Sidi Bou Zid

superhans

Sidi Bou Zid

Post by superhans »

Just finished the new Sidi bou Zid campaign and was decisively defeated as my wagons circled Custer's a last stand at base on T15. Enjoyable but not sure if it is in fact possible to win, or at least gain a marginal defensive draw. German forces too powerful - as it should be. As i know the historical outcomes i decided to go for a full fighting withdrawal..to no avail. Also, i thought the air support reporting was vague. I was'nt sure if they delivered any damage? I suppose that's where the reccy comes in yeah.

Still, a good map and an enjoyable game.
Saint Ruth

RE: Sidi Bou Zid

Post by Saint Ruth »

Cheers, practice makes perfect!
You can right click on the battles for more information. Air Support increases the odds of a battle so it should make a different.
superhans

Post by superhans »

Look forward to Desert War 1942~43? Polish the graphics, refine the visual data summaries, add more historical unit information (and regimental graphics) and its winner!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: superhans

Just finished the new Sidi bou Zid campaign and was decisively defeated as my wagons circled Custer's a last stand at base on T15. Enjoyable but not sure if it is in fact possible to win, or at least gain a marginal defensive draw.
As the Allies you need to hold on to what you have at the start--not a step back! With your reinforcements--counterattack at the weakest Axis point. Passivity will not win this scenario.

German forces too powerful - as it should be.
You are correct; they are powerful. But...block where they are powerful...and punch 'em where they are not so powerful; cut LOCs whenever possible. Give it a try.

As i know the historical outcomes i decided to go for a full fighting withdrawal..to no avail. Also, i thought the air support reporting was vague. I wasn't sure if they delivered any damage? I suppose that's where the reccy comes in yeah.
Try Interdiction...HEAVILY; sometimes close air support is not the right answer to battlefield success.
Still, a good map and an enjoyable game.
Thank-you for your support. More to come.
[/quote]
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Just finished the new Sidi bou Zid campaign and was decisively defeated as my wagons circled Custer's a last stand at base on T15. Enjoyable but not sure if it is in fact possible to win, or at least gain a marginal defensive draw. German forces too powerful - as it should be...
I just issued a Multiplayer challenge for Sidi Bou Zid to see if Custer has a chance. You play the Axis and I'll play the Allies and see how it goes. If the scenario is unbalanced--I will fix it.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Okayrun3254 has accepted the challenge. Looks like an historical opening on his part. The game is afoot...
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Game turn 6 and Okayrun3254 has taken the lead in VPs...his panzers are on the march! Very aggressive and well thought out moves.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Game Turn 11 and Okayrun3254 will win this scenario by a country mile as the Axis. Why? Because he was aggressive and played very well. I did my best. Bottomline: Superhans is correct. This scenario can't be won by the Allies given two players of equal skill. We will develop some options on how to correct this shortfall. More to follow.

Thank-you Okayrun3254 for taking the time to explore the question at hand. Now back to the game...to the bitter end.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Game Turn 11 and Okayrun3254 will win this scenario by a country mile as the Axis. Why? Because he was aggressive and played very well. I did my best. Bottomline: Superhans is correct. This scenario can't be won by the Allies given two players of equal skill. We will develop some options on how to correct this shortfall. More to follow.

Thank-you Okayrun3254 for taking the time to explore the question at hand. Now back to the game...to the bitter end.

Sure thing, anytime.

I have to agree, the Allied player has it tough in this one, although, it is a big confidence builder for the German player. Two German Panzer Divisions in the 1943 are a force to be reckoned with. As it played out in our game, the US units just don't have a chance to get loose from the aggressively played German attack. I think the scenario with freedom of setup would be a more fair fight for the allied player.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254
...I think the scenario with freedom of setup would be a more fair fight for the allied player.
I agree. If you want to play Sidi Bou Zid scenario right now, the free set-up scenario is the way to go. This scenario will also enjoy some tweaks in the future,
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

We're done playing this scenario; I am waiting for Okayrun3254 to do his final turn post. In-stride game-play conclusions?

a. The quality ratings of certain Axis units is too high (Tigers).
b. Allied Air capabilities (interdiction) are spot on. Sustain--No Change.
c. Unit Loss VPs Awarded vs Specific Hex Possession is unbalanced. Retaining Allied control of VP hexes should be doubled as a minimum.

Time to tweak.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

We're done playing this scenario; I am waiting for Okayrun3254 to do his final turn post. In-stride game-play conclusions?

a. The quality ratings of certain Axis units is too high (Tigers).
b. Allied Air capabilities (interdiction) are spot on. Sustain--No Change.
c. Unit Loss VPs Awarded vs Specific Hex Possession is unbalanced. Retaining Allied control of VP hexes should be doubled as a minimum.

Time to tweak.

I enjoyed playing the Axis forces in this one. The PBEM system is really a nice one in this game, and playing a human opponent is where this game really shines. I have gotten more comfortable with the various commands in the game, so even though I am still discovering features more in depth, I am aware that I am making better combined arms moves.

I have some observations:

Seems there should be some mountain hexes that are impassible to wheeled and tracked units.

The Axis supply felt right in this scenario. I needed to carefully plan my supply use. One thought is because the Artillery is very powerful, formations with artillery units should have a higher cost to combat supply. It seems that it would be the case in 1943 Tunisia where the Axis struggled with supply and the Allies had more of an abundance.

The Axis air support felt right for this battle.

Another thought

It would be interesting if there were a disrupted or broken status for a unit. Something between a unit being eliminated or just taking damage.

It would be nice someday to see the size of this battle expand to the Kasserine Pass and beyond.

I am looking forward to seeing this scenario evolve.

bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Thanks for taking-up the challenge to play this scenario. Your feedback on and off line has been invaluable. Once I get a break I will be creating and posting an update to the Sidi Bou Zid scenario.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

I updated Sidi Bou Zid scenario. VPs for possession of VP Locations are doubled for both sides.

Sidi Bou Zid v2
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

I updated Sidi Bou Zid scenario. VPs for possession of VP Locations are doubled for both sides.

Sidi Bou Zid v2

Playing the Axis against the AI for Version 2. So far it looks really good.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Great! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Let us know what else needs a tweak.

Return to “After Action Reports”