Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - v1.21.00 Update

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

ledrobi

Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - v1.21.00 Update

Post by ledrobi »

An update is now available for Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe. Check out the full changelog below.

The patch can be downloaded from here.

GAME ENGINE CHANGES
- Fixed a controlled unit movement error that led to a CTD when attempting to end the move along several hidden enemy units (EQFL_Sapare).

- Fixed an error that did not properly allow Kamikaze attacks to damage adjacent enemy units. Normally a Kamikaze attack has a 25% chance of also damaging an adjacent naval unit by 1 strength point.

- Fixed an outstanding issue that still did not allow some Free units to upgrade relative to their current controlling major nation (Gilber).

- Fixed an issue where upon surrender, FREE naval units were being bumped out of non surrendering territorial ports (Gilber).

- Fixed an Amphibious Transport error that did not reduce movement action points when the amphibious transport moved adjacent to an enemy capital ship that then attacked it (EQFL_Sapare).

- Fixed a rare CTD that would occur when attempting to place a new unit right at the start of your turn.

- Fixed an issue where Special Forces amphibious transports would auto load into a dead end Land + Sea enemy hex (rocketman71).

- Fixed an error where Subs caught in ice could increase their action points > 1 by switching modes (APrusty).

- Fixed an error where if a Transport unit was selected, the Operational Action buttons would sometimes not be clickable (ruskicanuk).

- Fixed an error that prevented Axis players from being able to shift the Murmansk convoy to Arkhangelsk when cutting off the applicable rail line running from Murmansk to Belomorsk (Aprusty).

- Fixed an error where the game engine would incorrectly move a currently occupied capital to its previous location if liberated. Now the capital will not move back unless the current capital is also liberated (EQFL_Sapare).
- Purchase screen no longer has a unit pre-selected to help avoid accidental purchases when clicking the Purchase or Production button (rocketman71).
- Mods with zero cost units can now have units upgraded and purchased (stalkerbrumikcz).
- Enemy targets and estimated losses for fully visible units/resources can now be highlighted when selecting a friendly unit to attack via the OPTIONS->ADVANCED settings.

- Units can now be put to sleep for one turn via the Sleep Tool mouse hover and pressing the space bar instead of a left mouse button click (EQFL_Sapare).

- Units set to sleep will now also be skipped by the AI when it is controlling friendly countries and units on your turn (EQFL_Sapare).
- Left mouse button click will still perform the regular 'sleep' function.
- Units set to sleep for one turn will have this indicated with a black dot instead of a white dot which indicates regular 'sleep'.

- Naval units can now have a maximum supply that matches the max port strength providing supply, previously naval units were capped at 10 supply even if a port provided 12 supply. All other naval supply rules remain the same, e.g. a 5 strength port can still provide maximum 10 supply to naval units.

- Air units will now gain maximum supply from any source, so long as they are attached to an HQ (Pocus).

- Supply map overlay will now display any mismatched supply values, e.g. if a unit has less than the overlay value, it will show in brackets in red alongside with the overlay value.

- Improved AI HQ amphibious landings where the AI will actively try and land in a pocket of friendly units and not next to enemy unit positions if possible (Mithrilotter).

- AI scripts can now be accessed in the OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS screen via 'Advanced (AI)' for review as well as to disable any disagreeable planning events.

- AI will now consider the belligerence status of a potential Amphibious invasion goal position to avoid potential invasions when not at war with the target position, as applicable to custom mods (wobbleguts).

- HQ supply rules, plus boosting/linking rules recap:
- HQ units, after amphibiously unloading, start at supply equal to 5 + their current level of Amphibious Warfare technology. Supply will drop 2 supply points per turn after that. This allows the HQ to act as a Mulberry for an initial landing until further supply sources are achieved.
- HQ distribution supply:
- HQ supply = 0 will have a distribution supply value of 3 (previously it was 5).
- HQ supply 1 or 2 will have a distribution supply value of 5.
- HQ supply 3 or 4 will have a distribution supply value of 6 (previously it was 8).
- HQ supply 5 will have a distribution supply value of 8.
- HQ supply > 5 will have a distribution supply value of 10.
- HQ boosting can only be achieved if the first HQ has a supply value >= 3 (previously it was > 0).
- The HQ to be boosted must have a supply value < 5 and is now automatically increased to a supply value of 5 which caps its distribution supply at 8.
- This will improve distribution supply for boosted HQs that were at 3 or 4 supply (from 6 to 8), and more importantly, will allow them to 'operate' and 'upgrade' now that they are at 5 supply.
- LOW SUPPLY HQ boosting can only be achieved if the source HQ has a supply value >= 1 and < 3.
- The HQ to be boosted must have a supply value < 3 and is now automatically increased to a supply value of 5 which caps its distribution supply at 6.
- Between two HQs, the higher rated HQ receives the boost, the lower rated HQ is the source of the boost.
- Source HQs of a supply boost to another HQ are now highlighted with a yellow hex outline, indicating they are the source of the supply boost, when clicking on the recipient HQ.
- Air units do not receive supply from an HQ unless they are attached.
- Under supplied Air units, due to not being attached to an HQ, will be indicated by a red hatch beneath the applicable Air unit.
- Under supplied Air units, attached to an HQ but not to the most optimal supply giving HQ, will be indicated by a purple hatch beneath the applicable Air unit.

