SN10 Launch Attempt Today

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lobster

SN10 Launch Attempt Today

Post by Lobster »

And landing attempt. Maybe this one will land in a non violent nature. [;)]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTA0GTgFn5E
I guess it's kinda like lawn darts. Throw it up in the air and hope it lands how you planned. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Lobster

RE: SN10 Launch Attempt Today

Post by Lobster »

First attempt was aborted when a raptor engine became 'unbalanced'. Going for a second try now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Smrw-BYe1I

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

OMG...there is nothing more amazing than to see a 130 foot tall 30 foot diameter rocket land. On the ground. With no parachutes. Something only read about in science fiction books. Amazing. Simply amazing. [X(]

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Ouch...
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

Looks like they've figured out and fixed the issue with the landing controls, now a new problem. Oh well, that is the whole point of testing anyway. [;)]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

Wow it landed, it's leaning though, a bit of a fire. Not a complete success but much better than the last 2.
Oops it just blew up!

Yeah. One of the three raptors had a problem and they swapped it out. Then when the rocket was ascending you could see a jet of flame off to the side of the raptors. Likely someone screwed up when they swapped out the engine. So when it landed the orange flame was readily apparent to the side of the engines. And boom. That's what prototypes are for. But they got the landing right this time. Still a few prototypes to burn through. I want to see one go into orbit and then land safely. [:)]

Watching that huge thing land was very cool. [8D]

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Why wouldn't a parachute splashdown work better? Doesn't the fuel for this displace a bunch of payload?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Probably far less cost effective with flotation devices, recovery vessels and crew, etc.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The tin cans they started designing in the late 1950s are one use disposable. Not a space ship. Hardly a satellite. The Shuttle was just that. A shuttle like a taxi. NASA is still stuck in the tin can throw it all out when it's used stage. It's like building an F-35 and throwing it away after you fly it once. Why not build stuff you can use again and again? A real space ship. Yeah stuff will blow up and there will be failures. Sooner or later people will die. Lots of failures and deaths making powered flight a thing. This is no different.

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Why wouldn't a parachute splashdown work better? Doesn't the fuel for this displace a bunch of payload?
Starship is being designed to land on the Moon and Mars (as well as Earth), where there is a distinct lack of large bodies of water. Also, as has been mentioned, seawater causes lots of problems and there's the expense of ocean recovery.

Above a certain mass, parachutes become less efficient than propulsive landing. They are bulky and quite heavy and are dead weight, whereas the engines are not. SpaceX analysed all this stuff to death.
Cheers, Neilster
LiamAllan

Post by LiamAllan »

It's awesome! I would like to see it with my own eyes! T.T
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Starship is being designed to land on the Moon and Mars (as well as Earth), where there is a distinct lack of large bodies of water. Also, as has been mentioned, seawater causes lots of problems and there's the expense of ocean recovery.

Above a certain mass, parachutes become less efficient than propulsive landing. They are bulky and quite heavy and are dead weight, whereas the engines are not. SpaceX analysed all this stuff to death.

Exactly!! Future generations may come to regard Musk in the way that we regard Da Vinci. If you look at the other technologies he is developing, such as neural link, it all points to eventual deep space travel.

Climate change repercussions, the threat of nuclear war, possible overpopulation issues, could make getting off this planet essential to survival. Sounds like science fiction..............so did traveling to the moon...until it was done!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Yes, the world may just become one completely covered in glaciers.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

SLS lifts a capsule. Starship configuration lifts a ship. The bottom line is what matters.
https://everydayastronaut.com/sls-vs-starship/

Attachments
SuperHeav..bilities.jpg
SuperHeav..bilities.jpg (204.62 KiB) Viewed 392 times

OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

It took some trial and error, but SpaceX finally nailed the return of the Falcon boosters. In fact, half the fun of watching their launches now is watching the booster return home. Now, if they can figure out how to recover the Merlin Vac engine they'll have nailed the re-usability factor of for Falcon launches.

Falcon Heavy lands all three boosters

Falcon booster returns home from it's 8th mission

It just doesn't get old. [8D]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “General Discussion”