Baltic Sea - Mini-Tutorial

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

Baltic Sea - Mini-Tutorial

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I have written up my thoughts on the Baltic Sea in World in Flames as an 8 page PDF file (Adobe Acrobat).

It is in the zipped attachment to this post.

Below is the first paragraph.

===

Introduction

This is the first in a series of mini-tutorials I expect to create in 2020. To start, I have chosen to focus on the Baltic Sea. That is a fairly calm part of the map for most of the war, but it sees some action during the first turn of the Global War scenario. Ask experienced World in Flames players about the Baltic Sea, and they are likely to give it little thought, having worked out the pros and cons of various gambits, tactics, and strategies for the Scandinavian countries. However, for players new to the game, the Baltic can be treacherous for the Axis side.
Attachments
MiniTutor..lticSea.zip
(4.63 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Mayhemizer_slith

RE: Baltic Sea - Mini-Tutorial

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Thank you, this was good. I will read others too.

Even if I have played this game some time I didn't know exactly how Swedish resources come to German in bad weather. It didn't matter because nobody ever attacked Norway in my games. Now I know [:)]

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Good intro into,to the The Baltic Sea options.
Personally I would also like a new player to be careful about where to Germany navy is setup, especially which units are in range of a allied Port strike during the Allied surprise.

Also there are some unusual tactics that some players like to hit unwary opponents with.
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Steve, Thanks for doing this ... a couple of comments.

1. "Lastly, the Germans can position a wimp fighter near the Baltic Sea, planning to send it into the zero section box with the German convoys should the Allied player send surface ships into the Baltic on the second impulse of the game." -- I don't believe this is possible. That is, with Germany being on the receiving end of a "surprise" impulse from the Brit's and French declaring war on her, I don't believe she's allowed any air reactions to their attacks on the second impulse. Of course, the fighter could react during any future allied impulse.

2. wrt/Invasion of Denmark. What about the threat that the CW will intervene directly with land and air units? Especially if the British BEF is at sea, or in port, and Germany fails to take control of all Danish hexes bordering the North Sea. In this case, assuming Denmark is aligned to the CW, Gort could disembark from any box in the North Sea and then support another corps and division disembarking on top of him. Add to that the threat of the CW moving an air unit or two to that stack and now the German player has a headache of major proportions. To prevent that I only (always) invade Denmark such that I can flip control of all Danish hexes bordering the North Sea to German. Flipping control, for me, takes precedent over capturing Copenhagen if necessary.
Ronnie

Return to “World in Flames”