Allied Air Commander in Additional Air HQ Scenario?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

LuciusSulla

Allied Air Commander in Additional Air HQ Scenario?

Post by LuciusSulla »

In the scenario, there are two layers of air HQs for Allies. e.g. 8th US Air Force has 3 sub Air HQs (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Bomb Div), ADs could be created both for 8th US Air Force and its 3 sub HQs.
If I wish to replace Air commanders, Which layer should I put the commanders with highest Air ratings in?
bomccarthy

RE: Allied Air Commander in Additional Air HQ Scenario?

Post by bomccarthy »

It will largely depend upon where you intend to create most of your ADs - if you create more ADs within 8th AF than in the lower Bomb Divs, then you probably want to keep the highest air ratings commander in the 8th AF.

Realistically, there are few reasons for changing the US Air HQ commanders - I don't even swap Eaker and Doolittle between 8th AF and 15th AF, as was done historically. Weather and the experience of the individual groups have a greater bearing on outcomes in any given turn. I find that they primarily help with morale recovery. The Additional Air HQ scenario gives you so much flexibility in assigning ADs that sticking with the historical leadership lineup works. I think that the one instance where change could make a noticeable difference - replacing Harris as CO of Bomber Command - costs so many admin points that it isn't worth the cost.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”