EDITOR CHANGES
- The following have been adjusted from 5 point increments to 1 point increments for more precision when customizing campaigns (Elessar2).
- Combat Target Data, Raid Multiplier (MPPs), Enemy NM Losses (Per Raid)
- Upgrade Increments Data (per research level), Raid Multiplier (MPPs), Enemy NM Losses (Per Raid)
- Automatic Increments Data (per research level), Raid Multiplier (MPPs), Enemy NM Losses (Per Raid)
- Strength/Reinforce/Reformation Data, % Cost Per Reinforcement Point, % Cost Per Elite Reinforcement Point

1939 Campaign
- France's starting MPPs increased from 75 to 90.
- French 2nd Army at Verdun and 9th Army at 155,82 increased in strength from 5 to 8, 1st Army at 153,81 increased in strength from 5 to 6, XLIV Corps at Epinal; IX Corps at Belfort increased in strength from 5 to 6. This is the equivalent of 100 MPPs worth of reinforcements.
- Resource scripts added for Algiers; Casablanca; Rabat; Tunis, Bordeaux and Marseille so that they start the war at zero strength, increasing by 1 per Allied turn.

1939 & 1940 Campaigns
- New in game messages and Pop Up Events added to better assist the Allied player on how many units need to be kept in Mediterranean to avoid Italian mobilization.

- While Italy is neutral, Spain will now mobilize 5-7% towards the Axis if there are 2 Allied Amphibious units within 30 hexes of Syracuse Port, or 7 or more Allied naval units within 18 hexes of Syracuse Port, as Franco is concerned at the impact an attack on his former ally will have on his own position.

- Added Soviet Garrison units at Belomorsk and Kandalaksha.

- Corrected the Mobilization_1 scripts for Bulgaria being declared war on by the Axis as they were incorrectly looking for Bulgaria to respond to Turkey to have been declared war upon.

1939, 1940 & 1941 Campaigns
- DE 301 for the US to send tanks to Cairo now checks for El Alamein being in Axis hands, rather than for an Axis unit to be in El Alamein (Big John).

All Campaigns
- The cost of Rocket research has been reduced from 175 to 150 MPPs, and Germany’s starting levels in this increased by 1 in all campaigns from 1939 to 1943 (ElvisJJonesRambo).

- Increased Germany’s National Morale loss due to the fall of Berlin from 10,000 to 20,000 points (Mithrilotter).

- The Murmansk convoy now requires Murmansk and all hexes to Belomorsk plus Vologda to be in Allied hands, having removed all hexes from Belomorsk to Volkov from the requirement (The Land).
- USSR's Corps and Army statistics corrected (Gilber).

1939 and 1940 Strategy Guides
- An explanation including a map on Italian Mobilization added (with special thanks to OldCrowBalthazor).
Taxman66

RE: Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - v1.21.00 Update

Post by Taxman66 »

Out of curiosity what is the purpose of this change?:
- Resource scripts added for Algiers; Casablanca; Rabat; Tunis, Bordeaux and Marseille so that they start the war at zero strength, increasing by 1 per Allied turn.

Is this to make launching an early invasion vs. Italy harder?
How much MPP does this reduce France's expected income (i.e. does it match the bonus 115 MPP they're provided in the previous change?)
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

Out of curiosity what is the purpose of this change?:

Is this to make launching an early invasion vs. Italy harder?
How much MPP does this reduce France's expected income (i.e. does it match the bonus 115 MPP they're provided in the previous change?)

It is to make an early Axis invasion of France a bit harder, and the economic benefit of starting with some stronger units is offset by the slightly lower income for a while.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
MJY

Post by MJY »

Hey all,

Played one turn with the new update. It might take a few turns to get used to, but I think I will like the expected loss indicator feature when you click on a unit.

I also very much appreciate the little "*" symbol indicating which categories of units in the build pool have previously destroyed units. I am always looking for those and this feature is so subtle that even if you don't use it it won't be distracting.

