Euro Weather?

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

baloo7777

Euro Weather?

Post by baloo7777 »

It's been either rain, heavy rain, or snow throughout all of Europe from the first October turn to the first April turn. Northern, southern, eastern, and western Europe. Every.Single.Turn. Does that sound plausible even? And as nerfed as the German Armor is in the snow (my miserable luck in Yugo from October to March before Belgrade was taken), how was there ever even a Battle of the Bulge?
JRR
MorningDew

RE: Euro Weather?

Post by MorningDew »

My opinion - goal is to simulate seasons that armies could realistically campaign in 1939-1945 and it does a good job.
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777
how was there ever even a Battle of the Bulge?

What would the Battle of the Bulge even gain you in a game of this scale. The one hex north of Luxembourg?
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: MorningDew

My opinion - goal is to simulate seasons that armies could realistically campaign in 1939-1945 and it does a good job.

The Allies continued to press on through the Winter of 1944-45 as the British were not resting in the North nor was Patton's 3rd Army before it even needed to rescue the 82nd at Bastogne. The Russians counterattacked in late 1942 north and south of Stalingrad encircling Paulus's 6th Army and then continued to press forward from February to April before resting. Have you been able to save enough specialty points to give a massive number of Russian units the winterized bonus? I haven't. If this was a Napoleonic simulation I would understand better, and there are many rules that are micro for weather (winter advancement, all rain attacks halved, etc), so maybe there could be a little more clear weather in the fall/winter/spring is all I'm saying.
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

ORIGINAL: baloo7777
how was there ever even a Battle of the Bulge?

What would the Battle of the Bulge even gain you in a game of this scale. The one hex north of Luxembourg?

The intent of the Ardennes Offensive from the German point of view was to cross the Meuse and take Antwerp, driving a wedge between the British and the Americans and reducing supply ability... not to mention to demoralize the Allies. The biggest problem for the Germans was fuel (oil in the game terms) and Air superiority of the Allies, hence the attack during the winter storm to avoid the planes. In this game that could be reproduced with armor and mech units, and it is somewhat more than the 1 hex you mention if it had succeeded.
JRR
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

In game scale, the Bulge would represent taking 1, maybe 2 hexes, which you absolutely could do if you threw multiple armor and infantry at tired US units in snow.

You can attack in snow, slower going, but you can with success. If you decide the casualties or risk/reward is worth it.
squatter

Post by squatter »

I agree that the weather model needs work.

North West Europe is basically ok, although the amount of 'snow' is extraordinary - if 50% of snow turns became rain it would aid immersion.

But it's the southern Europe/Mediterranean/Semi Arid zones that need work. Far too much rain/heavy rain in these zones.

Return to “WarPlan”