How to.. in the editor...

Tulius Hostilius

How to.. in the editor...

Post by Tulius Hostilius »

A couple of days ago I begun to play with the editor and I am having almost as much as fun as playing the game. Even if I am in the beginning of a long learning curve.

I have been making some questions in another thread, but I don’t want to overrun other’s thread, so searching for help I decided to begin this one.

I made some small “cosmetic” changes in the 1939 scenario, and for now the thing seems to be working well.

But now I begun to try a 1986 scenario, the communist bloc against the “West”. The map changes are going well for now.

So, for now:

1. How do I change the countries name?

2. How do I change the alliances designations (Allies/Axis)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Tulius

EDIT: I know that some questions may sound quite basic... but... the answers can save me lots of hours.
Tulius Hostilius

RE: How to.. in the editor...

Found that 1. and 2. are not done in the Editor, but in the localization.txt file.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

For 1) what you'll want to do is create a copy of the default localization.txt file and place it within your customized campaign subfolder. Then remove all the texts you don't want to change and just leave those that you wish to edit. An example of this can be found in the default 1939 campaign subfolder where we override a few default localization.txt items ourselves.

For 2) you'll need to do this in the Editor. Open your custom campaign, go to Campaign->Edit Country Data and in there you'll see options to set a lot of different country values including which way a country should lean, e.g. Axis or Allied.

Hope this helps,
Hubert
Tulius Hostilius

Thanks Hubert,

I may have expressed myself wrongly in 2.

I wanted to change "Axis" to "Communist Bloc" and "Allies" to "Western Bloc", I already made that in the txt file. Thanks.

EDIT:

I will probably open a new thread about this "project".
Tulius Hostilius

Ok… I am stuck again… maybe it is because it is late, where do I change the original units, or introduce new ones to substitute the already existing ones?

There are units in the WW2 that don’t make much sense for other timelines, and I wanted to change that. Probably this is in the manual, but, I can't see it.

I saw the Units ID in the localization.txt file, so I already know how to change their names (I think), but where do I define that a garrison is a land unit or an air or naval unit? I also know how to change their attack, defence and movements in the editor.

But, how to I change a “soft” to a “hard” unit, to a naval unit or sub?

How do I give a land unit the capacity to parachute or to embark as the Special forces do?

Where do I define that the partisans don’t drop their supply below 3?

Note: post edited. I think is more clear now.

BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

I'm afraid that editing units from soft to hard, or from land to naval etc isn't possible, but you can adjust their Combat Target Statistics and research attributes.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Tulius Hostilius

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

I'm afraid that editing units from soft to hard, or from land to naval etc isn't possible, but you can adjust their Combat Target Statistics and research attributes.

Hi Bill, thanks for the feedback. I can manage that in the mod that I am trying to make. And I had already that suspicion. But one more thing, can I give to a hard unit the capacity to parachute (like the paratroops), or to embark outside a port (like the Special Forces)?

The thing is, for the 1985 WW3 campaign/mod, I wanted a unit that could do both things (I would call it Special Forces) and maintain one that could only embark outside a port (the current Special forces that would be renamed Marines).
Tulius Hostilius

Or if I want that a unit moves better in the Jungle/forest or in the hills/mountains… is that possible? I get the idea that when I change those values, I change for them all.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: Tulius Hostilius

Hi Bill, thanks for the feedback. I can manage that in the mod that I am trying to make. And I had already that suspicion. But one more thing, can I give to a hard unit the capacity to parachute (like the paratroops), or to embark outside a port (like the Special Forces)?

The thing is, for the 1985 WW3 campaign/mod, I wanted a unit that could do both things (I would call it Special Forces) and maintain one that could only embark outside a port (the current Special forces that would be renamed Marines).

I'm afraid not as these values are hard coded to the specific unit types.

BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Or if I want that a unit moves better in the Jungle/forest or in the hills/mountains… is that possible? I get the idea that when I change those values, I change for them all.

Essentially yes, though you can make it so that specific unit types will receive different types of bonuses or penalties according to the terrain they are in, e.g. extra morale or combat values.

Tulius Hostilius

I'm afraid not as these values are hard coded to the specific unit types.

Thanks.

Essentially yes, though you can make it so that specific unit types will receive different types of bonuses or penalties according to the terrain they are in, e.g. extra morale or combat values.

OK. Thanks. Those are good news, I also have "Strategic Command: World War I", and there we have mountain units. Good to know. Rangers/Commandos can be good in forest/jungle and I could have mountain units, good in hills/mountains. I will take a better look to see how to implement it.
Tulius Hostilius

How do I turn an hex to neutral?

I see that some hexes can be "neutral", but after I give them other owner, I don't know how to revert the situation.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

The only way is to make them a sea hex, and then add a land hex after that.

Tulius Hostilius

The only way is to make them a sea hex, and then add a land hex after that.

If it works, it works! Thanks [:)]
jsbarker702

Post by jsbarker702 »

Can someone please post a link to download the Naval War mod?

Thanks
Tulius Hostilius

ORIGINAL: jsbarker702

Can someone please post a link to download the Naval War mod?

Thanks

Don't recall where I got it. It is around. Can't find it now.

Try here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4577856, since that thread is related with it, even if for a other game. But this thread is for doubts about the use of the editor. You will probably not find the answer here.
nonamehere78

Post by nonamehere78 »

Is there GOG community?
Tulius Hostilius

What are the file or files that we have to change to make the Axis ships to pass in Gibraltar and to all use the jumping hexes in the Pacific/USA/Mexico/Canada to jump from a corner of the map to the other?

Can we paste here the respective part/parts?
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

What are the file or files that we have to change to make the Axis ships to pass in Gibraltar and to all use the jumping hexes in the Pacific/USA/Mexico/Canada to jump from a corner of the map to the other?

Loop files. Plus Decision for some, e.g. for the Axis ships to pass Gibraltar.

Tulius Hostilius

Loop files. Plus Decision for some, e.g. for the Axis ships to pass Gibraltar.

Thanks.

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”