Min specs and your guy’s computers

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

coachi

Min specs and your guy’s computers

Post by coachi »

`I’m thinking about buying this game - my main computers are macs but I yes a tosiba for wargaming. It meets the min requirements 2,5 quad core and 4 g ram. On board video card (advanced tactics gold works fine)

From your experierence - not listed min requirements - how will this play.

Thanks

John
Twotribes

RE: Min specs and your guy’s computers

Post by Twotribes »

I have 12 gig of memory and at 40 to 45 percent usage it sometimes delivers a failure on save. My standing usage is 28 percent and I think it uses another 6 percent to run the game. My main desktop uses like 44 percent so I created a clean install desktop. Also it seems after a while the game increases standing memory usage.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Two gaming laptops; one is an 8 year old 'win 7' & the other is a 'win 10'.
No issues with performance, though I play on 'small' planets for the most part.
sanch

Post by sanch »

It runs fine on my 10-year old laptop with 4 gigs of memory and on-board (old) Intel graphics. My only issue is the AI turns take 5-10 minutes to run. Otherwise, UI, graphics, sound, etc are all good.
eddyvegas

Post by eddyvegas »

Ahh, it'll run. The main thing is the turn times, which no one can do anything about. Play small planets, or planetoids, if you don't mind playing on a lifeless rock. If you play the beta, stay away from the 'Survival Stress' option, which will make even turn 1 last a couple minutes.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Per the 'betas', I have noticed a significant increase in AI turn times...even on 'Normal' size.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Round 125, small medusa planet, major war going on with one remaining major power, 1:45 turn time. I have a Ryzen 5 and 16 gb ram. Also in the current situation, I'm able to watch the AI turn play out and see most of the AI moves as they happen. I don't know if that is excessive or not. In this case, with dozens of AI units moving, I don't consider it excessive. During AI turns I either watch the turn or if there isn't much to watch might look at something else on line briefly.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I started a new game using 1.04.09 with full FOW on a large planet and AI turns are very quick - > 30 seconds. Last game was using 1.04.08 with Partial FOW and around turn 100 AI turns were around 7 minutes. (Intel i7 2.6Ghz, 32Gb RAM, NVIDIA RTX 2060 6Gb)
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: gmsitton

I started a new game using 1.04.09 with full FOW on a large planet and AI turns are very quick - > 30 seconds. Last game was using 1.04.08 with Partial FOW and around turn 100 AI turns were around 7 minutes. (Intel i7 2.6Ghz, 32Gb RAM, NVIDIA RTX 2060 6Gb)

Forgot to mention I was playing beta 1.04.09 with that turn I described above. Now that you mention it, turns did seem to shorten when I went from .08 to .09, though I didn't time any other turns. Just ran the same AI turn with the .10 beta and got 1:44, so essentially the same time.
klopojed

Post by klopojed »

For me it seems that there is no direct connection between PC specs and game performance. I have i7-9700F with 64GB RAM - and the standard turn takes more than a minute on a small planet, full FOW.

When I start the game with the same game settings on my older PC it runs about 4 times faster
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

The game has no complex graphics, so memory and GPU demands are low.

The main issue would be AI turn times, to wich it is the usual answer:
- play on small maps
- single core performance is most important for overall game performance
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I discovered that my NVIDIA card on my laptop isn't working and it has been defaulting to the base Intel card, so it appears that high end graphics aren't important.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: gmsitton

I discovered that my NVIDIA card on my laptop isn't working and it has been defaulting to the base Intel card, so it appears that high end graphics aren't important.
The NVIDIA control panel decides wich application is shown wich of the 2 GPU's. This is done because a lot of programms - in particular ported console and low end games - have no proper GPU selection.

You can order it to run SE on the better GPU, but that might just be a waste of energy and heat production.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: coachi

`I’m thinking about buying this game - my main computers are macs but I yes a tosiba for wargaming. It meets the min requirements 2,5 quad core and 4 g ram. On board video card (advanced tactics gold works fine)

From your experierence - not listed min requirements - how will this play.

Thanks

John

I have a medieval samsung laptop
i5 - 3210M @2.5ghz
8GB RAM
integrated GPU : HD4000

Haven't noticed any significant slowdowns.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Vic

Post by Vic »

The majority of the graphics calls do not go through the GPU.
In general performance is about this formula: Single Core CPU speed / Screen Resolution
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Shadow Empire”