How to mod?

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

sIg3b

How to mod?

Post by sIg3b »

So the most basic question: If I want to change a few small things, where do I start?

Is there generic modding advice somewhere?

And where are the gamefiles actually? I do not seem to find any .txt files in my gamefolder. How do I even open the masterfiles? I am confused. [:)]
GaryChildress

RE: How to mod?

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi SIg3b, welcome to the forum! To start modding files, I would look at some of the tutorials in the pinned section above. Vic did some very basic intro tutorials, start with the most basic one here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1605901

Then work your way up into the more difficult ones.

That's how I started. I'm no expert but I can make a few changes after learning the basics and doing some experimenting on my own.
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Hi! I do not really want to make a scenario; I want to change the random game generator somewhat. I don´t know if and how that can be done via the editor. I would need much more advanced info!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

What do you want to change? :) It is probably easier to give you advice if we know what exactly is your goal.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Mostly make a few more specific random game templates.

Example: An Alternative Universe Pacific War themed masterfile where the random map is always Japan vs USA with the correct flags and faction names and city/base names that I specify.

More customized random games, really. I thought that would be simple and easy, but now I am not so sure. Editor seems not very intuitive nor very documented.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

first one is possible you can designate the opponents for random games. I dont know how to do it butwe have several random game generator scenarios from modders so I know it can be done.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: sIg3b

Mostly make a few more specific random game templates.

Example: An Alternative Universe Pacific War themed masterfile where the random map is always Japan vs USA with the correct flags and faction names and city/base names that I specify.

More customized random games, really. I thought that would be simple and easy, but now I am not so sure. Editor seems not very intuitive nor very documented.

Making a random game, only containing Japanese and Americans isn't too hard I think. Most of the work is done via Stringlists, in the editor section called string (top buttons). There is a stringlist (datasheet) with the names of cities, and the same for names for faction (country).

Now you can choose to edit them there, in the built in editor, or you can export them to a CSV file, that can be read by Excel, or similar. It can also be read by notepad for that matter, it's just formatted better in Excel. Also the editor is prone to some strange behavior in very large stringlists, hard to explain which. There are stringlists for a lot of stuff there, including officer names, randomly generated for first and last names. What the flag will be is also found out via these stringlists.

I wish Ormand was here, he'd be able to explain much better than me. He is really the expert on doing randomly generated games. I am more of a scenario/total mod conversion guy :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Sorry, that pesky job of mine has kept me busy.

I am not sure that what you are asking for can be done. Actually, it sort of can, but with a lot of work.

I don't know how to specify regimes, or peoples in random games. The mechanics of random games and maps are in the rulevar section (under the Setng button) "Random Map Instructions". Random games are generated using six possible regimes and peoples, these are labeled A, B, C, D, E, and F. You specify the the string list for officers, the extra graphic, the string list for regime names, and the people. The problem is that it seems to use all six, and you can't say which ones you want. I wish you could because it would speed up my random games and I wouldn't reject some. I tried to specify just two, by putting -1 in the entry for the rest. No dice. It CTDs. So, in the current setup, it isn't possible, as far as I can tell. Repeating them half Japanese, half American would work sometimes if you had only two regimes. But, sometimes, it would have Japanese vs Japanese and American vs American. So, it could sort of work, you would just have to reject the games that were ridiculous.

Now, that said, I think it would be possible to make an event that would transform a two regime game into what you want. But, it would require several things. The cities have to be renamed, the regimes renamed, and peoples. I think these are all doable. Then you should remove all the units placed, and then cycle over the cities to place new units for the regimes. It is a bit tricky, but I think quite doable. I haven't tried, but I think all the functions are there. It would take a few hours to build. One issue that you might not like is that with a ANewDawn, you will have to use the pictures for the British officers.

One thing I tried, and I don't believe is doable is to invert the full map. There are some aspects of the map that can't be placed.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Thanks, sounds like it´s not really worth the effort.

I guess I will put the option to choose the regimes/nations/flags for a random map in the wishlist for AT2.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: sIg3b

Thanks, sounds like it´s not really worth the effort.

Thar really depends on how much you want it. :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”