Game Suggestion please

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jhyden

Game Suggestion please

Post by jhyden »

greetings,

i was just curious if you could recommend a game that is:

1. WW2

2. Strategic

3. Global

What I would like to find is a WW2 game played on a global scale where Japan and Germany can coordinate their strategy. I think the game I'm looking for is WORLD IN FLAMES and i was just wondering if you can think of any other games that are similar?

about me: i started with Avalon Hill board gaming back in the early eighties with panzer leader, panzer blitz, tobruk, war at sea, victory in the pacific and third reich. Once computer gaming came out i started playing steel panthers (1 and 2), third reich, spwaw, close combat 1 and 2 and others. In the real early days, i used to play battleship, stratego and risk. recently I began playing War in the Pacific AE and CCLSA after a decade or more of no gaming.

thanks for any help!

~

jhyden

RE: Game Suggestion please

Post by jhyden »

here's an excerpt from the pdf manual for strategic command WWII: world at war which can be accessed from their forum page:

tt.asp?forumid=1702

or here:

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1545229738

4.1.5. The Situation in China

When the game begins, the first things you will have seen were two Pop Up messages advising the Japanese player to capture the city and port of Nanning in China, and secondly to take care not to unnecessarily aggravate the UK, USA and USSR. This second piece of advice is extremely important, because when Japan declares war on countries in South East Asia and the South Pacific, this action will bring her into direct conflict with both the UK and USA. Here there is a major difference to the situation facing Germany, as the Germans are able to invade more neutrals in Europe before provoking the USA and USSR into war. Thus the Japanese must plan wisely, so that when the time for war with the UK and USA comes, as it undoubtedly will, Japan can strike hard and fast in order to win a decisive victory. Studying the map, note that Japan starts with a large force engaged in China, a smaller force garrisoning Manchuria to the north, a few units in Japan itself, and with their navy on duty off the east coast of China with one Destroyer at Truk, some units off the Chinese coast, and others in territorial Japanese waters.

~

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jhyden

1. WW2

2. Strategic

3. Global

warspite1

Subject to some caveats I would say Matrix World In Flames (MWIF) is for you. I have played SC (although only the European game and not the world game. I am assuming the concepts are the same for the global game). SC is fun and I am pleased I gave it a go, but it is no MWIF.

But if you go down the MWIF route then you need to be aware of a few things:

- The game has no AI.
- Netplay is still not working as it should.

That said, you can play be PBEM, hot-seat and solitaire. There are still bugs being found but the game is playable in its current guise.

So if you can live with the above then personally I would say there is no contest.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Check out Advanced tactics Gold the scenario Global domination 38.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah too bad WiF doesn't have AI, if you are lucky to find someone willing to play with you. But might wanna do some research before buying that game.

There isn't many good games compare to WitP:AE out there. There also War in the East by GB too.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Check out Advanced tactics Gold the scenario Global domination 38.

Was just about to suggest that. Thanks Twotribes.

On the VRDesigns download site, it has gotten great reviews.

Like this one:

10/10 "My favorite WW2 game... after 30 years of gaming."

Or this one:

10/10 "Compelling, detailed, so many decisions, great unit research. I have spent many hours in this scenario"

It also comes with a manual :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
trustedessayreviews

Post by trustedessayreviews »

A while ago, I got Farcry2, Fallout3, Sims3 (a dud), GTA4. Can someone help suggest a new big title?

I hear Left4 Dead is good, but I think that's made for multi-player.
TrustedEssayReviews has expert critics who conduct in-depth research about online essay writing services. Know about eligibility of the writers who are going to handle your paper.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

your user name is a way of getting around spamming, but in the end, is rather daft and you have been reported as a spammer without even typing one word of spam, it's people like you would need removing from online, as your nothing but a waste of space, something which most honest care little about or the junk your peddling, spamming in any format is just that, pure spam, good bye and have a nice day
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

please feel free to stay and spam, but your username, posts and all the junk you post will be removed and wiped asap, so like your junk, will soon be forgotten, not saying go elsewhere and upset someone else either, as you think people wish to see your junk, well here we don't, so will remove you and your posts, no matter how many times you come back, change names or post, matters little to me, idiots are everywhere, and your just another one on another day, sad but true, be we all will be hear for a long time, but like a bad taste in your mouth, you will soon be forgotten
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

They should just set up a website and spend a little cash on advertising. Zak - you always catch them - your new name -

