Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Tanaka

Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen?

Post by Tanaka »

In my MP game we are on June 1942 and it never happened? Is this a bug?
smckechnie

RE: Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen?

Post by smckechnie »

I think that the Russian Winter hits the first winter that German units are in Russia, so if the Germans waited till 1942 to attack, you would not see a Russian winter until the winter of 42-43. There is also the possibility that the Russian winter hit, but if there were no German units in Russia, then there would be no hit to German units.

By the way, if you are playing the axis and know that the Russian winter is coming, you can save losses by moving air or ground units out of Russia. The Baltic states also do not see a hit to German units in those areas for Russian winter, or at least I have not observed it.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: smckechnie

I think that the Russian Winter hits the first winter that German units are in Russia, so if the Germans waited till 1942 to attack, you would not see a Russian winter until the winter of 42-43. There is also the possibility that the Russian winter hit, but if there were no German units in Russia, then there would be no hit to German units.

By the way, if you are playing the axis and know that the Russian winter is coming, you can save losses by moving air or ground units out of Russia. The Baltic states also do not see a hit to German units in those areas for Russian winter, or at least I have not observed it.

Hmm well I invaded in March of 41 so? Ah interesting tip!
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

Note the sequence:
Allies move December 1941 and expect to hear Germans dying thinking January 1942 is next. But the German December 1941 turn comes before that in what seems to the Russian as early '42 but actually late '41. Then Allies move January 2 (or thereabouts) and still haven't heard any Germans dying and may think there was no winter; certainly there was not the tell tale German line of units of 8 and 9. The Allies scratch head. Then Germans move and attack at whatever there strength was at 0001 hours January 1, 1942. Finally, at end of the turn, the winter hits and Germans die.

Hard lesson for me as I just forgot it and got hammered in Ukraine in Jan '42 when it was temperate!![:@]
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”