TOAW CD

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lobster

TOAW CD

Post by Lobster »

This needs to be upgraded from 4.1.0.11 to 4.1.0.20 because it is causing buyers endless headaches.

The latest patch is 4.1.0.40 but before TOAW can be patched with that the latest base install, 4.1.0.20, has to be run. So actually the CD has an out of date executable. If 4.1.0.11 is installed from the CD it has to be uninstalled. Then 4.1.0.20 has to be installed. Then the 4.1.0.40 patch. So why even bother to sell a useless executable on a CD that is just going to have to be uninstalled to get the game to run with the newest patch? It makes no sense. [&:]

This is a non intuitive process. So either remake the CDs and throw the old ones out or find a way to tell buyers they are purchasing an out of date CD and need to download the proper install from the website.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
rico21

RE: TOAW CD

Post by rico21 »

I would suggest reposting in the game forum as the developer can help you determine a solution.

Cheers

Rico

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: rico21

I would suggest reposting in the game forum as the developer can help you determine a solution.

Cheers

Rico

I wouldn't be posting here if anyone who could take care of this bothered with the forum. The reason I can say people are having problems with it is because there are several posts on the forum addressing the problems they are having. So posting this on the forum would have an equal chance to be seen. Also, the developer does not have the authority to trash a run of CDs or modify it in any way because he is not the publisher.

Fortunately TOAW is also on Steam. So if someone buys it through Steam they will not have this issue. But there are Steamaphobes out there who absolutely refuse to go to what they see as the dark side. So they either buy the digital version from Matrix or they buy the useless CD. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

4.1.0.20 is also available from the downloads section of your My Page. I have a first run CD … just made it a habit of always going there as well.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Lobster is correct.

Anybody who is new to the TOAW game and doesn't buy it on Steam is in for a bad experience.

People who are new or relatively new to wargames just want stuff they buy to work. They don't want to spend money and an hour or two of frustration before, assumming they haven't given up completely; find that they should have read forum XX post YYY and downloaded a patch from the ABC tech forum.

The wargame industry still works hard to put people off.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

It is true, our wargames often can be a pain after a couple of years.

But A. we want them accurate, so B. that means patches, that C. have nothing to do with bugs.

And our sellers want top dollar years later, but then don't have the time and or interest to redo the basic install.

The truth is, if we want our products to be taken seriously, they HAVE to be maintained, or else they won't be taken seriously.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Return to “General Discussion”