Zakcatcher almost like Sasquatch. [:)][8|]

Good job
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

when Japan declares war on countries in South East Asia and the South Pacific, this action will bring her into direct conflict with both the UK and USA. Here there is a major difference to the situation facing Germany, as the Germans are able to invade more neutrals in Europe before provoking the USA and USSR into war. Thus the Japanese must plan wisely, so that when the time for war with the UK and USA comes, as it undoubtedly will,

Minus a DIRECT attack on the USA (like pearl harbor or the Philippines), how likely is it that the USA would of declared war on Japan... Could JP have attacked allied forces in New Caledonia without provoking a DOW? Could JP of negotiated that island from the French earlier on?

I guess what I'm asking is, "what would of it taken for the US to declare war on JP" and would this 'lack of hostilities' given JP the time and opportunity to concentrate on Britain and her Allies.

~
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

when Japan declares war on countries in South East Asia and the South Pacific, this action will bring her into direct conflict with both the UK and USA. Here there is a major difference to the situation facing Germany, as the Germans are able to invade more neutrals in Europe before provoking the USA and USSR into war. Thus the Japanese must plan wisely, so that when the time for war with the UK and USA comes, as it undoubtedly will,

Minus a DIRECT attack on the USA (like pearl harbor or the Philippines), how likely is it that the USA would of declared war on Japan... Could JP have attacked allied forces in New Caledonia without provoking a DOW? Could JP of negotiated that island from the French earlier on?

I guess what I'm asking is, "what would of it taken for the US to declare war on JP" and would this 'lack of hostilities' given JP the time and opportunity to concentrate on Britain and her Allies.

~
warspite1

This is another of the great ‘what-ifs’ of WWII. My view on this (and I accept I am probably in the minority) is that the US would have declared war on Japan – possibly as early as April 1942 – as soon as the NEI is taken. The reason I believe this, is a simple look at the situation facing Roosevelt at that time – let’s say 1st April 1942.

1. Germany has taken a bit of a hit in the Soviet Union over the winter, but it’s not known how bad that is. It is still expected that the Germans would resume the offensive in the Spring/Summer of 1942 and the smart money is on Germany.

2. The British have been kicked off continent of Europe and the French taken out of the war. Vichy is neutral but there are elements within Vichy that are prepared to deal with the Germans.

3. In North Africa the Germans are established and, although suffering their first defeat to the British during Crusader at the end of the previous year, have recovered and are heading east once more.

4. In the Far East the British have lost Malaya/Singapore/Burma. Note: Because in this scenario the Japanese have ignored the US it is possible they have made moves into the Indian Ocean – Ceylon – or have headed into the southwest Pacific earlier that in real life and are looking to seal off Australia.

You mention New Caledonia and the Japanese moving into this island earlier – but my understanding was that this island was loyal to DeGaulle and, given the distance involved, it’s difficult to imagine the Japanese trying to force the issue militarily while not at war with anyone but China.

5. Perhaps more importantly the NEI has fallen to the Japanese and so Roosevelt’s oil embargo to halt the Japanese war machine has seemingly failed.

So let’s be honest, if you are President Roosevelt, the world outside of the North American continent is a bit of a mess and Axis victories in 1942 in the USSR, in Egypt (and beyond) and further advances in the Pacific/Indian Oceans and China can be expected – indeed if we move forward three months, the situation in the USSR and Egypt starts to look very worrying (and we don’t know what may have been happening in the Indian Ocean/southwest Pacific).

Of course we know the limitations of the Japanese military and we know what happened at Stalingrad in late 1942/early 1943, and at also at El Alamein, but Roosevelt doesn’t have this luxury.

Just as intriguing is the question – what would happen if the US stayed out of the war (but with the caveat that she concentrated as the ‘Arsenal of Democracy’)?

I suspect that the end in the Soviet Union would have been little different – it may have taken a little longer but ultimately the German Army was broken by the Red Army. Meanwhile, without Torch, the British would have ultimately kicked the Germans out of Africa but the timescale would have been significantly longer, allowing Italy to remain in the war. The concern for the US in Europe/North Africa was not therefore one of German victory – it was more a case of where would the Red Army end up without any British presence on the continent? The Atlantic coast? The Mediterranean?

