's reputation, and when I looked at their leaders, there were a few that were utterly abysmal (one guy had 38 Air!).

I'm also currently finagling with some Construction Companies that were stationed in Manchukuo and can be better used expanding key ports to keep the resource and oil taps open.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

It is a good idea to keep the TFs with the good leaders, even PBs can do for their ship.

Send all non-bought out engineer units to build up Fusan's port because that is the closest one to Japan where you can ship resources from. You can also dump some oil there, then start some CS convoys to start moving at least some oil to Japan from that port as well.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “The War Room”