I'm Making a Basic Tutorial for WitP: AE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cbrandonellis

I'm Making a Basic Tutorial for WitP: AE

Post by cbrandonellis »

Hi All - I found WiTP: AE a few years ago and it quickly became my favorite game. However, I was frustrated at the outset by the lack of any true Basic Tutorials on YouTube or elsewhere. So, in an effort to get more people into this fantastic game I'm making my own. So far I have completed three episodes, unfortunately I can't post links here, yet, but you can search on YouTube for Strategy Gaming Dojo Basic Tutorial War in the Pacific and they should come up:

Episode 1: Intro and Options

Episode 2: The Map

Episode 3: Information

Still to Come: Episodes on Bases, Air Wings, Task Forces, Logistics, Set-Up and General Strategy (I will be putting out at least one video a day for the next several days).

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm aiming these at the complete newbie to the game with at least a bit of experience with wargames in general. If you see something that you believe is incorrect please bring it to my attention.

***Also I will be looking for an experienced Japanese player to turn this into a Let's Play
Kull

RE: I'm Making a Basic Tutorial for WitP: AE

Post by Kull »

You are using the extended map mod, but haven't applied the underlying pwhex files, which is why the Abadan and Aden bases are in the wrong location.

Edit: These screenshots should look familiar [;)]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Admiral Dadman already did a series of videos on the game, not true tutorials but playing the game and showing what things he is manipulating to get the game to do what he wants. That can be used as a starting point for players who prefer to learn by seeing the game as opposed to reading instructions. I say not a true tutorial because it does not go through all the various options for every switch and choice the player can make and explain their differences.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Feel free to add some of my stuff if wishing so.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

Kull - Ahhhhhh, yes. I've always played the stock map prior to doing this tutorial, but wanted it to look a little nicer on video. Thanks for that info and fixed
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

Kull - I will also be giving you a shoutout in a later video and directing people to your set-up spreadsheet
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Admiral Dadman already did a series of videos on the game, not true tutorials but playing the game and showing what things he is manipulating to get the game to do what he wants. That can be used as a starting point for players who prefer to learn by seeing the game as opposed to reading instructions. I say not a true tutorial because it does not go through all the various options for every switch and choice the player can make and explain their differences.

I plan on going from this into a Let's Play from the Allied perspective against the AI or an experienced Japanese player
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

I've now uploaded "Episode 4: Bases" and am planning on finishing "Episode 5: Cargo Ships and Logistics" tonight for anyone interested. Getting closer to being able to link the actual episodes. If you watch one and think something is in error please let me know here - I have a thick skin and really want to get good info out there to attract more players to the game
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Thick skin? That should make good shoe leather . . . [;)]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

Don't make me report you, RangerJoe [;)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In my will I specify that I should be made into a pair of boots when I die.

Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Do you think you should maybe send (instead of inviting them to search for) your draft videos to a couple of the old stagers on here for review, before putting them up of you-tube?
"I am Alfred"
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Do you think you should maybe send (instead of inviting them to search for) your draft videos to a couple of the old stagers on here for review, before putting them up of you-tube?

These are basic tutorials. I'm not getting into optimal Japanese aircraft engine selection. I've been playing the game long enough that I should have the basics down, I was simply asking that if someone sees a glaring error they let me know
Spanno

Post by Spanno »

Thank you for making these tutorials.
The end.
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

ORIGINAL: Spanno

Thank you for making these tutorials.

No problem at all, my friend. I love this game and just want to make is accessible to a wider audience. It is massive and trying to decide what to cut is the hardest part
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

Episode 5: Logistics is up. Checking in at more than an hour and I could have talked all day [:D]
cbrandonellis

Post by cbrandonellis »

Episode 6: Task Forces is now up. Lots of talk about Kull in this one as I am using his suggested setup out of Sydney to demonstrate how to put together task forces
streetsahead1985

Post by streetsahead1985 »

Thank you for making these! Just picked this massive game up and was feeling like I was in over my head. Much appreciated.
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Thank you for all of these and your hard work!
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

I've had ambitions to do something like this for a long time, but never been able to do so for a number of reasons.

ORIGINAL: cbrandonellis

Still to Come: Episodes on Bases, Air Wings, Task Forces, Logistics, Set-Up and General Strategy (I will be putting out at least one video a day for the next several days).

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm aiming these at the complete newbie to the game with at least a bit of experience with wargames in general. If you see something that you believe is incorrect please bring it to my attention.

***Also I will be looking for an experienced Japanese player to turn this into a Let's Play

There are a few glaring omissions on your proposed coverage, IMO. I feel that the smaller foundation blocks needed to support an informed set-up and strategy are missing from the agenda. From a quick glance at what your looking to cover, you seem to plan to cover the units of combat (TF, air wings), and the big picture strategy, but not cover how they interact (IOW, combat itself).

To build up to a place where turn setup and overall strategy can be considered, I'd think the following topics would need to be covered:

- Intro to ground combat
- Intro to air combat
- Intro to naval combat
- Carrier battles
- Intro to amphibious invasions

I'll have a quick watch through if your content so far to see if there's anything further I can suggest.

Please get in touch if you think I can be of any help!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”