The war against Japan is more intriguing. In the Far East, the limitations of the Japanese military makes a Japanese invasion of Australia, much less India, problematic for them. But I don’t think its fantasy to suggest that if the Japanese did concentrate in the Indian Ocean and target Ceylon and Bengal (from Burma) that the Indians may have risen up against the British? It’s possible. As a counter to that of course, if the US aren’t joining in the shooting war, the British can’t invade Europe and that means more British troops available for both the Western Desert and the defence of India – but as a further counter, the Australian and New Zealand Governments are unlikely to be agreeing to any of their troops remaining in Egypt. But the Royal Navy did not have the resources (specifically carriers) to counter the Imperial Japanese Navy (no Midway remember) in the Indian Ocean. If the Japanese took Ceylon and created a base from which to disrupt convoys in the Indian Ocean that would severely impact the British ability to deploy in India and send and receive resources/supplies to Australia and New Zealand. Then there is the question of the USSR. With the US out of the picture, and fresh from defeat of the Germans in Europe, would Stalin still attack Japan?

To my mind, and Japan aside, whoever looks like winning in Europe (and remember this is potentially all of Europe) whether Fascist Germany or Communist USSR, the Americans are not going to be comfortable. I can’t see the US being able to stay out of WWII one way or another.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

warspite1

The war against Japan is more intriguing. In the Far East, the limitations of the Japanese military makes a Japanese invasion of Australia, much less India, problematic for them. But I don’t think its fantasy to suggest that if the Japanese did concentrate in the Indian Ocean and target Ceylon and Bengal (from Burma) that the Indians may have risen up against the British? It’s possible.

thanks WS for the expert analysis. i think this is the point i was trying to get at. A JP controlled India may very well of been a tipping point for a US intervention.

~
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

1. WW2

2. Strategic

3. Global

warspite1

Subject to some caveats I would say Matrix World In Flames (MWIF) is for you. I have played SC (although only the European game and not the world game. I am assuming the concepts are the same for the global game). SC is fun and I am pleased I gave it a go, but it is no MWIF.

But if you go down the MWIF route then you need to be aware of a few things:

- The game has no AI.
- Netplay is still not working as it should.

That said, you can play be PBEM, hot-seat and solitaire. There are still bugs being found but the game is playable in its current guise.

So if you can live with the above then personally I would say there is no contest.
I heartily agree with my old mate Warspite [;)]

It's worth noting that Netplay is very close to working properly and that lots of work has been done on the AI already. Actual implementation should begin this year.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. Global enough. [8D]
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
nickkovalski

Post by nickkovalski »

I can advise you some strategy games:
Homeworld / Relic Entertainment
Age of Empires / Ensemble Studios
XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Firaxis Games
StarCraft / Blizzard Entertainment
Civilization V / Firaxis Games
Infierno

Post by Infierno »

ORIGINAL: nickkovalski

I can advise you some strategy games:
Homeworld / Relic Entertainment
Age of Empires / Ensemble Studios
XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Firaxis Games
StarCraft / Blizzard Entertainment
Civilization V / Firaxis Games

Sorry, but this rec is off the mark on all 3 levels that OP was asking for...
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Civilization can do an 'interesting' mod of WW2 actually. But it would be an odd reason to buy it.

I think it depends on scale of time investment.

Strategic Command is hard to beat if you don't want an exhausted brain just from trying to figure out how to even play it. And it is global if you get the recent release.

If you want an all the game you can handle in a box, that TOAW IV is hard to beat. Not sure it can do 'global'.

If you don't mind needing advanced learning, and massive time investment, then anything with Gary Grigsby's name attached to it will deliver. But he doesn't yet do 'global', only theatre specific for the mega titles. His older title World at War is global though. Looks like Advanced Risk.

If you don't mind the deep end of the pool with a brick tied to your feet, Matrix World in Flames is awesome. Hey, if not having a brain dead AI opponent is a deal breaker, chances are any of the other titles I mentioned will be any better. There are NO decent AIs in our wargames for a reason.

I own MWiF. The hardcover manuals are hmm like awesome. I'd have bought the idiotic maps if I had a clue where to find a 10 high wall that was 25' long :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

[font="Times New Roman"]W[/font][font="Times New Roman"]hen[/font] I first started gaming in the early eighties, there were three games that were considered 'massive' in scale. World in Flames, War in Europe and War in the Pacific. (it had been said) that the latter two could be combined into one [font="Times New Roman"]HUGE[/font] game. :)

~

Return to “General Discussion”