On the other hand, I can't say I see the point of the "confirm builds" pop-up. Yes, we all occasionally build a unit by mistake (e.g., when rushed or tired), but I suspect this is not a big enough problem for the vast majority of players to require this sort of solution. I am deep into Barbarossa in one game and I had to "confirm" something like a dozen Soviet builds. At the very least, can this not be set as an OPTION like that blue indicator that tells you about the convoy routes or fortification build dates? As an option, that feature is great. As a mandatory feature, it would be annoying. And the same is true of this confirm build pop-up.

MJY

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

All Campaigns
- The cost of Rocket research has been reduced from 175 to 150 MPPs, and Germany’s starting levels in this increased by 1 in all campaigns from 1939 to 1943 (ElvisJJonesRambo).

Curious why this was not included in WAW as that is where this discussion originated?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4967464

Actually curious why a lot of these changes are not also not in WAW?

War in Europe - v1.21.00

1939 Campaign
- French 2nd Army at Verdun and 9th Army at 155,82 increased in strength from 5 to 8, 1st Army at 153,81 increased in strength from 5 to 6, XLIV Corps at Epinal; IX Corps at Belfort increased in strength from 5 to 6. This is the equivalent of 100 MPPs worth of reinforcements.

1939 & 1940 Campaigns
- New in game messages and Pop Up Events added to better assist the Allied player on how many units need to be kept in Mediterranean to avoid Italian mobilization.

- While Italy is neutral, Spain will now mobilize 5-7% towards the Axis if there are 2 Allied Amphibious units within 30 hexes of Syracuse Port, or 7 or more Allied naval units within 18 hexes of Syracuse Port, as Franco is concerned at the impact an attack on his former ally will have on his own position.

- Corrected the Mobilization_1 scripts for Bulgaria being declared war on by the Axis as they were incorrectly looking for Bulgaria to respond to Turkey to have been declared war upon.

- DE 301 for the US to send tanks to Cairo now checks for El Alamein being in Axis hands, rather than for an Axis unit to be in El Alamein (Big John).

All Campaigns

- Increased Germany’s National Morale loss due to the fall of Berlin from 10,000 to 20,000 points (Mithrilotter).

- The Murmansk convoy now requires Murmansk and all hexes to Belomorsk plus Vologda to be in Allied hands, having removed all hexes from Belomorsk to Volkov from the requirement (The Land).

- An explanation including a map on Italian Mobilization added (with special thanks to OldCrowBalthazor).

VS WAW World at War - v1.11.00

1939 Campaigns
- Chinese AI PURCHASE and RESEARCH script adjustments/optimizations (Mithrilotter).
- UK AI bonus units that arrive due to Sealion now adjusted by moving 2 Corps to the Veteran level from Intermediate level (Mithrilotter).
- Fixed a POPUP script error that did not allow for the display of the informational map position popups in the Mediterranean on Allied turns prior to Italian entry into the war.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: MJY

Hey all,

Played one turn with the new update. It might take a few turns to get used to, but I think I will like the expected loss indicator feature when you click on a unit.

This can also be disabled in the OPTIONS->ADVANCED screen and/or you can also add the target highlights option as well. This might be handy for your air units, if let's say you wanted to disable the expected combat result highlight, to just see what is within strike range etc.

On the other hand, I can't say I see the point of the "confirm builds" pop-up. Yes, we all occasionally build a unit by mistake (e.g., when rushed or tired), but I suspect this is not a big enough problem for the vast majority of players to require this sort of solution. I am deep into Barbarossa in one game and I had to "confirm" something like a dozen Soviet builds. At the very least, can this not be set as an OPTION like that blue indicator that tells you about the convoy routes or fortification build dates? As an option, that feature is great. As a mandatory feature, it would be annoying. And the same is true of this confirm build pop-up.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll look to make this optional for the next update.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

All Campaigns

Curious why this was not included in WAW as that is where this discussion originated?

War in Europe - v1.21.00

1939 Campaign

1939 & 1940 Campaigns

All Campaigns

1939 Campaigns
- Chinese AI PURCHASE and RESEARCH script adjustments/optimizations (Mithrilotter).
- UK AI bonus units that arrive due to Sealion now adjusted by moving 2 Corps to the Veteran level from Intermediate level (Mithrilotter).
- Fixed a POPUP script error that did not allow for the display of the informational map position popups in the Mediterranean on Allied turns prior to Italian entry into the war.

That's a mistake that's on me. It looks like I missed adding the updated notes to the release. I've fixed it so it will be included for the next update, and I edited the patch announcement post in the WaW forum to reflect all the changes that were not originally listed.

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

All Campaigns

War in Europe - v1.21.00

1939 Campaign

1939 & 1940 Campaigns

All Campaigns

1939 Campaigns

That's a mistake that's on me. It looks like I missed adding the updated notes to the release. I've fixed it so it will be included for the next update, and I edited the patch announcement post in the WaW forum to reflect all the changes that were not originally listed.

Ah I see now much better thanks Hubert!! Great changes! [&o]

-------------
All Campaigns
- Reduced Rail Gun range from 3 to 2 (Dorky8).
- Moved Rangoon Port from 175,74 to 174,75 to prevent an exploitative landing at Moulmein.
- At Padang 178,87 the road now connects to the port (Mithrilotter).
- Control of hex 193,61 changed from Chinese to Japanese.
- The Map Text for Vigo in Spain has been adjusted (Pocus).
- The cost of Rocket research has been reduced from 175 to 150 MPPs, and Germany’s starting levels in this increased by 1 in all campaigns (ElvisJJonesRambo).
- The Japanese Light Cruiser Abukuma has been added to all campaigns (Pocus).
- Added alternative deployment locations for Romanian units to deploy if Romania switch sides (Mithrilotter).
- India’s National Morale will now fall by 10,000 points if Delhi is captured by the Axis, and by 5,000 apiece if Calcutta, Madras or Bombay fall (Mithrilotter).
- Increased the trigger % of the Mobilization_2 script for Vichy France to swing towards the Allies from 75% to 100% if France is liberated and there are no Axis units within 4 hexes of Paris (Mithrilotter).
- Added Hamburg to the trigger points for the Volkssturm and Volksgrenadier Decisions (Tanaka).
- Afghan Partisans added (Pocus).
- The P key will now show Spanish Partisan locations after the turn on which they enter the war (Pocus).
- More Japanese AI Fortification scripts added (Mithrilotter).
- In the Supply scripts, #POPUP= <<TAG_78>> now says Japanese Bombers In Midway Hinder Allied Supply In Wake And Hawaii (Tanaka).

1939 Campaigns
- If India is brought into the war via DE 111 in 1939 then there will be an immediate wave of riots in India, impacting on supply and income, and her National Morale will fall by 10% (Dorky8).
- The Spanish Blue Division will now arrive as a full strength Division with 1 experience point (Mithrilotter).
- Added DE 416 and DE 645 from War in Europe to provide the USSR and Germany with dedicated anti-tank units.
- Changed the Unit script for the Flying Tigers so they will arrive at the start of the Allied turn if they are sent to China (Mithrilotter).
- Added Soviet Garrison units at Belomorsk and Kandalaksha and 1 extra Corps at Moscow.
- Soviet Winter will now only fire if there are 3 Axis units within 20 hexes of Kirov, rather than 25 hexes. Its effective range of 25 hexes is unchanged (calcwerc).
- While Italy is neutral, Spain will now mobilize 5-7% towards the Axis if there are 2 Allied Amphibious units within 20 hexes of Syracuse Port, or 7 or more Allied naval units within 12 hexes of Syracuse Port, as Franco is concerned at the impact an attack on his former ally will have on his own position.
- Removed the info only Partisan scripts for Manchuria that only related to keeping Soviet mobilization down.
- Japanese, US AI fixes and improvements in the Pacific (Mithrilotter).

1942-45 Race to Victory
- Added the missing #1275= unit name entry to the German, Spanish, and French localized unit.txt file (fafnir).

1939 Strategy Guides
- Notes for DE 601 amended (Mithrilotter).
- On DE 603 removed the mention of Spain being mobilized by the Axis taking Egypt (APrusty).
- Mention of Naval/Tactical Carrier Mode changed to Bomber Mode (Mithrilotter).
- Added a note to say that once both Indochina and Hong Kong are in Axis hands, there is a 50% chance per turn of Thailand joining the Axis.(APrusty).
- Corrected the explanation of what happens if the Polish government in exile does not evacuate its soldiers from the USSR (Mithrilotter).
- Corrected the text regarding the importance of capturing Ledo (Mithrilotter).

All Strategy Guides
- Removed the reference to Tehran in the section on Turkish Interests in the Middle East as that is an optional rather than default script (Mithrilotter).
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Ah I see now much better thanks Hubert!! Great changes! [&o]

I'm glad Hubert explained that as I was very confused when I saw your post! [:)]

Just to add that these changes are not yet included in WAW because I really want to see what the feedback is from introducing them into WiE first:

1939 Campaign
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”